I was wrong | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I was wrong

I thought Jonathan Martin was a great value pick in round 2. LOL. That one still stings.

I remember thinking that Russell Wilson was a reach in the 3rd round :lol: I watched him play a few times when I was at NC State and I just thought he was merely a game manager and nothing special.

I'm gonna stick with Dolphins draft picks...Sammie Smith. At 6'2" 225 lbs with sprinter speed I thought he was going to be the running back Marino needed to get him to the next level. I did not know he was a weak-minded druggie.

Awsi...the running back from Baylor you might have been thinking of is Walter Abercrombie. He was drafted by Pittsburgh two spots after Marcus Allen.

I whiffed on Mike Williams/USC too. I even talked myself off Aaron Rodgers with the #2 pick.

More recently, I wanted to run to the podium for Bjoern Werner.

Mark Sanchez I thought he would be out of the league by now

Odrick was a whiff for me ~ I thought he would be special in the Richard Seymour mold

I whiffed on Mike Williams/USC too. I even talked myself off Aaron Rodgers with the #2 pick.

most here were begging for Werner until he showed himself to not be that athletic. Very out of place right now as a 3-4 OLB.

Mike Williams just never had the commitment. After he got screwed over and had to sit out a year he showed up to every team fat (to the point that the Titans started giving him reps at H-Back). In 2010 he got himself in decent enough shape to make the Seahawks and actually was a solid WR for them, but then he got lazy again.

I thought Jonathan Martin was a great value pick in round 2. LOL. That one still stings.

I did too based more on preseason hype (where many had him a top 5 pick). However going back there were some red flags in the lead up to the draft and it's clear now his flaws were masked by all the other NFL talent on that offense. Still at the time, I was wrong too there.

At the time, I felt there was no way you could pass on Quinn if he fell to you. Then after he went to Cleveland you started hearing stories about he was only interested in working out and looking good rather than being good, and how he had a bit of an attitude issue with fans that made you glad we didn't get him.

Similar thing with Vernon Gholston. One of only 2 guys to get a sack on Jake Long his final year at Ohio State, and looked like a freak. I remember reading scouting reports (even posted them here) about how scouts felt he would be a bust because he was more worried about looking good than being good. THe report had one scout say at the OSU pro day he went to Gholston and said "You could be the best pass rusher in the league but you won't because you don't care, you'll be out of the league in 3 years" and Gholston wasn't bothered by the comment at all.
Yep, Quinn was a major bomb for me. Look on the bright side, you and I were absolutely correct for being angry with the Ginn pick, we just messed up the alternative. Willis was the treasure at that pick, not Ginn or Quinn.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Let me go through some from each draft, starting with 2007.

2007: Thought Dwayne Jarrett was a stud steal for the Panthers in the 2nd round.

2008: Thought Matt Ryan was going to be a bust due to throwing too many untimely interceptions, and thought we made the right pick with Jake Long. Also, a bonus homer projection that I whiffed on: I thought UCF RB Kevin Smith was going to be a stud. That's because I watched him run for #2 on the all time season yardage list my freshman year at UCF, and thought he had Emmit Smith-like vision. But injuries and the Detroit Lions doomed him.

2009: Thought Aaron Curry was going to be a 10-15 year starter (I'm sure most of us got that one wrong)

2010: I also fell for Mt. Cody and wanted the Dolphins to draft him despite the weight issues. He's still in the league though, but not all that impactful.

2011: I know he's been much maligned as of late, but I never in my wildest dreams expected Colin Kaepernick to have the kind of success that he had. I thought he was a pure college/system running QB. Never would I have thought that he'd be an NFL starter, let alone lead his team to a superbowl.

2012: Loved Justin Blackmon. I still think he has all the talent in the world but of course he has bigger issues. I thought that he could have helped tremendously in Blake Bortles' developement in Jacksonville.

2013: I too thought Manti Te'o would be a bust, due to what I saw in the national championship game.

2014: And yes, I too thought Kelvin Benjamin was going to be a big bust. I thought he just had size but was soft and didn't have any separation ability. I can't believe he became a successful #1 receiver for the Panthers, especially when defenses had nobody else to plan for.
I agreed with you on a lot of those but I knew Benjamin would be a stud. I just watched him dominate too much in college not to. He is still really young and will continue to get better if he keeps his head straight.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Yeah, I was way too high on Werner because of my Seminole homer goggles! Bombed that one.

Yep, Quinn was a major bomb for me. Look on the bright side, you and I were absolutely correct for being angry with the Ginn pick, we just messed up the alternative. Willis was the treasure at that pick, not Ginn or Quinn.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

I agreed with you on a lot of those but I knew Benjamin would be a stud. I just watched him dominate too much in college not to. He is still really young and will continue to get better if he keeps his head straight.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Yeah, I was way too high on Werner because of my Seminole homer goggles! Bombed that one.

I still have no idea how anybody thought Ginn was a good idea. I watched him for 3 years at Ohio State and when he was asked to run a route that wasn't a go he was worthless. Way too raw as a WR for my liking (and while I'm a Michigan fan I've given Ohio State players tons of props. Joey Bosa is a man crush for next year).

Not that I didn't think Ginn had potential because I did, but I remember saying even back then, if we plan on using gadget plays to get him the ball he could/should be useful, but if we were expecting him to be a reliable WR we'd screw ourselves.

I still have no idea how anybody thought Ginn was a good idea. I watched him for 3 years at Ohio State and when he was asked to run a route that wasn't a go he was worthless. Way too raw as a WR for my liking (and while I'm a Michigan fan I've given Ohio State players tons of props. Joey Bosa is a man crush for next year).

Not that I didn't think Ginn had potential because I did, but I remember saying even back then, if we plan on using gadget plays to get him the ball he could/should be useful, but if we were expecting him to be a reliable WR we'd screw ourselves.
I didn't know much about him outside of his blinding speed. However, he was so frail, I just didn't see him as a number 1. Water under the bridge, I guess.

Ginn had 5 or 6 kickoff and punt return TD's at OS and was obviously the fastest guy on the field whenever he played.
I thought he would be great with the Fins and besides we got our QB (Beck) in the second.

See why I don't post in the draft section :lol:

Ginn had 5 or 6 kickoff and punt return TD's at OS and was obviously the fastest guy on the field whenever he played.
I thought he would be great with the Fins and besides we got our QB (Beck) in the second.

See why I don't post in the draft section :lol:
Yeah, you and me both. I'll leave it to people who know what the hell they are talking about. Now food, boobs, and sarcasm...these I know! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom