Ill stick up for Wanny. Why not? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ill stick up for Wanny. Why not?

I'm not happy with the performance of the team under Wanny. The ultimate question, however, does anyone see anyone available who is an upgrade? I sure don't. You can roll the dice with a college coach, but that's all it is - a roll of the dice. As far as proven HC's, there's no one available who is clearly an upgrade over Wanny. Norv would be likely be a watered down version of Wanny. Dennis Green / Jim Mora can consistently get you a 10-12 win season, but can't win a playoff game. Coughlin? I dunno. The guy's mean, but that's about it and that kind of meanness doesn't go over well with a veteran club. I wish there was someone available, but I don't see who it is.

Originally posted by Agua
I'm not happy with the performance of the team under Wanny. The ultimate question, however, does anyone see anyone available who is an upgrade? I sure don't. You can roll the dice with a college coach, but that's all it is - a roll of the dice. As far as proven HC's, there's no one available who is clearly an upgrade over Wanny. Norv would be likely be a watered down version of Wanny. Dennis Green / Jim Mora can consistently get you a 10-12 win season, but can't win a playoff game. Coughlin? I dunno. The guy's mean, but that's about it and that kind of meanness doesn't go over well with a veteran club. I wish there was someone available, but I don't see who it is.

That is the whole point. There are a few coaches who get you 10-12 wins per season..so does Wannstedt.

That's the problem we have....our "good" is a stumbling block to "great".

If you are coming of a 3-13 season or even a 6-10 season a 9-7 season under a new coach looks fine.....but in our case we fired a coach who got us to 11-5, 11-5,9-7 and possibly 11-5 0r 10-6 again.

The only coach who would get us a lift is a "grudden type" coach who will bring the emotions to lift a team from "good" to "great" for ONE season....

Aqua, you said EXACTLY what I was going to. Yes, Wanny does not seem to get the most out of this team, but I really do not see anyone else that I would really want. A real difference maker, someone like a Gruden, or Parcells. There just isn't that caliber of coach available.

Yes, we could win the next three. However, we could also lose the next three and then we would have gotten worse EVERY year that Wanny was here. (11-5 and second round playoffs, 11-5 1st round, 9-7 no playoffs, and 8-8 no playoffs). If we are going to go into 'possible' scenerios that is definitely one. If that is the case, how can you keep someone that keeps making decisions to get the team to a worse record. We need to go the other way!

Originally posted by relive1972

Let's not forget about Gruden taking a Buc team that defense-minded Dungy couldn't do squat with in the postseason, added a couple of receivers in McCardell and Jerivicious, and won a SB in his first year there.

And this year, he's 6-7.

As for Wanny, I think he's a solid coach and a horrible personnel manager.

Dungy also got that team within 5 points and one horrible call of the Super Bowl....with Shaun King at QB.

If Gruden is so awesome then what happened this year. They did not lose hardly anyone from last year and they suck this year. And the year after he left Oakland, they went to the SB even being a year older.

If we get a new Coach he could be someone who likes to run the 3-4 defense instead of the 4-3. That could screw things up on D and take the last couple of years of their window of opportunity and flush it down the toilet.

What if the new coach is a West Coast Off. minded coach. Well, then screw Ricky. He will not do good in that system. All you need to do is look at Oakland and see how under used Garner is. Not to mention McMichael and Konrad are big parts of the O. In some systems they would not be used but as blockers.

We are taking steps in the right direction. Lets just keep Wanny and Jay. Get rid of Griese. Either draft a Eli or some top prospect or sign a Couch or Brunell. Build a better O line, get a WR, and keep the D in tact as much as possible.

Then we can see a SB champion.

In reality we shouldn't fire Wanny, but maybe some other people on the staff..let's see here.

Wanny didn't fumble the ball inside the 10 against Indy to possibly win.
Wanny didn't miss FG's and didn't get called for holding against Houston (which we very well I'm sure would have scored)
Wanny didn't miss 2 FG's against NE the first game.
Wanny didn't miss the block which Jay got drilled and dropped the ball.

If you ask me we've been in position to win every game besides the Tenn one. So, how exactly would ANY of this be Wanny's fault? Norv is beginning to piss me off more then Wanny.

Wanny is a decent man but that doesn't win us football games. He has a boatload of talent on defense. He did a horrible job of upgrading the o-line and the offense this year. I understand d-fense wins championships but when you don't consistently move the ball in this league you don't win sh*#.
We need a proven winner that has the balls to shake a few guys up and not cover for players that continue to make mistakes or play like crap!
Wanny is a defensive coordinator and always will be just that. He did a great job with defense since he he came here w/ jj, but you also have to address the offense if you want to win. And that he did not. Time for a change.

You guys supporting Wanny must be blind.....

What has he done to improve this team since he's been here???..

Here's my take on his time served thus far.....

This defense was already stout before he became HC. Nothing has changed, it still is....No improvements, no downgrades.

