Interesting Take On Vince Young.... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Take On Vince Young....

Pocoloco said:
Sure, some did, but not everybody. Not like this, just in terms of the raw number of Vince Young posts, and the almost daily stream of articles on ESPN or SI, I'd say things have picked up quite a bit. It's not a stretch of the imagination that things are bordering on a really bad type of mob-mentality

In regards to the media yes I agree 100%. They went from being all up on his jock to kicking him in the jock overnight.

hey speedrush99, are you a Gator? I graduated in 2004, had a great time watching the games down there in Gainesville. really miss it

Agent51 said:
I'm not defending Vince's 6 score, so I hope you aren't referring to me there. I am defending the fact that he IMPROVED and that the reason the author said he would fail at QB is ridiculous, and yes, I HAVE taken the wonderlic, I scored a 41. Does that mean it's easy or hard, or that I'd make a better thinking QB than anyone else? No, it just means I am good at test taking, I scored a 1440 on the SAT, that is 160 shy of perfect, doesn't mean I'm a rocket scientist though. I scored higher than the valedictorian of my class and yet SHE got a full academic scholarship to MIT, test don't mean very much and aren't an accurate measure of one's abilities, especially ones ability to play football. I KNOW there are many questions about Vince's style and play and ability to run a complex offense, THAT I am not disputing, and if that lame article had stated THOSE reasons as to why he would fail or struggle than I wouldn't have had much to say, because it would have been correct, there ARE questions about his mechanics and defense reading skills, and he did run a "dumbed down" offense at Texas, I am a diehard Longhorn fan and I'll be the first to admit their offense wasn't complex. HOWEVER, the article clearly states that Vince can't read and NFL defense "because he has a posse, wears bling, and has a friend as an agent". THAT is complete BS. MAYBE those aren't the best choices for him, but they in NO WAY effect his ability to read defenses. Again, yes, he DOES have to learn a LOT about reading defenses, but he would have to do that regardless of whether or not he "wears bling and has a posse" or if he picked a seasoned agent or a newbie.

As far as philter and arguing that Marino's low score was in the minority, yeah, but they are EXAMPLES. It's just funny that SO much is made of the wonderlic when three HoF QBs scored LOWER than Vince. I'm not defending Vince's score, or saying he is a better/smarter QB, I'm trying to show the wonderlic doesn't mean much. Peyton Manning only got a 28 or something like that, that is middle ground for the test. MOST of the GOOD QBs in the NFl scored in the 20s. Really BAD Qbs, the career 2nd and 3rd stringers and QBs that never even made it in the league scroed super high and really GOOD QBs, either current or retired and in the HoF or headed there, scored pretty low. I personally am not defending Vince Young or his score, I am just trying to prove 2 things. 1, the article's points, while they may be valid for CHARACTER issues (which I don't see a problem with as many players have agents that are friends or family and "wear bling" and have a "posse") yet they by no means effect the way he reads defenses, and 2, the wonderlic, while designed to give an idea of quick thinking and logic abiltiy, doesn't mean too much nor is it a very accurate measure of how a QB will perform. If anything it shows that Vince can learn from a mistake and improve the second time around, as he scored a full 10 points higher, and the same could be said for any QB who scored low, retakes it, and improves significantly. People look at how low he scored the first time around and how the second time around he only managed a 16, but they fail to see how much of an improvement that is. I'm not even a supporter of him, for our team anyway, of course I will support him in the NFL since he got my Longhorns a National Championship, but I want Cutler or Huff/DB in round one, I'm just defending the guy cuz he is suddenly getting a huge bum rap over his wonderlic and who he picked as an agent. The agent choice doesn't even effect anyone but him, it just means he has the potential to lose money, and that's nobody's problem but his own, so what does it mater to anyone else?

For someone so smart how do you not see the point of the article?

The POINT of the article, is that Vince is not ready to be a professional quarterback, ie. the face of the franchise....hence the title, Not Ready For Prime Time. The POINT of the article is that Vince is not showing the WISDOM to handle a job that requires a LOT of intangibles to be successful. Does Whitlock bring up reading a defense AT ALL? No. He openly wonders if Vince has the wisdom to handle the unique pressures associated with being the face of a multi-billion dollar corporation. He questions whether Vince has the commitment to be a film monkey and spend the copious amount of efforts necessary to maintain an edge week after week in the NFL.

