I waited a day to calm down.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I waited a day to calm down....

NYPhinFan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
but to read some of the threads on this board borders on the absurd. You read some of these posts and you think some of the dolphin fans are happy we lost. Go ahead...read them. You would think they are more interested in the QB job then winning...go ahead and look I am not making this up....some thoughts...
1. Stating the obvious...Wade Smith had a horrible day...don't only look at the sacks...he was consistantly beaten on almost every play. Freeney disrupted our play calling...and made Griese get rid of the ball early several times. The problem with this is that we have no replacement...for anyone on this line. Wade Smith will be a very,very good LT in this league. Just yesterday...he was NOT.
2.Another obvious point...our OL is bad. Not average...not ok...bad. We open up no holes in the running game....we give up sacks off play action...when play action should freeze some DL and give us more time. Jamie Nails can't move...understandably from the injury...but he can't move...he is late on blocks...can't get outside...and is a hinderance in the running game. Ruddy looks old...and Perry looks lost...and Todd Wade must be crazy looking for the money he thinks he deserves.
3. We are called the MIAMI Dolphins...not the Jay Fiedler Dolphins....the back and forth with this debate is so devoid of facts...and unbias that it is laughable. Jay would have done this...Jay would have done that....well we have seen what Jay is capable of...yes he has one some big games for us...and he is a tough s.o.b.....but for anyone to say that he has played well this year....well you are just kidding yourselves....he has made NO plays down the field...repeat..NO PLAYS down the field...he has thrown too many interceptions...and not made enough plays with his feet. Griese yest made more plays down the field than Jay has made all year...and that is a fact.... Watch the films of these games....other teams are laughing at us...daring us to throw the ball...Griese deserves to get a stretch where we can see what he can do...yes he will be sacked more....but he will make alot more plays...
4. The thought process that we need a more mobile QB because of our OL is strange. Let me get this straight...our Ol is so bad we need a guy who can escape and throw the ball away????...we can't run the ball....so we need a better passing game...which is it?...If we make plays in the passing game it will open up the running game...we already know we are bad running the ball right now...now you want to sacrifice the little passing we do???

Finally....we are 5-3....halfway point...loking at a 10-6 record if things don't change...and that is with either Griese or Fiedler at QB...the bigger problem is we have no help on the way with this OL....and it sounds eerily the same as years past..."we need to get better" talk each week from the coaches. This was a devastating loss...especially with Tenn coming up....we need something to hang our hat on to give us some hope...what will it be???...it sure as heck won't be the constant petty childish bickering going on with this QB garbage. Do we want to win...or do we want OUR GUY to look good. I am really disappointed with everything....because I love DOLPHIN football...and I live and die each week with these games. All this other garbage takes the fun out...sorry this was so long....

10-6 would be a God-send right now. Look at the teams we play the rest of the season, and then compare them to the teams we've played so far. We've beaten ONE team that doesn't have a losing record, and I wouldn't exactly call the Giants an elite team. 5 more wins with our remaining schedule and the current O-line roster is not really reasonable to me. Maybe 9-6, but I'd also say that 8-8 is a real possibility. Just think about what teams like the Ravens, Pats, Titans, Eagles, and Cowboys will do to our poor O-line. I'll still be cheering just as loudly for the Phins every Sunday, but my expectations for the season are pretty much in the toilet.

Good post

I agree with almost everything you said other than that this was a devastating loss.

It may ultimately be devastating, but I think more depends on how we respond. There is no shame in losing to the Colts. Disappointment, yes.

I have not read all the posts on the board yet, but a few additional observations I would add to your post.

1) Wade may become a good LT. He has had good games in the past. He is not there yet. A point made by one columnist that I liked was Wade did not attempt to avoid blame or hide. Does this automaticlally equate to greatness? No, but it is a sign of someone with pride and who will give his most to get better. Will that be good enough? Who knows.

2)I liked the aggressiveness of the play calling but really did not understand why it took so long to get help for Wade.

3) The defense was nails

4) Not a devastating loss unless we fold. Losing to Colts sucks, but not as if we lost to the Texans (woops). We can still make a season out of this.

5) I liked what I saw from Griese, when he had time. Would Jay have done better? Who knows.

