If we DUMP Jake Long... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we DUMP Jake Long...

If JM does a pretty decent job at LT we may be over paying our new RT. Maybe in the long run switching both would be more ideal but the money will be huge no matter what.

We have others phins that will be FA too.

Jake Long
Sean Smith
Reggie Bush
Brian Hartline
Randy Starks
6mil for the draft
WR we bring it will likely cost 10 mil +

Tampa Bay was able to give Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks something like $104 million combined. And they still had $18 million left over. Even if we sign Long to a huge contract, no one on that list prevents us from signing a big name free agent. Of those expecting a big pay day, only Starks comes close and id be willing to bet he can be squeezed under the $20 million we have left over after Long/free agent wideout. Gone are the days of $100 mill contracts to interior lineman.

People are so quick to forget: we have to spend our cap. Due to the CBA all teams have to spend 88% of their cap space. Get yo credit cards ready!

Tampa Bay was able to give Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks something like $104 million combined. And they still had $18 million left over. Even if we sign Long to a huge contract, no one on that list prevents us from signing a big name free agent. Of those expecting a big pay day, only Starks comes close and id be willing to bet he can be squeezed under the $20 million we have left over after Long/free agent wideout. Gone are the days of $100 mill contracts to interior lineman.

People are so quick to forget: we have to spend our cap. Due to the CBA all teams have to spend 88% of their cap space. Get yo credit cards ready!
and I'll say it again. add the 19 ufa/rfa or the replacements we will have to sign will end up being around 17-19 mil as well. We would be able to use jake long 13-16 mill on a Tide end like cooker/pass rusher he's just isn't worth the money.

and I'll say it again. add the 19 ufa/rfa or the replacements we will have to sign will end up being around 17-19 mil as well. We would be able to use jake long 13-16 mill on a Tide end like cooker/pass rusher he's just isn't worth the money.

Sorry to dash everyones hopes but no dominate defensive ends will be hitting the market. They almost never do. Sure, their are the Avril's that hit free agency, but we would be better off spending our top 10 pick on a pass rusher. I think you were talking about tight ends....but not sure. Either way, the past 2 years we have drafted Clay and Egnew. For better or worse, we are not going to be spending hard for that position.

If we are concerned about money, we shouldnt be resigning those 19 free agents. This is a team that has had 4 consecutive losing seasons. Its not working. I'll take quality over quantity.

As much as people want it to be, this isnt a black and white situation. This isnt "we can either sign Long or sign someone else". If we wanted to resign Long we easily could. Teams regularly spend 1/4th or 5th of their salary on a single player. That player just happens to be their quarterback. We dont have to worry about that for, at least, another 2 years.

If we spend another st rounder on the line, Im not sure any team in history will have invested as much in OL in the span of 5 years.

3 first round picks
1 second round pick
1 3rd round pick
2 or 3 later round picks
2 big money FA signings
2 or 3 smaller FA signings

Mind boggling.

If we spend ANOTHER 1st round pick on an OL or interior DL, Goodell should force the franchise to move to Iowa and play its home games in a ****ing corn field.

IF Miami is picking in the top 10-15 picks, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down, to pick up an additional 2nd and possibly another pick. From what I've read the strength of the 2013 draft is going to be in the mid 1st through the late 2nd round. It's been hard to watch Long these last 2 season's and it does seem, like his day's are numbers, with his latest injury. I just can't comprehend spending 50+ million dollars on an injury prone LT. I agree with NUB's an OT/OG will probably be addressed in the 2nd and perhaps 3rd round area's. Terrence Williams or Ezekiel Ansah in the mid to late 1st would seem to be a players to watch, IF Miami does indeed trade down.

No.

Martin will get kicked over to LT (position he is better suited to play in the ZBS).

With that, a decent starting RT should be easy to find in FA or in the 2nd/3rd round.

Personally, my bigger concern on the line is LG with Incog basically packing his own bags out of town. Doubt he comes back next year if not released or traded.

LT - Martin
LG - FA or Draft (2nd/3rd)
C - Pouncey
RG - Jerry
RT - FA or Draft (2nd/3rd)

No.

