I think we're all getting a little carried away here! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we're all getting a little carried away here!

Good post and hits my sentiments exactly. I don’t post that often because so many of the threads are to homerized (yeah I can make up words too). I don't think it is being a pessimist, more of a realist. After last year, how can we say we are going to be 12-4, 13-3, I mean come on, we are in a tough division with a difficult schedule next year. I sure hope I am wrong but I ain't expecting miracles next year, just a good competive, progressive team week in and week out.

GRYPHONK said:
Oh whatever!!!

We will go 16-0

Brown will win the rushing title
Feeley will be the MVP.
Roth will miss out on the sack king by half a sack to Taylor who has 28.5
Crowder, well he will suffer an injury in week 6
Daniels he will lead the league in INT'S

Pessimist go away lol!!!

No seriously, we do have a ways to go. We have alot to prove and I am looking forward to predicting them to win every week:D

You forgot that Zach Thomas will hold a new record with 659 solo tackles and 1000 regular tackles.

Kay Jay Harris will also come in and have 2000 yards but Ronnie will have 2000 1/2

finz99 said:
You forgot that Zach Thomas will hold a new record with 659 solo tackles and 1000 regular tackles.

Kay Jay Harris will also come in and have 2000 yards but Ronnie will have 2000 1/2

Yeah that too:lol:

And Will Poole wont allow a receiver he is covering one catch all year!

Anyways -- good post and all, but I think the excitement we all have is a good thing. We finally have something to look forward too with such promise, and the way we look at rookies is the same way that most fans do. We have expectations for them and we all want them to do good, so we make predictions and such.

But, once again, good post. Objective and you didn't bash others opinions -- you followed the rules of a true argument well.

GRYPHONK said:
Oh whatever!!!

We will go 16-0

Brown will win the rushing title
Feeley will be the MVP.
Roth will miss out on the sack king by half a sack to Taylor who has 28.5
Crowder, well he will suffer an injury in week 6
Daniels he will lead the league in INT'S

Pessimist go away lol!!!

No seriously, we do have a ways to go. We have alot to prove and I am looking forward to predicting them to win every week:D

I dunno.... I kinda like the moves Saban has made so far. I think we'll do better than that.

phatmatt said:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of what has happened so far since Saban has taken over and I am pleased with how we made out in the draft (especially with our 1st three picks) but I don't think we should be making any statements about Roth being the SOD or Ronnie getting 2000 all purpose yards or Crowder outplaying Zach this year (or next year or the year after for that matter).

While all three picks are talented they have done absolutely nothing in the NFL yet. A list a mile long could be made of all the 'promising draft picks' teams have had over the years that never panned out. Optimism is good but let's stay in check here.....training camp hasn't even begun and we WERE the second worst team in the league last year (record wise at least).

Again, don't take this post the wrong way because I personally feel that the 4-12 fins last year could have done a lot better and I'm also confident that this years team is a cut above the 2004 version. All I'm trying to say is that until Nick and Co. at least get their first win of the season let's not make any brash predictions. Making these bold statements can sometimes lead to dissapointment (case in point, when Boston was first signed how many people thought we were going to get better?......or another example, i remember reading this forum last off-season and look how things turned out).

I hope this doesn't sound too pessimistic because I am very excited for the upcoming season, I just think that these 'reminder' posts are needed every once in a while.
Good post! e need to keep our feet on the ground! We will be better as a team from last year, because we will have btter leadership, and will be playing team ball!

You know, I understand the optimism and pessimism, but I just think we have a pretty good team.

Everyone judges us by what happened last year, and that's somewhat fair, but not accurate. Notice the swing in our record when Bates took over. This was a poorly coached team.

Now take a look at our talent on offense: Feeley is a question mark but showed he can make all the throws and definitely improved last year. At WR, we have Chris Chambers, who in the right offense or with a QB with some semblance of an arm is very capable of Pro Bowl status. We've also got Marty Booker, who was and could still be a Pro Bowler. At #3 is a guy who improved greatly, and Boston might resign. When healthy, Boston is one of the top 3 #3 WRs in the league. I don't even need to see him catch a ball to know that.

At TE we have a superstar, and at RB we have a guy who is considered the best back in the best RB class in YEARS. Our OL is a question mark but we have the best OL coach in the game. We've also got the coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL last year. As a BACKUP we have a guy who threw a pretty tight deep ball in place of Culpepper.

Then, at DL we have the best DE in the league, and 2 guys coming back from injury. Then you add a pretty damn good DT/DE in Kevin Carter and a hell of a DE prospect in Roth (who has not yet played an NFL down yet but definitely has the look of a steal). Then we get Seau back and Zach is consistent (and will likely be better with better weight training), and our big loss is Surtain but I don't think it will hurt as much as our additions have helped. We also have a question mark st FS, but I think we'll be fine there as well.

Then you add in a brilliant defensive mind in Saban with new schemes, and better coaching, and we've got the makings of a very solid unit--one that can likely compete.

You look at the AFCE and everyone has question marks. The Patriots lost more personnel than Aaron Rodgers lost dollars (ohhh, snap), the Bills are starting a rookie QB, the Jets (oddly enough they are likely the #2 team in the AFCE) are one likely injury away from Fiedler.

Do we go all the way? No. But we have more than a shot in the dark at winning the AFCE. It certainly isn't 12:1. I think that mark is based on last year's record and not this draft (I'm sorry but I just do not think the Pats did as well value-wise as they could have... hey Mankins might be good but did he need to be taken in the 1st?) and the personnel changes in the division.

I don't think I'm being overly optimistic by saying we could go 10-6, and maybe even win the division (25% chance).

phatmatt said:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of what has happened so far since Saban has taken over and I am pleased with how we made out in the draft (especially with our 1st three picks) but I don't think we should be making any statements about Roth being the SOD or Ronnie getting 2000 all purpose yards or Crowder outplaying Zach this year (or next year or the year after for that matter).

While all three picks are talented they have done absolutely nothing in the NFL yet. A list a mile long could be made of all the 'promising draft picks' teams have had over the years that never panned out. Optimism is good but let's stay in check here.....training camp hasn't even begun and we WERE the second worst team in the league last year (record wise at least).

Again, don't take this post the wrong way because I personally feel that the 4-12 fins last year could have done a lot better and I'm also confident that this years team is a cut above the 2004 version. All I'm trying to say is that until Nick and Co. at least get their first win of the season let's not make any brash predictions. Making these bold statements can sometimes lead to dissapointment (case in point, when Boston was first signed how many people thought we were going to get better?......or another example, i remember reading this forum last off-season and look how things turned out).

I hope this doesn't sound too pessimistic because I am very excited for the upcoming season, I just think that these 'reminder' posts are needed every once in a while.
Well said. But there's always a few homers in a crowd. Can't avoid it.

infiltrateib said:
You know, I understand the optimism and pessimism, but I just think we have a pretty good team.

Everyone judges us by what happened last year, and that's somewhat fair, but not accurate. Notice the swing in our record when Bates took over. This was a poorly coached team.

Now take a look at our talent on offense: Feeley is a question mark but showed he can make all the throws and definitely improved last year. At WR, we have Chris Chambers, who in the right offense or with a QB with some semblance of an arm is very capable of Pro Bowl status. We've also got Marty Booker, who was and could still be a Pro Bowler. At #3 is a guy who improved greatly, and Boston might resign. When healthy, Boston is one of the top 3 #3 WRs in the league. I don't even need to see him catch a ball to know that.

At TE we have a superstar, and at RB we have a guy who is considered the best back in the best RB class in YEARS. Our OL is a question mark but we have the best OL coach in the game. We've also got the coordinator of the #1 offense in the NFL last year. As a BACKUP we have a guy who threw a pretty tight deep ball in place of Culpepper.

Then, at DL we have the best DE in the league, and 2 guys coming back from injury. Then you add a pretty damn good DT/DE in Kevin Carter and a hell of a DE prospect in Roth (who has not yet played an NFL down yet but definitely has the look of a steal). Then we get Seau back and Zach is consistent (and will likely be better with better weight training), and our big loss is Surtain but I don't think it will hurt as much as our additions have helped. We also have a question mark st FS, but I think we'll be fine there as well.

Then you add in a brilliant defensive mind in Saban with new schemes, and better coaching, and we've got the makings of a very solid unit--one that can likely compete.

You look at the AFCE and everyone has question marks. The Patriots lost more personnel than Aaron Rodgers lost dollars (ohhh, snap), the Bills are starting a rookie QB, the Jets (oddly enough they are likely the #2 team in the AFCE) are one likely injury away from Fiedler.

Do we go all the way? No. But we have more than a shot in the dark at winning the AFCE. It certainly isn't 12:1. I think that mark is based on last year's record and not this draft (I'm sorry but I just do not think the Pats did as well value-wise as they could have... hey Mankins might be good but did he need to be taken in the 1st?) and the personnel changes in the division.

I don't think I'm being overly optimistic by saying we could go 10-6, and maybe even win the division (25% chance).

10-6??....pessimist :rolleyes2 :wink:

I kind of think fans have a right to get a little carried away with enthusiasm after a good draft, we have several months to get thru till the season starts, plenty of time to level off, why the need to rain on the parade now?

Good post. People here swear by our top three picks when they have yet to play a single down. We'll talk after the season... hopefully they will all have showed enough that we can all swear by them.

I'm definitely excited for the future of the franchise.....I think in a few years Saban can build this team into a championship contender. That being said, I'm not expecting play-offs, nor even an above-.500 season this year. If it happens, great, but as far as I'm concerned, all I want to see is some solid improvement.

Back
Top Bottom