If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the Dolphins drafted Lamar Jackson, would he still be successful?

The best thing Baltimore did last year was not force Jackson to throw. They became a bit of a read option team with limited passing, allowing him to build confidence with his legs and win a few. If they had made him be a pocket passer only, which i think would have ended poorly, the guy's confidence could have been shattered and not easily repaired.

Some QBs just have it - they are going to succeed (Manning). Other QBs don't (Leaf). Then there's the guys in-between. I truly feel a large part of their success or failure lies in the organization/staff/offense they are plugged into....and if they would have swapped out with another players situation, could have had similar results.

The Ravens have a solid offensive line and a strong running attack. They have a great defense and a HC who has already proved he can lead his team to a Super Bowl win.

Not to take anything away from Lamar Jackson because I think he is an excellent NFL QB and he is in an offense that is perfectly suited for his skill set. The best thing that happened to Jackson is he dropped in the draft and instead of being drafted by a team like the Dolphins who had a terrible HC in Gase and a terrible OL, he was fortunate to be drafted by an outstanding organization in the Baltimore Ravens.

Jackson would certainly not be the same QB for the Dolphins at this time as he is for the Ravens simply because of the vast difference in the players he has around him in Baltimore compared to the players on the Dolphins roster.

Also John Harbaugh was willing to build an offense around what Jackson does best. I don’t know if Gase last year or Flores this year would be willing to change their offensive schemes to fit the skills of what Jackson does best.

Harbaugh’s greatest strength as HC is his adaptability. He is like Shula in that sense.

Is Flores? We shall see. Hope so.

No question in my mind the Dolphins would have ruined him right out of the gate.

No way. He would have thrown a lot of bubble screens.
Harbaugh even said that when they got ready to draft him they went around the room and asked themselves “are we prepared to commit to changing everything we do to build around the guy”?

I believe Gase would have been thinking about how to get him to run an offense to average 4.5 yards per pass attempt.

No way. He would have thrown a lot of bubble screens.
Harbaugh even said that when they got ready to draft him they went around the room and asked themselves “are we prepared to commit to changing everything we do to build around the guy”?

I believe Gase would have been thinking about how to get him to run an offense to average 4.5 yards per pass attempt.
Hadn't heard that about the Raven's staff, but it makes perfect sense that such a discussion would have taken place.

I was in the camp that said drafting Lamar at #11 in 2018 was not too high for him. I was apparently like Ross- pounding the table to consider him in the the 1st round.

The Dolphins cry fowl year after year about the difficulty of finding a franchise quarterback. Yet time and time again when the opportunity presents itself, we are caught with our heads in the sand. It isn't as difficult as the Dolphins make it to find a franchise Qb. Certainly one better than Tannehill.

One thing is absolutely clear this year or next, Chris Grier is going to have to stick his neck out for a Qb. He'll get it chopped off or have a bouquet placed around it. Put your chips on the table for your guy buddy, we are waiting.

Either Lamar Jackson could have made us good or no quarterback ever can.

You people are either hoping for a miracle quarterback or you are deluded and think that we are going to get lucky enough to draft the next Marino. Most of you haven't realized that a quarterback isn't the answer... we need to fix the offensive line and get at least 1 dominant pass rusher. Along with a good QB (not necessarily the best QB of all time).

Last year Justin Herbert was considered one of the best QBs in college football, this year he may go at the end of the 1st round.

We need to focus on drafting IMPACT players. No more players to develop, instead we need guys who can go in a game and dominate.

Could ANY Quarterback in the league or in college football right now make this team win most games?

Last edited:
I was in the camp that said drafting Lamar at #11 in 2018 was not too high for him. I was apparently like Ross- pounding the table to consider him in the the 1st round.

The Dolphins cry fowl year after year about the difficulty of finding a franchise quarterback. Yet time and time again when the opportunity presents itself, we are caught with our heads in the sand. It isn't as difficult as the Dolphins make it to find a franchise Qb. Certainly one better than Tannehill.

One thing is absolutely clear this year or next, Chris Grier is going to have to stick his neck out for a Qb. He'll get it chopped off or have a bouquet placed around it. Put your chips on the table for your guy buddy, we are waiting.
Who’s the safe QB choice that you can put on a box of Wheaties and will take 6-7 years to figure out they are just a tease? That’s who Grier will choose. That’s kinda how he picks most players.

What do you think would have happened to Gase and the Dolphins if they drafted Jackson.

I tend to think a lot of his success is thanks to Harbaugh and a front office who know how to build a team. Sadly, I think Gase and the Dolphins would have ruined him.

Your thoughts?

Most sacks against Miami are near instantaneous. No, he wouldn't be successful

Yes we would be in the palyoffs but not a contender based on our defence.

Harbaugh’s greatest strength as HC is his adaptability. He is like Shula in that sense.

Is Flores? We shall see. Hope so.
You are exactly right. It was Shula I was thinking of when I saw how Harbaugh changed his entire offensive scheme to fit what Jackson does best. Just as Shula changed from a run first head coach to a pass first head coach once he drafted Marino.

Based on the fact Flores traded away the best safety in the league because he refused to let Fitzpatrick play just one position as he requested, makes me wonder if Flores will be open minded enough to build a team around the strengths of his players or will he only want to work with players who fit his schemes. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Last year Justin Herbert was considered one of the best QBs in college football, this year he may go at the end of the 1st round.

that's not likely...more like top 5

Miami would still have Lamar running routes.

no probably not, hes pretty good but cmon, its the dolphins were talkin about here...we couldnt even field a good enough team around marino to get him back to another superbowl for 15 years...arguably the best qb of all time...

i mean by the time our defense of Taylor, Thomas, Madison & Surtain were in their prime Marino was retired and we rolled with Jay Fiedler for a few years.

The Fins would **** it up somehow.

Not sure because he would be backing up Aaron Rodgers after winning his fifth ring with Saban’s Dolphins who came close to going undefeated again...

Back
Top Bottom