The article said NOTHING about his lack of wisdom will prevent him from reading a defense.

Yes, Vince should have dressed up for his meeting with the president, in the white house.

No, he should not be traveling to all the NFL functions with his posse in tow, clearly showing that the man in charge of Young and his posse is some night club owner named 'Black'.

No, he should not have been a no-show for a fancy hodge-podge owners party during Super Bowl week in which he would have had the chance to dress up and impress his potential employers, but he was indeed a no-show and Mr. Whitlock didn't even bother bringing that one up.

No, he should not have been a no-show to an appointment he and his agent set with important corporate sponsors to discuss endorsement deals...but he was a no-show anyway.

No, he should not have hired Major Adams, the biggest joke of an agent since Ricky hired Master P, to be in charge of Vince Young's actions and image during an EXTREMELY important time period that could make or break his bank account. But, he hired him anyway.

No, he should not have gone spouting off at the mouth telling reporters how he'd throw at the Combine but wouldn't run because scouts know about his legs and don't need to see him run. But, he did that too. I'm sure scouts appreciated him telling them what they do and do not need to see.

No, he shouldn't have promised to throw at the Combine period. He should have known that it would have been wise not to stack his unusual mechanics and relatively unpolished throwing ability next to more classic and polished dropback passers.

No, he should not have backed down once he DID promise to throw at the Combine. That just made him look foolish, and emphasized what a foolish decision it was to go talking to the press in the first place.

Yes, he SHOULD have had his agent hire real NFL receivers to catch passes from him, instead of his homies, high school teammates who proceeded to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and make him look bad in pre-combine preparation workouts.

Yes, he SHOULD have hired a QB coach like Jerry Rhome WAY before a mere week prior to the Combine. But, he didn't.

Yes, he should have known he was going to take a wonderlic exam at the Combine, there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing, nor is there an excuse for not preparing for it.

Since the Rose Bowl Vince Young has been a walking, talking disaster zone. He has SAID and DONE all the WRONG things...and has NOT DONE all the RIGHT things.

He does NOT have the wisdom, commitment, or humility to handle the unique extra-curricular challenges associated with being a star QB in the NFL, and THAT was the point of the article.

As for SAT scores, maybe if you scored a 1540 like me, you'd have gotten the point of the article better. ;)

ckparrothead said:
As for SAT scores, maybe if you scored a 1540 like me, you'd have gotten the point of the article better. ;)

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :0wned: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

ckparrothead said:
For someone so smart how do you not see the point of the article?

The POINT of the article, is that Vince is not ready to be a professional quarterback, ie. the face of the franchise....hence the title, Not Ready For Prime Time. The POINT of the article is that Vince is not showing the WISDOM to handle a job that requires a LOT of intangibles to be successful. Does Whitlock bring up reading a defense AT ALL? No. He openly wonders if Vince has the wisdom to handle the unique pressures associated with being the face of a multi-billion dollar corporation. He questions whether Vince has the commitment to be a film monkey and spend the copious amount of efforts necessary to maintain an edge week after week in the NFL.

The article said NOTHING about his lack of wisdom will prevent him from reading a defense.

Yes, Vince should have dressed up for his meeting with the president, in the white house.

No, he should not be traveling to all the NFL functions with his posse in tow, clearly showing that the man in charge of Young and his posse is some night club owner named 'Black'.

No, he should not have been a no-show for a fancy hodge-podge owners party during Super Bowl week in which he would have had the chance to dress up and impress his potential employers, but he was indeed a no-show and Mr. Whitlock didn't even bother bringing that one up.

No, he should not have been a no-show to an appointment he and his agent set with important corporate sponsors to discuss endorsement deals...but he was a no-show anyway.

No, he should not have hired Major Adams, the biggest joke of an agent since Ricky hired Master P, to be in charge of Vince Young's actions and image during an EXTREMELY important time period that could make or break his bank account. But, he hired him anyway.

