Ideal Offseason: Free agency vs Draft WRs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideal Offseason: Free agency vs Draft WRs

PYRO

Family Man
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
With Free Agency only 2 weeks away. I have seen a lot of great threads on indivual players when it comes to the top tier talents at WR, but was curious what some of you deeper minded fans think in an ideal off season in a consensus area of need.

Surface area thoughts are obviously, Big in free agency and depth in the draft, vice versa, or double dipping (Just going big FA and Top Pick) . I'll list the top prospects for FA here to bring them into view. What's are some of your thoughts on value in what the Dolphins need most? Just for some Input I like Higgins as he lacks measurable but gets open, David Moore plays hard but over shadowed in a decent core of receivers in lockett and Metcalf, and Curtis Samuel seems to be a site favorite. I'd say negative on any of the elder players, I don't see Chris or Flores targeting them. In the Draft I really like Bateman and Waddle, Elijah Moore in the 4th would be a steal imo with speed and talent that would help in the slot.

Chris Godwin
Allen Robinson
Kenny Golladay
Will Fuller
Juju
Corey Davis
Antonio Brown
TY Hilton
Curtis Samuel
Marvin Jones
Nelson Agholar
Sammy Watkins
David Moore
AJ green
Larry Fitzgerald
Rashaad Higgins
Breshad Perriman

Draft
Jamarr Chase (LSU)
Devonye Smith (AL)
Jaylen Waddle (AL)
Kedarius Toney (Florida)
Terrance Marshall (LSU)
Tutu Atwell (Louisville)
Rashad Bateman (Minnisota)
Rondale Moore (Purdue)
Marquez Stevenson (Houston)
Sage Sarratt (Wake Forest)
Elijah Moore (Ole Miss)
Tamorrian Terry (FSU)
Jhaman Ausan (T A&M)

If we were to sign A-Rob or Godwin to top WR money which i'd be completely cool with then I wouldn't start looking for another WR till round 3 or 4.

If we don't want to pay top WR money then target Marvin Jones, Curtis Samuel, or T.Y. Hilton. I'd only sign one of them as long as it's a reasonable deal. If one of them happened then we have to target a WR round 1

Miami needs to judge the Watson-trade realistically over the next two weeks. Essentially, it determines what they should do in free agency. If Miami thinks they can acquire Watson, they need to be aggressive in free agency. Watson's hit is only $15M, and I am not sure if Hou absorbs that. They would have to re-do deals, but with no picks, Miami would have fill the cupboards. If Miami doesn't feel they can get Watson, then it is back to slow and steady. Makes no sense going aggressive in free agency when clearly they are a couple years away.

FA Godwin
1a. Parsons
1b. Trade up for Pitts/Waddle ... if not possible 1b. Harris

I would draft a WR in the 1st round regardless of what they do in FA at that position.

I should have been more clear... Assume we are not getting Watson, kinda don't wanna hear his name anymore Lol. Just assume we are building around our Franchise QB in Tua.

With our cap space in mind, what are the pros and cons of the existing FAs and how it plays into our draft with how you would like to see it. Like I would personally like to see us pick up Samuel or Higgins and go for Waddle and/or Bateman.

Robinson is my top target in FA. He makes the entire offense better.
I still look to add one of the top 5 WR in the draft as well.
I also believe having a real RB that keeps teams on their toes will put this team above last year's win totals.

My dream off-season.
Sign Robinson
Draft Chase or Smith and draft Harris.
Tua another year healthy and shinny new toys 😃

I'd be looking to take a WR reasonably early regardless of free agency.

Rookie contract can save you a lot of money!
That's very true when it come's to finances but what if the rookie turns out to be a bust? Yeah their rookie contract won't hurt as bad as someone who got paid top dollar in free agency that didn't work out. There is still a reason why free agents get paid a lot tho and it's because they're proven so most teams know what they're paying for when spending the big dollars. If we were to pass on A-Rob or Godwin, then we HAVE to hit our pick when we draft WR. Being cheap can hurt a team just as bad as spending a lot!

That beings said, i'm excited regardless what we do this offseason. There are so many different options and paths we can go down this year. This is gonna be a fun offseason to watch for sure!

That's very true when it come's to finances but what if the rookie turns out to be a bust? Yeah their rookie contract won't hurt as bad as someone who got paid top dollar in free agency that didn't work out. There is still a reason why free agents get paid a lot tho and it's because they're proven so most teams know what they're paying for when spending the big dollars. If we were to pass on A-Rob or Godwin, then we HAVE to hit our pick when we draft WR. Being cheap can hurt a team just as bad as spending a lot!

That beings said, i'm excited regardless what we do this offseason. There are so many different options and paths we can go down this year. This is gonna be a fun offseason to watch for sure!
I agree a rookie could have struggles particularly early on which is why we need to do both.

Solid FA pickup to go alongside Parker and pick a rookie early to learn from both. Win win situation.

I would include D’Wayne Eskridge in your list of draft options. I think he is a YAC prospect we will be looking at.
I agree we should make WR an early priority and also consider the likes of Eskeridge and maybe Atwell later in the draft.

This seems to be a very good draft for receivers, so I'd say the value is there as opposed to free agency. And personally not a fan of most of those FAs, or at least not for the likely cost.

I could see Curtis Samuel, but all of the other higher priced FA WRs seem like a very poor use of resources. It is much more sensible to use the draft for a WR(s).

Back
Top Bottom