Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

Mondo_Man

Wooooo!!!!
Reaction score
All this talk about the offense is critical; but I was thinking, how and with who are the Dolphins going to fill next years defensive holes?

Marion is a goner, Freeman?

O-Gun might ask for too much money...a rookie?

Seau is getting really old (mid 30s), what kind of depth is there at LB?

Bowens might also be gone unless he takes a considerable paycut, who will lead our vaunted run defense in the middle?

The last thing I want is what happened to the Bills, they spent a lot of effort fixing the Defense at the expense of the offense and last year the O tanked while the D was in the top 10 and they still didn't make the playoffs.

Thoughts?

we need Marion back IMO since I expect Freeman to leave - that c/b a big hole since we do not really have a young guy w/any experience.

Since we could lose Hendricks, we need Moore and Jenkins to step up big time. Jr. is overpaid IMO and s/b asked to take a pay cut or else

DE we have plenty of guys to try and replace OGun - starting w/a rotation of J Will and D Bo

DT we have Zgnonina and Chester as starter if we cannot get Tim Bo back at the right price, but I expect he will be back

Originally posted by Mondo_Man
The last thing I want is what happened to the Bills, they spent a lot of effort fixing the Defense at the expense of the offense and last year the O tanked while the D was in the top 10 and they still didn't make the playoffs.

Thoughts?

Where have you been, That's allready happened to us.....:(

All this talk about the offense is critical; but I was thinking, how and with who are the Dolphins going to fill next years defensive holes?

Marion is a goner, Freeman?

O-Gun might ask for too much money...a rookie?

Seau is getting really old (mid 30s), what kind of depth is there at LB?

Bowens might also be gone unless he takes a considerable paycut, who will lead our vaunted run defense in the middle?

Thoughts?

I think Marion HAS to be gone. Sure, he made the Pro Bowl..which shows how much fans & players respect him, but C'mon..we all saw what happened in the first Patriot game (among others) He bit on the play action...and it cost us. I realize that the loss wasn't only his fault but at the time...he didn't come up big when the game was on the line. Madison needs more help..he needs a faster FS. Freeman can help.

I don't want a rookie at DE. That means Miami might be spending another high draft pick on defense..bad idea. Free agency could help (Eric Hicks?) as long as they don't spend too much or maybe Miami feels that David Bowens is ready.

Seau did pretty good. He needs to remember where the QB is. I'm sick of seeing Seau run right by him...why does he always miss? Maybe a second year in our scheme will help him. The depth is ok..the key is Eddie Moore. He needs to contribute in some way.

Hmm, Bowens..interesting. I don't know if Miami would part ways with him. Unless they figure that he's breaking down. Free Agency could be an answer here...providing that they get someone who makes LESS than Tim Bowens. The "hot" name out there besides big mouth Sapp is Robaire Smith from TENN. He might come cheaper than the rest..

Keith Traylor - Chicago
Fred Robbins - Minnesota
Ted Washington - New England
Chester McGlockton - New York Jets
Cornelius Griffin - New York Giants
Grady Jackson - New Orleans
Kenny Smith - New Orleans (RFA)
Dana Stubblefield - Oakland
Paul Grasmanis - Philadelphia
Brian Young - St. Louis
Warren Sapp - Tampa Bay
Robaire Smith - Tennessee

We'll see. The key is replacing Ogunleye, Marion and Bowens with less expensive players that can be "diamond in the rough" types.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timbo will be back, as Marino probably will too. I think Adewale Ogunleye is gone though, but I think we could benefit from that in the long run.

Re: Re: Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

I think he meant the other way around.....the Bills put their efforts into their defense, and their offense suffered, while the Dolphins would be putting all their efforts into their offense and seeing the defense suffer.....if O-Gun, Timbo, Marion and Freeman are all gone, and we don't find adequate replacements (a la Buffalo letting Peerless Price go), then there could be problems. I think the D will be okay, though.

Originally posted by chambers84
Timbo will be back, as Marino probably will too. I think Adewale Ogunleye is gone though, but I think we could benefit from that in the long run.

I like Timbo, but I really don't want Brock Marion back. Sammy Knight is just as slow..but at SS his responsibilities are much more in the running game...and besides, Surtain doesn't need as much help as Madison in the pass defense. Marion is the weak link..I'm certain of that.

19th in the league in pass defense? That's a joke considering the great pass rush Miami had. Someone failed.

Re: Re: Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

I think you should check the stats....

2003 Miami's defense was #3 in points allowed.
Miami's defense was 10th overall in yards.
Miami's defense did not allow a 100 yards rusher all year.
Miami's defense had the total sacks by a DE duo.

I'd say that is pretty kick ***.

Marion and Bowen can be back, Ogun, may be the key to up the O, so it is he who may not return, ie. he may get us a 1st and 3rd round pick or he may bring in much needed trading power. David Bowen was the starter ahead of Ogun until David broke his hand that preseason and Ogun went on to have a great year, but we have D. bowen, Williams, Otis Grigsby, who seem to be a monster last preseason. so I'm not so worried about the DE position as in Safety position, it's time for Freeman to step up. Marion may have to be a backup to give Freeman the time to take over and Marion a safety blanket for one year. Moore and Jenkins are definite keys this year, both must stay healthy. I would also like to see Bell and Alphonso Roundtree step up to give us some depth at corner and safety, we need to bring in one more good FA tackle to complete with Dario Romero to see if we could get an upgrade just in case.

Freeman can be a starter, and he's younger and faster than Marion. The only reason he didn't start this year is because wanny wants some big All-Star Defense and wasted a bunch of money on Sammy Knight, who is great but we didn't need a saftey last year... Stupid. I'm not sure if I want to lose Ogunleye or not. Especially not for a Lower pick like Philly or NE, now's not the time to sacrafice our Defense for a strong Offense. I think Darnell Dockett would be an excellent pick at DT if he's still available at round 3, but I doubt it. I'd really like to pick up Dhani Jones in the FA to help out at LB and Replace Seau in 2005.

It's like Gladsadmad said, we can't neglect our D in this offseason or we'll end up like the Bills. We desperately need to install some youth on that side of the ball. It's my opinion that if we keep building on our Strong Defense, and just try to get the offense a little better, (in the top 20 would be nice...) we'll be a major contender again.

Well, as I have stated a lot of times before, I think Yeremiah Bell could challenge for a starting spot at free safety.

He was a first-rounder until he got injured in college.

gunsnroses, love yur name dude. You think axl will ever release his record?:topic:

Originally posted by Lukin
Freeman can be a starter, and he's younger and faster than Marion. The only reason he didn't start this year is because wanny wants some big All-Star Defense and wasted a bunch of money on Sammy Knight, who is great but we didn't need a saftey last year... Stupid.
Freeman is a UFA so FS will be a huge hole waiting to give up the big play if Brock is cut in a cap saving move

I know he's a UFA and he was pissed off cause wanny benched him. But we should be able to get him to stay if we promise him the starting job.

Re: Re: Re: Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

I think you should check the stats....

2003 Miami's defense was #3 in points allowed.
Miami's defense was 10th overall in yards.
Miami's defense did not allow a 100 yards rusher all year.
Miami's defense had the total sacks by a DE duo.

I'd say that is pretty kick ***.

I think that is what he means, we have spent all the dough on the defense and none on the offense and the D is great but the O stinks. He is talking about it already happening not about the prospect of us sinking all our available money in O and none in D and that failing.

But you know I could just as easy be wrong :infins:

Back
Top Bottom