If you could have ANY college player right now, who would it be? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you could have ANY college player right now, who would it be?

Reggie Bush does look like the ultimate back for the future, great hands, vision, speed, burst. I think this kid is going to do it all when he gets to the league. I wasn't a know, until I watch a few USC game an man I believe the hype about Bush.

Awsi Dooger said:
I was simply miffed Devin Hester and Ginn have many of the same qualities yet Ginn had 3 or 4 mentions here to none for Hester. On a Miami board that was whacko. Ask the same question on an Ohio forum and I'll understand. Now it's evened up somewhat here.

I think Hester is a superior open field runner to Ginn or anyone else in football, including Reggie Bush or Dante Hall. I attended the Louisiana Tech game last year in which he brought back two punts for TDs after it looked like both of them should be fair catches. He has the explosive first step, surreal speed, great vision and can make as many weaves or cuts as necessary until it's 6 points. The Canes have had phenomenal special teams players over the years/decades but Hester is the most lethal I've seen.

Actually, this is a Miami Dolphins board, not Hurricanes board. They have those ... elsewhere. Being a Dolphin fan does not translate to being a Hurricane fan. ;)

Hester did have some fantastic plays last year. But, seeing him against La Tech isn't a true indication of his ability. I don't see how he can be regarded as a better open field runner than Bush. Bush himself had two punt returns for TD's and he had 15 TD's overall - multiple long runs and catches and long KR's. I saw all of Hester's returns and they were impressive. But, I haven't seen lightening in a bottle like Bush since Michael Vick.

As a prospect, Hester could not crack the starting lineup at WR. Or, even get reps - he had 5 carries and 1 reception for the entire year. Bush, on a more talented team, was essentially a starter at both RB (part-time - with 143 carries) and at WR (2nd on the team with 43 catches). Hester may eventually be as good, but he has to prove himself as a starter before he's even mentioned in the same breath as Bush. It may be he simply can't run routes well or has mediocre hands.

I addressed most of those areas in a previous post in this thread

Da 'Fins said:
Actually, this is a Miami Dolphins board, not Hurricanes board. They have those ... elsewhere. Being a Dolphin fan does not translate to being a Hurricane fan. ;)

Hester did have some fantastic plays last year. But, seeing him against La Tech isn't a true indication of his ability. I don't see how he can be regarded as a better open field runner than Bush. Bush himself had two punt returns for TD's and he had 15 TD's overall - multiple long runs and catches and long KR's. I saw all of Hester's returns and they were impressive. But, I haven't seen lightening in a bottle like Bush since Michael Vick.

As a prospect, Hester could not crack the starting lineup at WR. Or, even get reps - he had 5 carries and 1 reception for the entire year. Bush, on a more talented team, was essentially a starter at both RB (part-time - with 143 carries) and at WR (2nd on the team with 43 catches). Hester may eventually be as good, but he has to prove himself as a starter before he's even mentioned in the same breath as Bush. It may be he simply can't run routes well or has mediocre hands.

I wrote Hester might not be the brightest bulb and hasn't settled into a position. When he flopped on offense, the whispers were he couldn't grasp the playbook. Only last year when he switched to defense (occasional plays on offense) did he begin to thrive along with the obvious special teams ability.

In my first post here, I indicated Hester wouldn't be my first choice, but I was surprised he didn't get a mention while Ginn had several. You are focusing more on Reggie Bush than Ginn. I would take Bush over Hester in a heartbeat. His sudden cuts are probably second only to Gale Sayers and he is an every-down threat who has an obvious position. But if you put each of them 100 yards away and said score, I'll take Devin Hester over Reggie Bush in a heartbeat. Purely subjective, but I'm a Miami fan and a USC alum so I've seen plenty of both.

Those plays against La Tech were remarkable regardless of the oppostion. There were literally several players in his face when he caught each punt. One of them was 90+ yards. Besides, Hester also brought back kicks against bigleaguers Florida and NC State.

Many of the regulars here decry the pro-Hurricane slant of many posters on this board. There was even a thread last night asking about the Canes spring practices, and one today regarding an obscure Miami reserve fullback. So I don't see how you can dismiss my dismay that a Buckeye was receiving more praise than Hester.

Boomer said:
Laurence Maroney

Wow...that kind of surprises me Boom...I've watched every gopher game the last two years and I've always thought that Barber's game translated better into the pros than Maroney's. I do think that Maroney will compete for the Heisman this year though.

As an aside, I stood shoulder to shoulder with Barber for most of the Gopher football scrimmage today. Didn't talk to him about the draft at all though because some kid was bugging him about it and he didn't seem to responsive. Maroney didn't practice today.

I would take Matt Leinart over anybody in college football right now. By the time they're draft eligible though I believe Henne will be a better prospect, and I also think Hart was a better freshmen RB than Peterson last year. Defensively I would take Rod Wright.

nick19991 said:
whether you beleive it or not Vick has a very good arm, I don't understand why he doesn't us it more often but they even had that commerical a year back were he threw the ball into the stands from the 50 yard line

just because someone has a great arm doesn't mean he can use the arm to throw accurately and read defenses and choose who to throw it to correctly.

Back
Top Bottom