If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Pitman gets arrested...trade Edwards to Tampa?/T Kirby (merged)

Originally posted by ckparrothead

Do you see that as a big difference?

I don't know. I haven't really seen Henry other than a little in pre-season. If I had to go on that, then yes I see a big difference. Last year Edwards did a pretty good job on third downs before the hot Minor took over. Edwards did look capable of taking over for Ricky and giving us a chance to win with his running and receiving. Minor did too at the end of the season.

Well you've got a point but I dont think anyone is proposing Charlie Rogers to take a significant role in the offense if Ricky Williams god forbid goes down for a short time. Coaches have already stated now that Ricky Williams is going to be filling that 3rd back role primarily. Its just that Rogers might see some time in there as well since he's also guaranteed to be active come gameday.

What I'm saying anyway, is that with Minor here already and Henry impressing enough that we had to put him on the active roster last year, with Konrad and Femi (if he's on the roster) being able to take some carries, we're really not going to miss Robert Edwards much at all if Ricky stays healthy. And in the event that he doesnt stay healthy it was Travis Minor who was going to take the bulk of carries anyway because the coaches are too worried about Edwards' knee. So if Ricky goes down we currently have Minor taking the load, with Edwards, Konrad, and possibly Rogers lightening it a little. If we let go of Edwards and Ricky goes down we have Minor taking the load with Leonard Henry and Konrad spelling him a bit.

Do you see that as a big difference? I dont.

What I think you're missing CK is the fact that Edwards was put in to spell Ricky, while Minor was brought in as the change of pace back. Edwards wore down towards the end of the year, which is understandable for his first year back, but he IS the more natural replacement for Ricky. Both Minor and Henry are speed backs who are around 200lbs. Ricky and Robert are 220/230lb power backs, and if you drop Edwards, you've got nobody but FB's to fill that role if Ricky goes down. You saw more of Minor last year, but that was scheme, not a reflection of who is more valuable as a back-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

I don't see the value of trading him for less than a 5th rounder. I still think he's the natural #2 RB behind Ricky because he's the "power runner" on our rotation. Minor works better as the change up back for that very reason, but Edwards works better as the ACTUAL #2.

I agree completely. Ricky truly needs two guys to back him up and Edwards/Minor is that duo. Having said that, a 5 or higher could be a sweet deal.

POINT BECOMES MOOT

This may have just turned into a dead issue, as I see the Bucs just signed Terry Kirby.

Terry Kirby

He's back! In the state of florida anyways, he signed a deal with the bucs, do u think it was a move for depth purposes or for him to challenge pittman and stecker for a starting role? Was he just signed primarily due to pittman's arrest?

we'll see whath appens

Gruden knows him from his Oakland days and Kirby knows Gruden's system. He adds depth, I don't expect him to compete for a starting job...

Kirby signed

The denver Broncos went with former Dolphin and versatile RB/KE sometimes WR Terry Kirby. Almost 10 years affter his appearnce with the Dolphins Kirby remains a versatile and productive weapon. Just ask the raiders, now the Broncos get a quality player who is willing to play a role and one the Dolphins should have NEVER EVER let go!

Kirby will be a depth player and veteran leadership to a team that doesn't really need it. :lol: He was used sporadically with the Raiders. Good Special teams player still. I think he even returned kicks for Oakland until he was injured for the season last year.

Your timing is impeccable, I just brought this up in DCH's thread like 15 minutes ago.

But I was thinking more along the lines of a 6th round pick, and a chance for Edwards to finally see some increased playing time after making a miraculous comeback. I think we owe him for his dedication, to make the call to Tampa and see if they want to play ball with us and give Edwards a real chance at being the premier back. Edwards showed he can take the pounding and the knee will hold up. He gave us a great year and honestly I think he would be preferable to Thomas Jones, Ron Dayne, or even Jerome Bettis. But we would not be able to get more than a 6th for him because no matter what, the Bucs would need to acquire themselves another runningback as Edwards-Insurance. So what I would do if I were them is take a chance on Edwards and team him up with Thomas Jones. Give Edwards first crack and if he goes down Jones gets to tote the rock.

Maybe, just maybe, they would accept an offer due to performance, that could get as high as a 5th......

if they would give us a 5th or above, i would jump on that like a duck on june bug, if it were a 5th trade it to the cards for jones he would be a decent back up, or is his salary to high? i here the bucs are interested in bettis, they should talk rickey watters out of retirement.

This all became moot when Edwards had surgery on the ankle. Now we will have to wait until at least training camp to see if anyone moves.

Back
Top Bottom