Texphinphan

great post....I'm seriously considering forgetting all this MB BS, and just getting back to following the dolphins as I always have, as a fan, not a critic. There are people who do nothing but try and squash ANY enjoyment you can get out of this.

To some,It's more about being right than being a fan and it's sad. It really is.

I just couldn't imagine hating my own team the way some people do.

Hey infinsible...exactly!!!!!...this is something I enjoy..I love...the bitterness and crap on here does take away from the fun...just going to root like hell for my fins and try to remember why I love football.....take it game by game

I think mostly this lost was a let down because if Miami would have won it would have been a statement victory. So far our wins have come against subpar teams and our losses have been to the upper eschelon of the NFL (excluding Houston...tho they did beat Carolina this week). A victory over the Colts would have given Miami some legitimacy. Kind of like...see...we can beat the best in the NFL...we are a real contender for the superbowl. But with this loss it puts us in limbo. Is Miami a real contender? Do they have what it takes to beat the best?

I think thats why this one hurts more than the defeat vs Houston for example where it was more like...ok we are better than that it was a fluke loss...or the loss vs NE where you can kinda tell yourself...if it wasnt for those 2 fluke missed FG by Mare we would have won.

It was just a really big missed opportunity to make a statement about this team.

***on the positive side tho...Im sticking with this stupid superstitious idea that this year will be the opposite of previous years. Previous years we started fast running up a great early season record only to get beat in the end of the season and ultimately not make it far in the playoffs. This year the opposite will occur. We start off slow and sluggish but finish great and ultimately win a superbowl. Hey we always beat the colts at home so maybe since we lost at home to them this year my prediction of 'opposite' WILL come true. FIngers crossed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by inFINSible
great post....I'm seriously considering forgetting all this MB BS, and just getting back to following the dolphins as I always have, as a fan, not a critic. There are people who do nothing but try and squash ANY enjoyment you can get out of this.

To some,It's more about being right than being a fan and it's sad. It really is.

How true. I loved coming here but I don't believe it seeing all the negativity.

And all the "My dad is better than yours" talks going here...

There is a great message from yesterday's game and a lot of people missed it......we are a different team with all of our starter's including Griese from 2 weeks ago. I strongly believe we will pick up another OL men and we are serious contenders. Look at what we did to the 2nd place AFC team in the colts we played subpar and we almost won. When we get on a roll which may be this week the league better watch out we'll be rolling straight into the big game....it's not how you start it's how you finish and we are correcting are mistakes we've only lost 3 games. Sure I was upset yesterday now I have seen the light.

Originally posted by NYPhinFan
Hey infinsible...exactly!!!!!...this is something I enjoy..I love...the bitterness and crap on here does take away from the fun...just going to root like hell for my fins and try to remember why I love football.....take it game by game
That's what I want to do.

I don't remeber EVER thinking the season was "over" until after the last game. When i see people do this, I just want to grab them by the shirt and shake some sense into them.

"You're giving up????!!!! You can't see that the season isn't over??? Is history not littered with teams who came literally out of no where to win it all??? Is it NOT POSSIBLE for us to do it too????? WHY ARE YOU SO WEEAAK!!!"

Alas,
I keep getting sucked into thinking I can do something about it, then I only end up adding to it. :(

I agree to a point. But, I think Miami fans deserve to have a SB team. It has been 30 years since Miami won the last time. Year after year passes without a realistic shot. We thought this could be the year. And, on top of that, we have seen Miami have some devastating losses due to the importance of the game or how they lost. Look at some of the comebacks made on the Dolphins over the last few years. Most of these games were lost because of coaching and play calling. Not because the team that came back was great. It is because Miami's coaches will not keep sticking it to a team when they are down. And on the other hand, Miami is not a team that makes too many great comebacks.

10-6 sucks. It is a repeat of the last 5-6 years. 10 and 6 with no chance and no hope in the play offs. Until Miami can take care of business and run the table in the east, they'll never be a contender. I hate to say it but Miami needs to have some 2-14 seasons and get some high draft picks. Miami has one super star in my mind. That player is Ricky Williams. Chambers can be great but if you can't get him the ball, he'll never be anything. We need two to three o-linemen that are the best in the game. It won't happen soon. It's time to reload an already empty gun.

Originally posted by Unclemeat
I agree to a point. But, I think Miami fans deserve to have a SB team. *Why do we "deserve" a SB?* It has been 30 years since Miami won the last time. Year after year passes without a realistic shot.* Ialways thought that we had a realistic shot every year.* We thought this could be the year.*Some still do* And, on top of that, we have seen Miami have some devastating losses due to the importance of the game or how they lost. Look at some of the comebacks made on the Dolphins over the last few years. Most of these games were lost because of coaching and play calling. Or exploited weaknesses in the personell Not because the team that came back was great. It is because Miami's coaches will not keep sticking it to a team when they are down. And on the other hand, Miami is not a team that makes too many great comebacks. * we made a few small comebacks just yesterday....we were one rookie mistake(and your superstar) from winning yesterday *

10-6 sucks. It is a repeat of the last 5-6 years. 10 and 6 with no chance and no hope in the play offs. Until Miami can take care of business and run the table in the east, they'll never be a contender.* We ARE a contender...note that "contender" and "eventual winner" aren't synonymous * I hate to say it but Miami needs to have some 2-14 seasons and get some high draft picks. * i have often wondered about this when we are getting toasted by high draft picks in one on one matchups....I can't dispute this at all* Miami has one super star in my mind. That player is Ricky Williams. Chambers can be great but if you can't get him the ball, he'll never be anything. We need two to three o-linemen that are the best in the game.* I agree and if i was starting a team, the O-line would be MY FIRST priority. EVERYTHING plays off of the O-line./i]* It won't happen soon. It's time to reload an already empty gun. * you may be right but I would prefer to play out THIS season, than to make that call yet. Because you may be wrong too*

Last edited:
:clap: :clap:

Great post NYPhinfan

Can't add anything more to it. You have spoken the truth.

How many times in the past ten years has Miami been in the position to beat a very good team and take at step to the next level and the outcome has been the same as yesterday? I love this team but they always, and I repeat always lose these games. Just two weeks ago we had a chance to beat the Pats and what a surprise we lose again.

I am optomistic, every season we start so strong but finish so bad is this my fault? NO...., I root for this team because I love them and this is why I want them to win so badly. I don't complain because they are 5-3 but because of why we are 5-3. We are,after Sundays game in my opinion, no better then maybe 25th in the league as a team. This is why I am down on this team, any other coach, any other team would have won the game yesterday but not us we lose (most) close games, why? There is always some stupid excuse why we lose.

I thought the reason we went out to get Seau,and Knight were for games like this one, to have the leadership to help us through the tough times. 2 out of three weeks we have tough games and two out of three games we lose. There is no leadership on this team in players or coaches. Next week will be another tough game does anyone on this site believe we will win next week? I don't, and with good reason.

There is not one team left on our schedule that I think is a win for us.
After losing yesterday, and the mindset of this team going into November and December we will be lucky to win two more games. Our O is so bad not one game so far this year has Miami blown up another teams D line and it will only get worse not better because of Dave's refusal to make adjustments.

There is a bright side to this season this team will not look the same next year and that goes for the HC all the way to the place kicker. We might only win three games next year but I will take it knowing that we will have a new system in place that we can build on for the future. I can't remember what it is like to have a coach that you know will pull the team together and demand a win from. Evey year teams like the Jets ,Pats, Giants have bad games but their coaches seem to get a lift out of their teams somehow. Our teams do not even come close.

EXACTLY

Originally posted by inFINSible

That is exactly where I am and how I feel. There is nothing wrong with people sharing thier point of view but the constant bashing isn't why I visit here. Some of the trash that gets put on here is just ignorant. It usually starts when people start second guessing about things they are uninformed on. I have been involved with football for over 30 years. I've spent 19 of those as a coach. One of the things I've learned during that time is that the answer is seldom as simple as some of us would like to think. There are many factors that we are not in the loop on that goes into decisions made on the field. Trying to pop off like some have with the "simple solution" ...or popping off saying the coaches are idiots are just a bunch of ignorant know-it-alls. Some "fans" say that is their right. Others like myself feel that if you are qualified to coach then why havent you got a job doing it?
ANSWER: You aren't skilled in that area. You are no more qualified to coach than you are to teach a foreign language that you don't know how to speak.

If we all kept that in perspective when we posted we'd likely have a lot better DOLFAN message board.

Back
Top Bottom