In your opinion who's our DT and NT starters now | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

In your opinion who's our DT and NT starters now

Most of us seem to be assuming Weave will run a 3-4 as his base defense because his roots are with Rex Ryan, Mike Pettine, and Romeo Crennel who were 3-4 guys. In that case, Sieler would be one of the outside guys in the 3 man line, most of the time. If Weave crosses us up and uses a light box 4-2-5 as Fangio did most of the time, with a front of two standup OLBs and two DTs with their hand on the ground, then Sieler would be one of the DTs.
I'm gonna celebrate Easter with a big ol' juicy heavily marbled ribeye steak. The same standard table fare as any other day of celebration. I'll sear it in tallow, at max temp, and throw some cloves of garlic, cubes of butter, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme into the pan, for my aromatics.

i didnt go in depth as i couldve. i was mainly joking because the thread turned into a Custers Last Stand thread. why i joked about "generally" making "custard". i actually just threw a brisket on smoker about 45 mins ago for easter (late lunch/eqrly dinner...one of those 3pm things).

if want to get more in debt. ive been busy this offseason so havent paid much attention to whether any of our DL signings were big bodies. I guess its why you cant say for certain what front we are gonna run, despite the coaches heritage. Raekwon couldnt get to the qb to save his life. when Vic was brought on, they shouldve told Davis to put on 20-30 pounds and just be a massive space eater.

Thats why i mention 3-4 front, Seiler is true DE, you still need those other 2...280-300 pounders to go with the massive NT. 4-3, hes perfect size for a DT.

Guess Im old school, i kinda like the days of 2 DTs in the 280-300 lb range lined up in the 1 and the 3, and 2 DEs in the 250-280 lb range, hand in dirt lined up in the 5 and 7. Free the LBs up for different blitzes, etc.

With that, you can find rotational DL cheaper than can hold their own and do their job, and spend a little more on just the 3 LBs, who will be more of the stars of the show

Last edited:
I believe we have all of our starting DTs on the roster. In a base 3-4 Sieler and Harris will play DE, Jones will play NT and Gallimore/Hand will be rotational DE depth. If we run a 4 man front, Sieler will play DT and (probably) Jones will play the other DT. If we need more pass rush, Jones can be subbed out for one of the other guys.

This is a very deep draft for OL, WR and DT. If Newton or Murphy are there at 21, I could see us drafting them. They are ā€œundersizedā€ DTs, but hands down the most polished pass rushers in the class. If they are both gone at 21, I see almost no chance we draft a DT.

At 55, guys like Jenkins, Sweat, Hall, Robinson, or Eboigbe could all be in play (would assume 2-3 of them will be gone by the time we draft).

Unless we trade down for a later day 1 or early day 2 pick, I think we probably wonā€™t draft a DT. Jenkins at 21 would be pretty rough if guys like Barton or Fautanu are still available. Our team needs Tua to play well to win, and our OL has no clear starting RG (plus Armstead and Wynn are injury prone).

I get our fanā€™s desire to immediately replace Wilkins, but when Armstead, Wynn and possibly Jackson (who has also been fairly injury prone) miss time a rookie DT isnā€™t going to help us win. Personally speaking, I would draft the best available OL with pick 21 and 55.

Right now... I'd guess...

Sieler
Benito
Hand

But Hand is only a very nominal starter. Both Galimore and Harris will give him a run.
That's how I have it.

Seiler is a given.
I see Benito as a 2-down guy, but clearly a starting level NT. He was the starter on a very good Detroit team last season so I don't get why some people here are claiming he's a back-up?
I'm not a big fan of Gallimore. I like Hand and Harris more. I see them as decent enough.

I don't have a DL as that big of a need. If the BPA is a DL then fine. I expect a deep rotation and we can upgrade the talent we have. But I have OL and WR as bigger needs. I also have DL below S on the need list even though we are unlikely to draft a S high. I also think there are potential IOL, WR and S options likely to be available after June 1st.

So DL is 4th on my "need" list, but based on the talent likely to be available in the draft, where we pick, etc., I would guess that odds are that our top 2 picks will be among OL, WR and DL.

Our tastes in Westerns, are mostly subjective. We like what we like. I consider most John Wayne westerns fairly middling at best. But on a slow afternoon, that is okay. But if the name Peckinpah is connected to a Western it will be high on my list. Just about any old western starring Robert Taylor, Audie Murphy or Randolph Scott will generally be held in higher regard than the Duke Wayne fare. That is not as much to belittle the Duke, but more for the regard I have for the others. Just never tell me you are a Western movie aficionado and then tell me how great The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was. I'll just laugh at you. It is the most overrated drivel John Ford ever directed or John Wayne ever starred in. It fails on so many levels. When someone asks me to name my top 10, no Wayne movie is included and I do not make a conscious effort to leave them out. I can just easily think of 10 or more that IMO are better. To each their own.
I loved Hombre with Paul Newman playing the coolest Indian ever!! It was an outstanding book, screenplay and feature film. Richard Boone, Paladin, was also great in this film. Just watch it. If you like Westerns at all you'll love Hombre.