With that, a decent starting RT should be easy to find in FA or in the 2nd/3rd round.

It should be easy? really? What RT did you have in mind? Filling any starting position isnt easy, especially RT.

Arizona had the same idea this year. They started a middle round pick at RT in Bobbie Massie (a player many posters here wanted) and he gave up 4.5 sacks to Cam Wake in one game! Massie is on pace to give up over 20 sacks on the year....

It should be easy? really? What RT did you have in mind? Filling any starting position isnt easy, especially RT.

Arizona had the same idea this year. They started a middle round pick at RT in Bobbie Massie (a player many posters here wanted) and he gave up 4.5 sacks to Cam Wake in one game! Massie is on pace to give up over 20 sacks on the year....

Obviously it wont be like easy as cutting a slice of cake. But it's easier than finding a LT in those rounds. Bobbie Massie was a 4th round project that the Cards foolishly thought could start right away. Match him up against Cam Wake and you see the results. Lets not talk big when our own 2nd round RT Martin was getting tossed around like a rag doll for the first half of the season.

Why dont we just re-sign him? That way we don't have to spend a draft pick and he's still better than anyone we could draft to replace him. I'd rather overpay Long than have to waste a high round pick on an OT when we should be using that pick on skill positions. I dont even want to use a middle round pick on an OT. We need to be drafting offensive weapons.

Not IMO. I do not see the point in paying less for a player who sucks anyways. If a player sucks, he sucks, regardless of what his salary is. If we paid him 15M, or if we paid him 6M, it doesnt matter, because he is still getting holding penalties, false starts, and giving up sacks. We need to cut our ties with him and start over. That being said, I do not advocate for spending anything higher than our second 3rd rounder at right tackle.

If ur gonna spend a first rounder on a LT you may as well just resign Jake...Miami has the cap to sign him..we just need to ask for a bit of a home town discount.

I'm still of the opinion that we offer Long 8-9 Million a year in a long term deal, could live with a stretch to 10, if he takes it great, if not let the guy walk and see if anyone else pays him more. If they've looked at his general play over the last 2 years and his injury record throughout his time in the NFL then they would be crazy to pay him more. Not sure what's going to be out there in terms of tackles in FA that we could pick up to replace Long if someone does overpay for him. If there's nothing then we may need to consider a first round tackle again :(

The fly in the ointment here though is how well Martin does at LT in his absence, if he does significantly better than how he's done at RT, then we have a more difficult decision as we can't afford to have 2 starting caliber LTs and Martin is clearly then not a RT. In that case sensible route to go is let Long walk, bring in a FA RT or draft a RT in round 2 or 3.

Not IMO. I do not see the point in paying less for a player who sucks anyways. If a player sucks, he sucks, regardless of what his salary is. If we paid him 15M, or if we paid him 6M, it doesnt matter, because he is still getting holding penalties, false starts, and giving up sacks. We need to cut our ties with him and start over. That being said, I do not advocate for spending anything higher than our second 3rd rounder at right tackle.

Jake Long has given up 4 sacks on the year. Thats doesnt suck no matter what way you look at it. You are confusing being overpaid with sucking. He is overpaid, and has played below his own standards, but he's still pretty good compared to most LTs around the league, and he's going to be better than anyone you draft in the 3rd round. He has value to us.

We are in the business of aquiring talent, not cap space. Letting Long walk means we waste another pick on an OL. It means we have to replace talent, instead of building on talent we already have. At some point you have to start adding talent, instead of replacing talent.

Yeah let's do it lets continue to drop high draft picks and ridiculous free agent dollars on cornfed crap! It has been working so well for say the last half decade!

If ur gonna spend a first rounder on a LT you may as well just resign Jake...Miami has the cap to sign him..we just need to ask for a bit of a home town discount.

Not strictly true though, with the rookie salary cap, Long's injury issues, and general play, it's not as simple, as you the drafted player would be cheaper, should be fitter and could be better suited to the ZBS. It's a tough call.

Back
Top Bottom