Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

Originally posted by Lukin
I know he's a UFA and he was pissed off cause wanny benched him. But we should be able to get him to stay if we promise him the starting job.
at the right price I c/live with that :D

Brock Marion faded during the season..it's surprising..

1st four games.. 2 INT's 4 passes defensed

last 12 games....1 INT....3 passes defensed

I guess he was never around the ball..That's bad for a free safety who's job it is to be around the ball.

of course, all the other FS in the AFC were worse which is why Brock is starting the PB for a 2nd straight year

Originally posted by Mondo_Man
All this talk about the offense is critical; but I was thinking, how and with who are the Dolphins going to fill next years defensive holes?

Marion is a goner, Freeman?

O-Gun might ask for too much money...a rookie?

Seau is getting really old (mid 30s), what kind of depth is there at LB?

Bowens might also be gone unless he takes a considerable paycut, who will lead our vaunted run defense in the middle?

The last thing I want is what happened to the Bills, they spent a lot of effort fixing the Defense at the expense of the offense and last year the O tanked while the D was in the top 10 and they still didn't make the playoffs.

well, we've done the same thing already. 40+ mil on a handful of D probowlers and still can't make the playoffs. It's pretty damn foolish to put all your eggs in the D basket..........unless you expect them to score the necessary points as well. The way our whole team has been built [pro D] you can not truly expect miracles from the D and the MUST play tip top everytime and that's not a realistic expectation. The D dingle handedly cost us 2-3 games this year and with those 3 gms, we win the division. nE on the other hand has ab adequate enough o to carry their D when it slips, our's, by contrast, rarely can and shouldn't be expected to.
Thoughts?

Originally posted by dolphan39
of course, all the other FS in the AFC were worse which is why Brock is starting the PB for a 2nd straight year

Again..we're going to go over this? Ruben Brown made the Pro Bowl..check these freakin' stats and tell me if he was worthy..

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=3161&Submit=Go

He's given up over 17 sacks in the last 2 years and commited 15 penalties..but he's made the Pro Bowl BOTH years. I know that Bledose is a statue, but c'mon..if he really was a great guard would he give up so much?

Is that PRO BOWL to you? Pro Bowl means squat! Do you really feel that Marion had a great year? The stats say otherwise.

To repeat...in the last 12 games of 2003 Marion had exactly 1 INT and 3 passes defensed..is that Pro Bowl worthy? I guess so..yeesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Mondo_Man

Seau is getting really old (mid 30s), what kind of depth is there at LB?

Hey, why are you worried about this? We have the GREAT Eddie Moore! He's the next Ray Lewis, haven't you heard?

That is a bit harsh, but until he gets it done, Dave deserves it.
;)

These FS's were more worthy..

NE-Eugene Wilson 4 INT's 9 PD
CLE-Earl Little 6 INT's 9 PD

It was clearly a bad year for FS's...that's the ONLY reason Marion got voted in.

Off Topic

Originally posted by Lukin
gunsnroses, love yur name dude. You think axl will ever release his record?:topic:

OT - I hope so. In an interview Dizzy just said that the CD is finished and they are waiting to release it. It should come out this year. Have you heard any of their new songs?

Re: Off Topic

Originally posted by gunsnroses

OT - I hope so. In an interview Dizzy just said that the CD is finished and they are waiting to release it. It should come out this year. Have you heard any of their new songs?

They've been saying that for about 4 years lol. I've heard a few songs from the Rock In Rio performance a while back but they were bootlegs and really bad quality. If they all sound like 'Oh My God' it'll be great. Axl's crazy.:goof:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ideas for filling 2004 defensive holes?

Originally posted by MNFINFAN

I think that is what he means, we have spent all the dough on the defense and none on the offense and the D is great but the O stinks. He is talking about it already happening not about the prospect of us sinking all our available money in O and none in D and that failing.

But you know I could just as easy be wrong :infins:

Nope, you're right. That's what I meant and I don't see how anyone could see it as being meant a different way ......:huh:

I say let Marion and Freeman walk,then move Sam to free safty,and then sign Champ Baily.(I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING,AM I DREAMING,OH YEAH,BUT WHAT A DREAM IT IS)

Originally posted by lynchmobb34
I say let Marion and Freeman walk,then move Sam to free safty,and then sign Champ Baily.(I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING,AM I DREAMING,OH YEAH,BUT WHAT A DREAM IT IS)

No way we get bailey. Skins will franchise him first. Also, i don't see madison as a good enough tackler at safety. i'd rather just trade him altho it would be next to impossible to do that.

Yeremiah Bell was never going to even sniff the first round, he was thought of as a small school gem who may with a good year work his way into contention for the first day of the draft, mid third.

That said, he has some talent and before the injury had serious speed. That is something the Phins secondary could use some more of. The DB's we have aren't overly fast and the Safeties we used were downright slow. A fast CB type FS would be nice to have back there. Marion doesn't make alot of tackles anyway.

If we lost O-Gun for say the tenth pick and Sean Taylor was there, I'd be all over him. Best player in this draft.

fix the defense by:
Cut Marion, Fletcher (besides cutting Griese, Fiedler, Perry, Dixon, Thompson, McKnight, Ruddy)

SS: rework Knight's contract, draft backup
FS: sign Freeman to a 2-year contract, Bell Backup, Gamble Backup
CB: rework both Surtain and Madison's contracts, sign Buckley and have Roundtree and Banks backup.

DL: Let Ogun sign else where and:
LDE: rework Taylor's contract, Tony Brown backup
RDE: rework Bowens and William's contracts, Otis Grisby backup, draft pick to backup
DT: rework Tim Bowens, Zgonina backup
DT: Chester, FA/draft pick backup

LB: rework Thomas and Seau contract and sign Hendricks
OLB: Greenwood, Moore and Jenkins backup

Let OGUN, Nails, Wade, Femi and Minor go FA or sign offer sheets.
We should be able to sign a Vet QB, #2 WR, OL HELP (RT, RG) and extend Chambers and McMichael contracts for long term. Draft future QB, WR, C/G, DT, SS, LB.

Back
Top Bottom