I believe we have all of our starting DTs on the roster. In a base 3-4 Sieler and Harris will play DE, Jones will play NT and Gallimore/Hand will be rotational DE depth. If we run a 4 man front, Sieler will play DT and (probably) Jones will play the other DT. If we need more pass rush, Jones can be subbed out for one of the other guys.

This is a very deep draft for OL, WR and DT. If Newton or Murphy are there at 21, I could see us drafting them. They are ā€œundersizedā€ DTs, but hands down the most polished pass rushers in the class. If they are both gone at 21, I see almost no chance we draft a DT.

At 55, guys like Jenkins, Sweat, Hall, Robinson, or Eboigbe could all be in play (would assume 2-3 of them will be gone by the time we draft).

Unless we trade down for a later day 1 or early day 2 pick, I think we probably wonā€™t draft a DT. Jenkins at 21 would be pretty rough if guys like Barton or Fautanu are still available. Our team needs Tua to play well to win, and our OL has no clear starting RG (plus Armstead and Wynn are injury prone).

I get our fanā€™s desire to immediately replace Wilkins, but when Armstead, Wynn and possibly Jackson (who has also been fairly injury prone) miss time a rookie DT isnā€™t going to help us win. Personally speaking, I would draft the best available OL with pick 21 and 55.
The need for better talent on the oline is something I agree with. I think we could nail down 3 studs in the first 100 players with a trade back. We can snag 2 oline pieces and maybe T'Vonte Sweat at 55 if he's there. We almost have to trade down, otherwise, we're going to watch 100 players come off the board after we pick at 55. That would really suck.

We carried 5 DL on the roster last year... remember, all season long, the press said, "the Dolphins are short of the D Line"... and we lucked out, no one was ever hurt and it worked.
This year, we'll rotate a LOT more than we did last year, so I suspect that we'll carry 6... and we presently have 5 veterans plus Pili on the roster.

So... every player we draft on the D line also comes with a cut on the D line. We won't carry 7.

Sieler, Harris
Benito, Pili
Hand, Galimore

Plus Mack and Nixon have some experience.

Hand and Pili would be least expensive to cut, the other 4 have some or all of their contracts guaranteed.

I really don't expect us to draft 2 D Linemen. I usually look to the guaranteed money in an effort to gauge the team's commitment to each player. Benito and Galimore's contracts are 100% guaranteed... so I really think they are safest... even though Hand is a returnee.

I honestly think we'll draft just one guy, and in a perfect world, he's a DT/DE type. D. Robinson if we bite early.

We carried 5 DL on the roster last year... remember, all season long, the press said, "the Dolphins are short of the D Line"... and we lucked out, no one was ever hurt and it worked.
This year, we'll rotate a LOT more than we did last year, so I suspect that we'll carry 6... and we presently have 5 veterans plus Pili on the roster.

So... every player we draft on the D line also comes with a cut on the D line. We won't carry 7.

Sieler, Harris
Benito, Pili
Hand, Galimore

Plus Mack and Nixon have some experience.

Hand and Pili would be least expensive to cut, the other 4 have some or all of their contracts guaranteed.

I really don't expect us to draft 2 D Linemen. I usually look to the guaranteed money in an effort to gauge the team's commitment to each player. Benito and Galimore's contracts are 100% guaranteed... so I really think they are safest... even though Hand is a returnee.

I honestly think we'll draft just one guy, and in a perfect world, he's a DT/DE type. D. Robinson if we bite early.
Some weeks there were only 4 IDL on the 53. Pili made the 53 out of camp and lasted there till Week 9. Waived and signed to the PS. Ogbah was more of an edge/OLB in the Fangio defense so didn't count much as depth behind Wilkins, Sieler, and Davis. Hand was on the PS for Week 1, and then signed to the active roster and played every game from Week 2 on. But after Pili went to the PS, there were quite a few weeks where the IDL contingent was just 4. Wilkins, Sieler, Davis, and Hand. Hand got very few snaps. He only made it above 200 due to the WC game snaps. Fangio often played just 2 at a time, with 2 Edges/OLBs. Usually JP and Chubb, with AVG getting some reps till JP was lost and they were forced to start AVG in his spot. Ogbah got just a few snaps in reserve at Edge. But Fangio was kind of forced to use him toward the end. We were told before camp that Fangio liked using a lot of light boxes and that turned out to be true. He was willing to sacrifice some run defense to add an extra secondary defender. I don't know where to look up how many snaps we used the 3 man line of Wilkins, Davis, and Sieler together, with JP/AVG, and Chubb at Edge, but my guess would be it was something like 25-35% at most.

The need for better talent on the oline is something I agree with. I think we could nail down 3 studs in the first 100 players with a trade back. We can snag 2 oline pieces and maybe T'Vonte Sweat at 55 if he's there. We almost have to trade down, otherwise, we're going to watch 100 players come off the board after we pick at 55. That would really suck.
IMG_0475.png
The trade back dream, lol.

Tks junior. Quite busy but lurking around in the shadows enjoying speculation season from afar. Keep well.
how is it that your age is listed as 56, but the fellow you refer to as your junior is listed as age 61? :-) :)

Back
Top Bottom