Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3

If Miami had Jeudy, he is much better than Smith. Denver's QB is not good.
Jeudy is a slightly better route runner, but Smith's hands are in another stratosphere.

Jeudy had a game this year with SIX drops. Smith had like 3 drops all season.

Hypothetically if Stafford goes to the Patriots does that change the narrative on Deshaun Watson?

Not only would the Fins be contending with Josh Allen but Stafford in a Bill Belichick team would be very competitive too.

I’m not advocating trading for Watson but wondered what you guys thought would happen if Stafford went to the Patriots?

I personally think Chase translates better to the NFL game, I'm also a little wary of any alabama skill player

A highly accurate passer throwing to an elite route runner??? We should be ecstatic if this happens.

I'm not sold that we should trade down (if we even can) and try to get another pick and hope one of the other top 3 WRs falls to us.

Smiths hips don't lie man, he can't be covered.
The reason I’m sold on trading down is that as much as I love Tua, having two first rounders next season is great insurance IF we do need another QB. Feels like we could get an elite WR with a slight trade down and maybe grab a 1st. Just makes too much sense to me.

Gambling on greatness at the WR position hasn't worked since Julio Jones was picked #6 in 2011, but Smith at 7 would be ok. That would mean we added a future first that would offset the risk. That makes much more sense then picking him at #3.
How many teams have tried since then? When was there talent like Smith since 2012? It’s all relative man. I would still love him at 7 and think the risk is worth it if Detroit wants their QB at 3 after trading Stafford. Chase is about the best backup plan to Smith you could ask for.

I've never understood why some people think that a player is a good pick at one slot but a bad pick four slots earlier.
“Draft value...” something everyone forgets about after the opening kickoff of the season opener. No one cares what pick you used on your star players, if they’re putting up pro-bowl numbers.

If he is your guy and you have confidence in him to produce, you take him. You don’t concern yourself with if he is a few picks before, or a few picks after, his draft ranking. You just take him.

Yeah, Pitts can influence a game more than any WR if his game translates.
Is he as fast as Waller?
Is he as fast as DK Metcalf?

Gisecki will have 2 or 3 big catches 8n a game. This dude could do what Kelce does and get 10-12 catches.
You can always get a 1-dimensional burner WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.
If this guy has the necessary speed, he can carry your team like Kellen Winslow in that 1981 Chargers-Dolphins game.

“Draft value...” something everyone forgets about after the opening kickoff of the season opener. No one cares what pick you used on your star players, if they’re putting up pro-bowl numbers.

If he is your guy and you have confidence in him to produce, you take him. You don’t concern yourself with if he is a few picks before, or a few picks after, his draft ranking. You just take him.
this is the same thing people say every single year, so they ignore analytics, facts, and historical draft data, and keep making the same mistakes over and over while other teams later in the draft reap the benefits. The current 10-15 best WRs in the league were not drafted in the top 10. It’s not necessary, that is an objective fact.

I've never understood why some people think that a player is a good pick at one slot but a bad pick four slots earlier.
In this case it would be because one scenario would net you an extra first round pick.

The reason I’m sold on trading down is that as much as I love Tua, having two first rounders next season is great insurance IF we do need another QB. Feels like we could get an elite WR with a slight trade down and maybe grab a 1st. Just makes too much sense to me.
Well if we have a trade partner who wants to give us this year's first and next year's.....I agree, we have to entertain that.

However, do we really think that the QBs (other than Lawrence) are worth trading up for? Especially since its likely the second best QB is going at #2 to the Jets?

I feel like everyone's being a little optimistic that we will have a lot of opportunity to trade down and get another 1st rounder. Im more optimistic that Smith will be an All-Pro and I want him on our team.

In this case it would be because one scenario would net you an extra first round pick.
Sure, we'd all love to trade down a bit and still get our guy, but if it's not possible then the most important thing is getting the guy.

this is the same thing people say every single year, so they ignore analytics, facts, and historical draft data, and keep making the same mistakes over and over while other teams later in the draft reap the benefits. The current 10-15 best WRs in the league were not drafted in the top 10. It’s not necessary, that is an objective fact.
I think people pick and choose what to glean from analytics. IMO the lesson is not that you can't take WRs in the top 10, but rather that the important WR traits are the ability to separate and catch the ball rather size/speed measurements that are too often prioritized in the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom