If we DUMP Jake Long... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we DUMP Jake Long...

We need to bring in a WR vet to help out tannehill and not put some rookie to be pressured as a number 1 and the only rookie WR I see will have immediate impact is keenan allen and I'm not even sure he will fall to us. We also need to draft defensive players to fill the holes in the secondary and pass rush. We have players like wallace/jennings/bowe/cooker we can't just ignore them for an injury proned and over paid left tackle.

Of course need those things, that's why I advocate re-signing Long so we don't have to waste a pick on an OT. People want to draft an OT to replace Long, but then want to complain that we aren't spending enough picks on skill positions :ponder:

2 things - first, we don't have a crappy LT, we have an overpaid LT. Second, you are assuming Martin will play well when he moves to LT, after he has already not played well at RT (which is an easier position to fill according to your statement)
He has played decent in RT and you do realize martin's natural position in LT right which is what he is meant for.

2 things - first, we don't have a crappy LT, we have an overpaid LT. Second, you are assuming Martin will play well when he moves to LT, after he has already not played well at RT (which is an easier position to fill according to your statement)

1. I wasn't talking about Long. I was talking about if Long leaves. Having a serviceable replacement (Martin) would be better than trying to replace Long at LT with an unproven.
2. Martin's natural position is LT. We will see how he performs in the last month. If he performs adequately, we can be more comfortable moving on without Long.

It would be ideal to keep Long, but not at a high price tag with his injury history. He has been injured in some capacity for the past 3 years. We can't risk spending a large portion of our cap space on a guy with that kind of history whose play has recently tapered off.

He has played decent in RT and you do realize martin's natural position in LT right which is what he is meant for.

He hasnt played decent. He's been tagged for 30 QB hurries. That's unacceptable imo. He will go up against better rushers at LT. I don't care what his "natural" position is, because he's getting beat by power, not technique.

Of course need those things, that's why I advocate re-signing Long so we don't have to waste a pick on an OT. People want to draft an OT to replace Long, but then want to complain that we aren't spending enough picks on skill positions :ponder:
I rather not sign long and get a proven WR in FA that wil actually have an impact day 1 and help tannehill than hoping for a rookie to be a number 1 WR. I rather draft a RT than overpay for LT that's injury proned. We find replacements for a RT in FA with the money we don't py him anyway and stil be able to use our picks in the draft on skill positions but we need to bring in vets because rookies won't take this team stuck in mediocrity anywhere and hoping for ireland to actually hit on skill position players is a reach.

I rather not sign long and get a proven WR in FA that wil actually have an impact day 1 and help tannehill than hoping for a rookie to be a number 1 WR.

Why can't we do both with $50+ million in salary cap room? Its not an either/or option.

Make me a list on who you resign and how much you pay him and who you bring in from FA and how you pay them as well.

Uh Im not making you anything buddy. Not even for xmas. If you want to put together a list, go for it. If not, just know we have a lot of flexibility with cap space this year - and re-signing Jake Long and free agent WRs is entirely possible.

Uh Im not making you anything buddy. Not even for xmas. If you want to put together a list, go for it. If not, just know we have a lot of flexibility with cap space this year - and re-signing Jake Long and free agent WRs is entirely possible.
We have others phins that will be FA too.

Jake Long
Sean Smith
Reggie Bush
Brian Hartline
Randy Starks
6mil for the draft
WR we bring it will likely cost 10 mil +

Jeff Ireland has said that Jake Long will finish his career in Miami so I don't think he will be allowed to walk after this season. However, if they let him walk I do think Martin will be the one to take over at LT, assuming he doesn't completely bomb these final four games. Then I think the new RT probably comes in the 2nd round, not the 1st.

We have others phins that will be FA too.

Jake Long
Sean Smith
Reggie Bush
Brian Hartline
Randy Starks
6mil for the draft
WR we bring it will likely cost 10 mil +

I disagree that any WR we bring in would be $10mil/year, but even if it was that high, signing those players and that FA WR is possible with $55 million in cap space.

We have too many players to resign and too many needs. The Dolphins need to re-sign Starks, Hartline and Sean Smith and add guys like Greg Jennings (WR), Cliff Avril (Passrusher) and Brent Grimes (DB) or Tracy Porter (DB). With Long's injury history, it is too risky to have him take up cap space that needs to be spent on those FA signings.

I disagree that any WR we bring in would be $10mil/year, but even if it was that high, signing those players and that FA WR is possible with $55 million in cap space.
add the 19 ufa/rfa or the replacements we will have to sign will end up being around 17-19 mil as well. We would be able to use jake long 13-16 mill on a Tide end like cooker/pass rusher he's just isn't worth the money.

Letting Long walk would be a massive embarrassment for Ireland. I don't kow if he wants to expose himself to that...

Letting Long walk would be a massive embarrassment for Ireland. I don't kow if he wants to expose himself to that...

You think he really cares anymore? He has been operating with the knowledge that most of the fanbase hates him since 2010...

Back
Top Bottom