Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Insider Allbright has Miami taking Smith #3

This is a bold face lie. Negates the credibility of the rest of it.
It’s amazing the parts you guys hone in on instead of the overall point which is factually based and statistically proven.

before waddle got hurt they had the same amount of TDS and Waddle had about 80 more yards. The “bold faced lie” thing is a little over the top

Last edited:
It’s amazing the parts you guys hone in on instead of the overall point which is factually based and statistically proven.
I think by now everyone here knows how you feel about it. Don't take it to heart tho as none of us will decide who we draft. Just hope it's the right pick and root for the player to help us win.

before waddle got hurt they had the same amount of TDS and Waddle had about 80 more yards. The “bold faced lie” thing is a little over the top
Come on. Don't be one of those guys that uses a couple game sample size and thinks that's statistically relevant only because you desperately need to find anything you can to back your point. Smith more than doubled up Waddle's stats last year and then won the Heisman.

Stick with the draft success angle. The other stuff isn't going to do anything.

Come on. Don't be one of those guys that uses a couple game sample size and thinks that's statistically relevant only because you desperately need to find anything you can to back your point. Smith more than doubled up Waddle's stats last year and then won the Heisman.

Stick with the draft success angle. The other stuff isn't going to do anything.
I’m sorry, I was not clear. The stats I was referring WAS the draft angle.

The Waddle comparison was simply just to say calling it a “bold faced Lie” was a bit extreme.

I think by now everyone here knows how you feel about it. Don't take it to heart tho as none of us will decide who we draft. Just hope it's the right pick and root for the player to help us win.
Amen. And if we do end up taking Smith at 3, I’ll be cheering like hell for him.

I’m sorry, I was not clear. The stats I was referring WAS the draft angle.

The Waddle comparison was simply just to say calling it a “bold faced Lie” was a bit extreme.
Fair, and I get the draft bust angle with WRs. I just have a much different feeling about someone like Smith than I do most WRs that get drafted in the first. Big time performances in big time games means a lot to me.

I was onboard with drafting Tua but he was a special case. We were talking about one of the greatest college QBs of all time with an injury that did not have to do with his head or arms. Waddle has leg injuries and he is WR. He will consistently be using his legs and we do not know the status of his recovery or if he will return to game shape. Plus I think he is overrated as a player, not because of his injury.

I dont have anyone in particular in mind to pick in his stead, Jamar Chase if he is available possibly but he wont be there at 18.
Tua's injury involved his hips...a big component in the throwing motion, not to mention mobility issues. I'd say that was an injury enough to warrant concern from a person who doesn't like drafting injured players.

As far as Waddle is concerned, all I'll say to you is that before he got hurt he was outplaying Devonta Smith (Heisman Trophy winner) b a longshot.

Waddle
jw.PNG

Smith
ds.PNG

Smith

When Waddle was playing with Smith this year he had a lot more yardage on fewer catches and the same amount of touches. There is no denying that, facts cannot be refuted. To think Smith wins the Heisman or has the same year Chase did last year at LSU is just not dealing with reality. I love Smith as a prospect but Chase put up those numbers sharing the ball with Jefferson, Moss and Marshall.

That being said I would rather have Chase or Smith over Waddle. Waddle is short and coming off an injury. Miami + injured players never seems to work out.

When Waddle was playing with Smith this year he had a lot more yardage on fewer catches and the same amount of touches. There is no denying that, facts cannot be refuted. To think Smith wins the Heisman or has the same year Chase did last year at LSU is just not dealing with reality. I love Smith as a prospect but Chase put up those numbers sharing the ball with Jefferson, Moss and Marshall.

That being said I would rather have Chase or Smith over Waddle. Waddle is short and coming off an injury. Miami + injured players never seems to work out.
Chase doesn't average 21 yards a catch without Justin Jefferson catching 111 balls.

Chase doesn't average 21 yards a catch without Justin Jefferson catching 111 balls.
Trust me I get it, Smith has played as a complimentary piece and he has been the man. That is why I wish Chase played this year but maybe he knew with Brady and Burrow not being there it would hurt his stock. But other than his frame Smith has done it all and there are no apparent holes in his game. I think you cannot go wrong either way but after seeing the way Smith was getting slammed by CB's in the Title game and getting the broken finger that gave me some pause.

I would rather have Chase for his strength but I would not be sad if we got Smith as I think they will both be studs.

Trust me I get it, Smith has played as a complimentary piece and he has been the man. That is why I wish Chase played this year but maybe he knew with Brady and Burrow not being there it would hurt his stock. But other than his frame Smith has done it all and there are no apparent holes in his game. I think you cannot go wrong either way but after seeing the way Smith was getting slammed by CB's in the Title game and getting the broken finger that gave me some pause.

I would rather have Chase for his strength but I would not be sad if we got Smith as I think they will both be studs.
I'm with you. I prefer Smith, but give me either of them.

I've heard rumors that he was lazy with getting to learn the playbook and putting time in the film room, which doesn't seem like a Flores kind of player.
That would not surprise me. It's certainly an issue with some of their defensive players.

Drives me nuts.

How is that digging deep when it's an objective fact that pretty much all the best WRs in the NFL currently were picked in the 20's or much later, when so many other WRs that were graded higher were picked earlier and are not as good? That should serve as definitive proof we don't need to use pick #3 on an WR. The bottom line is we can't fool ourselves into thinking that this year is the outlier because we are so enamored with Smith that we have to use the #3 pick on him.

When good solid evidence is provided to make a point and the argument against it is you dig too deep, then you've won by default.

It's unfortunate that the loser has no idea he lost, but that is what happened!

How's this for an argument against Smith at #3, maybe this will be "framed" in a way that is acceptable to you. Over the past 10 years, only one of the best WR's from that draft class was drafted in the Top 10. Julio Jones at #6 in 2011. (if I missed one forgive me, but I don't think I did)

2020-Justin Jefferson at #22
2019-AJ Brown at #51, DK Metcalf at #64
2018-Calvin Ridley at #26
2017-Chris Godwin at #84, Kenny Golladay at #96
2016-Michael Thomas at #47, Tyreke Hill at #165
2015-Stefon Diggs at #146
2014-DeVante Adams at #53 (just to be transparent, Mike Evans was drafted at #7 but he's not as good as DeVante Adams. I wouldn't want to be accused of "framing" my argument)
2013-DeAndre Hopkins at #27
2012-TY Hilton at #92
2011-Julio Jones at #6

Can we please learn from draft history that it is completely unnecessary to use a pick as high as 3, or even in the top 10 to draft a #1 WR? It almost never works out. The WR's that have been picked in the Top 10 the past 10 years are: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Tevan Austin, Justin Blackmon, Julio Jones, and AJ Green. 3 Game changers on that list, and Smith doesn't have nearly the size of Jones, AJ Green, or Mike Evans.

The odds are WAY against Smith being worthy of a pick as high as #3. If we stay there, we need to ensure we hit on the pick and should learn from past mistakes of other teams.

doesn't matter who you draft at # 3 if your intention is he is the player to take you to a super bowl you're gonna be disappointed... last I watched it rakes a few more than 1 guy and they need to work together and be coached ....

need to build the team with TALENT

IMO the lesson from the draft is not about not drafting WRs high. It's about which traits matter. The NFL tends to over draft measurable traits like size, speed, etc. And tends to let good football players drop down in the draft b/c they lack some measurable. That's why so many good WRs have gone later. For me the most important traits for WRs are ability to separate and hands. Those traits are why I liked Jefferson last year.

Back
Top Bottom