The offense was weak, and even though Dave was able to get one of the best RB's in the NFL, it's even weaker now. How is that possible???....

Poor coaching {Dave / Norv}. Poor drafting {DW / RS}, and poor evaluating of talent {DW / RS}.....

I may be mistaken, but wasn't Dave quoted a few times this off-season saying how our OL would not be a weakness, but instead one of our strengths???......WRONG!!!

Didn't he also say something about our passing offense being one of our strengths as well???....WRONG!!!

The guy has done nothing but blow smoke up our *****. He's clearly not qulaified to be a HC in the NFL. Look at the talent on this offense, and then look at our NFL ranking....It's 28th!!!!

How??? I mean when you've got teams like Jacksonville-14, Cincy-9, Carolina-15, NY Giants-13, and Dallas-16 all ahead of us by more than 10 slots, something is seriously wrong with this picture....

I'm afraid to name the teams that are just below us in terms of offensive "lack" of production. This is just too sad...

What happened to that big LOT we were going to pursue relentlessly during the off-season?? There was one {W. Gandy}, but he was too expensive for Dave's liking. You get what you pay for, and Dave didn't get anything.....

After he {WG} was picked up, there were really no other serious attempts made by Dave and Rick to secure the position. It was as if they gave up, and just decided that the guys we had already were good enough. They weren't, and it was clear as day from the start of the pre-season that this OL was going to struggle as is.....

Instead of investing our top draft picks into our decimated OL, he goes out and drafts more defense {somethig this team already has too much of}. Why???...We already had the #3 defense in the NFL, so why even consider anything other than an offensive player???....I don't get it. Is he really that dumb????....

All Dave ever had to do, from the momment after he was announced the new Miami Dolphins head coach, was re-build our offense. He's added Ricky, Chris, and Randy. Those are the only real playmakers he's brought in since 2000....

Every season, it's something new. "All we need is a QB", "All we need is a RB", "All we need are some leaders on defense", "All we need is an OL", "All we need is a new coaching staff"......

Will it ever end???....

Dave and Norv MUST GO. Once that's done, then we can start over from scratch, and start to build something with a solid foundation. The current foundation was built on marsh land, and is sinking faster and lower than whale dung....

PHINZ RULE!!!!:fire:

Originally posted by T-Bone

We need a proven winner that has the balls to shake a few guys up and not cover for players that continue to make mistakes or play like crap!

Don't disagree at all. But just who is that coach that is a proven winner that can get a consistent 10-11 win team over the hump?

I like how bliz said: "He's added Ricky, Chris, and Randy. Those are the only real playmakers he's brought in since 2000...."

Yeah, HE ONLY brought in a RB, a WR, and a TE as playmakers......

That's ALL YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Section126
Yeah, HE ONLY brought in a RB, a WR, and a TE as playmakers......

That's ALL YOU NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that's all you need, why are we ranked 28th in the NFL on offense???....

PHINZ RULE!!!

:fire:

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

If that's all you need, why are we ranked 28th in the NFL on offense???....

PHINZ RULE!!!

:fire:

Because we have crap for an offensive line. And you can hang that squarely on WannSpiel.

I still argue, though, that Wanny does a decent job of head coaching. And right now, he's performing as well or better than some of his more famous peers, whom conventional wisdom regards as coaching gurus:

JON GRUDEN: He did get the Bucs a Super Bowl victory last year, but they're 6-7 this year with essentially the same roster.

MIKE HOLMGREN: Has a great roster, but can't get his troops to win away from home. The 'Hawks 8-5 record equals the Dolphins.

JIM FASSEL: He's been highly regarded until this year, when the wheels came off on a Giants team that arguably has a similar quality of roster to the Fins, yet who are languishing at 4-9.

BILL COWHER: I've seen multiple Dolfans calling for his hiring, but he's 5-8 in a weak division. What gives?

Sorry, but the D was not as good when Wanny took over as it is now. We got beat 62-7 by Jacksonville, 23-0 against Oakland, and we have seen the D in past years wear down. This year is different.

Blitz is smoking crack if he thinks Wanny hasn't made improvements on the D. Seau vs. Rodgers. Ill take Seau. T.Buck vs. Fletcher. Ill take Buckley. Sammy Knight vs. Freeman. Ill take Sammy. Not to mention Zgonia has played awesome when Bowens is out. Ogunleye has more than replaced Trace Armstrong and whoever else played DE.

As for Offense. We got Ricky, McMichael, and Chambers. We all new Ricky was great but who actually thought on draft day that Chambers and McMichael would be this great. I didn't.

Dixon getting hurt really threw this team for a loop. D. Thompson did as well. So, address it in the offseason and move on.

We got rid of Shula and opted for the high profile Coach in Jimmy and all we got was an egotistical retard that wouldn't even let Marino audible. He promise a running game and the best RB we had was Lawrence Phillips and he is probably doing time. Or Abdul Jabaar who God only knows where he is.

Another Coach that promises everything and delivers nothing may be what we are in store for.

Back
Top Bottom