If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged)

Initially, let me give all the credit in the world to Robert Edwards for defying the laws of physiology and displaying remarkable determination to come back from the devastating knee injury. RE HAS proved that he has superhuman mental strength, and has earned ultimate respect for his achievements in simply being able to walk without a stick. Robert "forrest gump" Edwards spent much of his early childhood in leg braces designed to straighten a crooked spine. So he has endured huge challenges throughout his life. I have never met the man, but I would be very proud to do so.

While Robert has undoubtedly achieved the seemingly impossible by returning to the football field, I believe that we have to look at this situation rationally. When I hear posters declaring "Robert has proved that he can carry the load", I am suddenly, worried that I have managed to miss a whole football season somehow. Edwards touched the ball (running + recieving) only 38 times last year, so I fail to see how so many can claim with such unwaivering confidence that he can be a productive starter in the NFL. Running a few assorted draw plays, and spelling Ricky does not equate to proving anything more than the net result of those plays. Travis Minor carried the ball over twice as many times as Edwards, essentially making Robert the number two back in name only.

A desperate team may indeed invest a 7th round pick on Edwards, gambling on the best case scenario. However, 3rd or even 2nd round picks for a man who has had major knee surgery, was demoted on the depth chart, has rarely managed to stay healthy for any length of time and carried the ball a total of 20 times last year...is pure insanity.

I repeat, I have huge respect for Robert Edwards' heroic comeback. However, as a GM, I would be very skeptical about his ability to carry the ball 300 times, and catch 40 + passes in additon to blocking duties. I wish Robert continued NFL success, but last year he only proved that he can survive 38 touches of the football. Projecting that number to ten times that amount is a little tenuous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
They could be desperate to get a starting RB, and Edwards showed that he can get the job done last year. I still think we need him as Ricky's back-up, but for a 2nd/3rd I think he'd be worth it.

we might be able to swindle a 2nd/3rd if we were dealing with the bengals or cards, but tampas front office is amongst the best in the game

I still like the idea mentioned earlier on this thread about a possible trade with Tampa for the LT they were trying to unload. Roman Oben would be a great addition to help out if Dixon went down. He started in the SB I believe and yet they are not really happy with him. They need a RB and we need a LT. It makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom