I think we might be all in on this year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we might be all in on this year

The Dolphins will not have a winning record, much less go to the playoffs with Fitzpatrick as their starting QB. He is nothing but a career backup who is capable of playing well over short periods of time but he has never been on a playoff team. There is a reason he has played on so many teams in the NFL and the reason is he just isn’t that good.
With Fitzgerald as their starting QB next year the Dolphins will likely win between 4 to 6 games. I have no problem with the Dolphins using this years draft and free agency to upgrade the OL and the defense but
the Dolphins will never be a playoff team until they have a QB much better than Fitzpatrick leading this team.
In fairness to Fitzpatrick, given the context he played better than any of the other 19 starting QBs Miami has had since Marino retired. How many QBs do you think would have led Miami to the playoffs last year? Any answer other than "0" is the wrong answer.

I'm certainly not going to profess that Fitz a great QB, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be and the narrative that Fitz can't lead a team to the playoffs falls apart when seeing the quality of teams he played for.

The year he started for the Bengals they were 4-7-1 when he started and 0-4 when he didn't.

During his time with the Bills the team was 20-33 when he started and 2-9 when he didn't.

He led the Texans to a 6-6 record when they were 2-14 the previous season.

He led the Jets the a 10-6 record when they were 4-12 the previous season.

His two years in TB the Bucs they were 4-6 when he started and 6-15 when he didn't.

The truth is Fitzpatrick had never played on a playoff caliber team or been given a chance to. However, every team he has played for with the exception of the Rams his rookie season when they went 0-3 when he started, those teams have fared better when Fitz was the starting QB.

In fairness to Fitzpatrick, given the context he played better than any of the other 19 starting QBs Miami has had since Marino retired. How many QBs do you think would have led Miami to the playoffs last year? Any answer other than "0" is the wrong answer.

I'm certainly not going to profess that Fitz a great QB, but he isn't as bad as some make him out to be and the narrative that Fitz can't lead a team to the playoffs falls apart when seeing the quality of teams he played for.

The year he started for the Bengals they were 4-7-1 when he started and 0-4 when he didn't.

During his time with the Bills the team was 20-33 when he started and 2-9 when he didn't.

His two years in TB the Bucs they were 4-6 when he started and 6-15 when he didn't.

The truth is Fitzpatrick had never played on a playoff caliber team or been given a chance to. However, every team he has played for with the exception of the Rams his rookie season when they went 0-3 when he started, those teams have fared better when Fitz was the starting QB.

Pennington > Fitz

Had a MVP caliber season in 2008

Last edited:
Well get your laugh ready, because this forum was convinced we were taking a QB the last two drafts
? I didn't have us taking a qb before the 3rd round. Not really sure I agree with everyone having us drafting a qb the last 2 years. This draft is obviously different. I mean blatantly different. Not sure How anyone in any way doesn't have Miami taking a qb. It boggles my mind. But hey I guess nothing is 100%

I know, right? Flores just seems like that guy to me and his words and actions confirm it. Regardless of the future or what history might suggest he seems to think he can win with Fitz NOW. How much? At least 8-8. I think Flores would rather go 8-8 now with a game wrecker on defense that might win him 2-3 extra games than 5-11 again with a red shirt QB.

He just strikes me as such, has said as much and his actions, even the smokescreens seem to say so.

I think pimping the second tier QBs sounds more like we hope 3-4 go ahead of us than we actually intending to pick them.

Building for "sustained success" is not, nor has it ever been, smokescreen. Which is what it all would have been, if what you suggest is true in any way.

The purpose of gutting the roster was to build a sustainable winner. The purpose of accumulating all these picks was to have the ammo to trade up for the qb of our choice. We are 100% going to be all in on taking a qb, assuming that we have identified one in this class.

Maybe or maybe not I wouldn’t be surprised but my gut says we’ll pick a QB
Gotta be, with any luck we will not be at the 5 spot again for a long time. We have the capital to move up if necessary, but we must secure the most important position on the field. Having him sit behind Fitz for a year is a plus as well.

I think there gonna try to Lose for Lawrence!!! If Fitzpatrick bombs at QB, they ain't gonna win with Rosen. It's all about those top 2-3 picks in 2021!!

If we roll with the Ewok as are best option at QB again, we are not trying to make a run this year.

I think we might not pick a QB and instead we'll pick D, OL and skill players to try and make a run this year.

Keeping Fitz as the starter, getting rid of a young OC that looked to be doing well in favor of Chan Gailey.

Having Rosen on the bench, too.

I think we're trying to get as many QB hungry teams to trade up and we'll end up taking one of Young, Simmons, Brown or Okuda.

Not saying I agree but it's just what it looks like.
What have you seen since the last time this was discussed that makes you think this?

A whole coaching staff tailored to Fitzpatrick & Gailey, mostly. If we were picking a QB early we'd have picked coaches from that player's program or who were famous for developing young QBs.

The fact is the Dolphins have so many holes on their roster that they are not going to be able to fill most of those holes in just one draft and one free agency period. So Fitzpatrick still won’t be the QB of a playoff caliber team in 2020 and I still predict a maximum of 6 wins for the 2020 Dolphins.

We cannot punt the idea of getting a QB until next year! We will never have this amount of resources to have the ability to move up in the draft as we do right now.

All it will take is one team wanting to trade up to one of our 3 first round picks and we can have 3 first rounders again next year.

If they were all in on this season there is no way their plan would be to start Fitzpatrick again.

Back
Top Bottom