If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged)

PhinPhan1227

Why is there a watermelon there?
Reaction score
If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?

They could be desperate to get a starting RB, and Edwards showed that he can get the job done last year. I still think we need him as Ricky's back-up, but for a 2nd/3rd I think he'd be worth it.

He didn't show he could carry the football 25-30 times a game...

No way we get a 2nd/3rd from our 3rd down back with knee problems who wasn't use anymore at the end of last year.

Assuming that we feel Minor or Henry are suitable replacements as the #2 RB, what do you guys feel is reasonable compensation for Edwards on this imaginary trade?

Your timing is impeccable, I just brought this up in DCH's thread like 15 minutes ago.

But I was thinking more along the lines of a 6th round pick, and a chance for Edwards to finally see some increased playing time after making a miraculous comeback. I think we owe him for his dedication, to make the call to Tampa and see if they want to play ball with us and give Edwards a real chance at being the premier back. Edwards showed he can take the pounding and the knee will hold up. He gave us a great year and honestly I think he would be preferable to Thomas Jones, Ron Dayne, or even Jerome Bettis. But we would not be able to get more than a 6th for him because no matter what, the Bucs would need to acquire themselves another runningback as Edwards-Insurance. So what I would do if I were them is take a chance on Edwards and team him up with Thomas Jones. Give Edwards first crack and if he goes down Jones gets to tote the rock.

At best, we could try to get a 'project' type player in return...now, I understand they have a LT they are unhappy with, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms, nor am I really suggesting that we could make a flat trade that way.

:xii:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh come now...a 5th at least, or I say we keep him on the roster!! The kid is STILL a kid, and while he's a couple of years away from his 1000+ season, he DID manage to put up 230+ yds as a 3rd down back. Seems to me that a couple of weeks of camp running around in full pads would be proof enough.

Cornell Green? Hehe.

He's referring to Kenyatta Walker, who coincidentally also got in trouble with the law a few weeks ago or so. I don't think that can of worms should be opened either. Suffice it to say, the Bucs disliked him so much they moved him from Left to Right, then to Bench in favor of Cornell Green the guy who wasn't even going to make our roster.

I mean, I wouldn't mind Kenyatta being a backup swing tackle, but I'm sure Kenyatta would mind, which means he should stay a Buc. I would prefer a 6th round pick for Edwards.

I'd be very surprised if we could get better than a 7 for him..and that might be pushing it... I think he may be worth more, and in fact like having him as a backup, I'm just not sure the roster numbers will work that way. He did well for us, including an amazing block in the Denver game that I'm still impressed with.

Originally posted by xiidaen
I'd be very surprised if we could get better than a 7 for him..and that might be pushing it... I think he may be worth more, and in fact like having him as a backup, I'm just not sure the roster numbers will work that way. He did well for us, including an amazing block in the Denver game that I'm still impressed with.

I don't see the value of trading him for less than a 5th rounder. I still think he's the natural #2 RB behind Ricky because he's the "power runner" on our rotation. Minor works better as the change up back for that very reason, but Edwards works better as the ACTUAL #2.

I see it the opposite way. When the coaches were pulling Ricky in the 2nd half of games that we already had well under control, it was to my recollection Travis Minor who was receiving the bulk of handoffs. When it came to changes of pace, however, the 3rd down back's role, it was Robert Edwards who got the ball.

A lot of people have trouble understanding trade value is not just based on the player its based on the situation. These are the same people who couldn't believe we were only getting a 7th for a perennial starter like Derrick Rodgers or that we had to pay a 4th for Jay Williams.

Its the situation, and as things currently stand not only is Robert Edwards being phased out of the 3rd down back role by Ricky's increased role and Charlie Rogers' work in the backfield, but now the coaches are starting to turn on to Leonard Henry a little more and really want to give him a good look and they drafted Travis Minor in the 3rd round anyway to be a good backup RB which he's shown he can be. Thats the situation. And the situation in Tampa is that even though they need a RB badly now, there's guys who are less of a question mark from an injury standpoint out there than Robert Edwards and the Bucs could easily just say "Ok, forget Edwards we'll just go with Bettis...or Dayne...or Jones."

We won't be missing Edwards nearly as much as you think and he wont be missing us all that much either because the guy wants a shot at a premier role on some team and this could be a great opportunity for him.

Aren't we going off half****ed a little more than usual with Charlie Rogers??? I can see utilizing talent but chasing off a legit #2 or 3 running back???

35562150326-1.jpg

Well you've got a point but I dont think anyone is proposing Charlie Rogers to take a significant role in the offense if Ricky Williams god forbid goes down for a short time. Coaches have already stated now that Ricky Williams is going to be filling that 3rd back role primarily. Its just that Rogers might see some time in there as well since he's also guaranteed to be active come gameday.

What I'm saying anyway, is that with Minor here already and Henry impressing enough that we had to put him on the active roster last year, with Konrad and Femi (if he's on the roster) being able to take some carries, we're really not going to miss Robert Edwards much at all if Ricky stays healthy. And in the event that he doesnt stay healthy it was Travis Minor who was going to take the bulk of carries anyway because the coaches are too worried about Edwards' knee. So if Ricky goes down we currently have Minor taking the load, with Edwards, Konrad, and possibly Rogers lightening it a little. If we let go of Edwards and Ricky goes down we have Minor taking the load with Leonard Henry and Konrad spelling him a bit.

Do you see that as a big difference? I dont.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
Assuming that we feel Minor or Henry are suitable replacements as the #2 RB, what do you guys feel is reasonable compensation for Edwards on this imaginary trade?

No way...

We'd never get what he'd be worth to them, there's no sense in making the trade... If we're serious about making a run this season, we need all the ammo we've got...

As much as I like Edwards I agree with Ck, we wouldn't miss him much.

Having a major knee problem always leave doubt about the guy (see T. Davis, E. James, ...) and there's no way we would get something under a 6th round for Edwards. He's currently view as a 3rd down back and teams knows that we won't use him much because of Ricky Williams and Minor, so why give a 2 or 3 rd pick ?

And think that it took a few months before the Bills accepted to give a 1st rounder for Bledsoe and no other teams were willing to do it. And I think NO got a 2nd rd for Turley. We actually gave pretty much for R.Williams but it was based on performance. These guys were pro bowl caliber players and Edwards is now considered as a 3rd down back that could maybe be more than that.

Back
Top Bottom