No, he should not have gone spouting off at the mouth telling reporters how he'd throw at the Combine but wouldn't run because scouts know about his legs and don't need to see him run. But, he did that too. I'm sure scouts appreciated him telling them what they do and do not need to see.

No, he shouldn't have promised to throw at the Combine period. He should have known that it would have been wise not to stack his unusual mechanics and relatively unpolished throwing ability next to more classic and polished dropback passers.

No, he should not have backed down once he DID promise to throw at the Combine. That just made him look foolish, and emphasized what a foolish decision it was to go talking to the press in the first place.

Yes, he SHOULD have had his agent hire real NFL receivers to catch passes from him, instead of his homies, high school teammates who proceeded to run around like chickens with their heads cut off and make him look bad in pre-combine preparation workouts.

Yes, he SHOULD have hired a QB coach like Jerry Rhome WAY before a mere week prior to the Combine. But, he didn't.

Yes, he should have known he was going to take a wonderlic exam at the Combine, there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing, nor is there an excuse for not preparing for it.

Since the Rose Bowl Vince Young has been a walking, talking disaster zone. He has SAID and DONE all the WRONG things...and has NOT DONE all the RIGHT things.

He does NOT have the wisdom, commitment, or humility to handle the unique extra-curricular challenges associated with being a star QB in the NFL, and THAT was the point of the article.

The POINT of the article is that Vince isn't NFL ready, yes, I already SAID I got that, HOWEVER, the REASONS the author gives are completely ridiculous. I don't care what you (not tryin to be a dick, lol), the author, or anyone says, how Vince Young, or ANYONE for that matter, dresses, who they hire for an agent, and if they hang out with a bunch of people or not has NOTHING TO DO with how he plays football, how many times do I, an others, have to say it? Yes, there are PLENTY of questions surrounding Vince, but all the points brought up in the article, and in your post, are CHARACTER issues, not football skill issues. OK, so MAYBE there are characters issues, I never disputed that (although I see nothing wrong with his decisions) but the author of the article was basically stateing that those "character issues" mean he can't read NFL defenses or win games in the NFL. I'm sorry but that has NOTHING TO DO with his dress and his agent. If the article were about his CHARACTER then yes, those would have been valid points, or if he used Vince's throwing motion and mechanics and lack of experience in a complex offense etc etc as examples as to why he can't play in the NFL then THOSE would have been valid points, HOWEVER, he mixed the two up, he wrote about his OFF-FIELD character means he won't be a good ON-FIELD player, they don't have anythign to do with each other. Ask Ray Lewis, he is a great LB and he had the murder charges, Michael Irvin and the coke charges, Mike Vick and the rape/sexual assault charges, Jamal Lewis and the drug trafficking charges, switching sports, Kobe Bryant and the rape charges, etc etc, all MUCH worse than the "character issues" surrounding Vince and yet all of them will be HoF player in their sports, or are at least all stars. And before you say Vince isn't as good as any of them (which has yet to be seen BTW) that wasn't my point. The point is all those great players had pretty bad off-field choices and yet they still have all-star caliber ON field performances, so why does the way Vince dresses, the fact that he chills with friends, and the fact that he picked a family friend as an agent make him a bad FOOTBALL player? IT DOESN'T. And that is all the artile said, those 3 points (wears "bling", has a "posse" and has an inexperienced agent) were the reason he can't play QB in the NFL :shakeno:

I'm sorry dude but you're seeing things that aren't there. His entire point, and indeed the title of his damn article, was that Vince is simply not ready for the spotlight, or "prime time" as he put it.

ckparrothead said:
I'm sorry dude but you're seeing things that aren't there. His entire point, and indeed the title of his damn article, was that Vince is simply not ready for the spotlight, or "prime time" as he put it.

I'm sorry dude, but Im not seeing things that aren't there:

"The fact that Young had to take the Wonderlic twice in order to score a 16 is an indication to me that Young did not prepare for the test, particularly the first time. That speaks to Young's arrogance."

Beacuse he struggled on the test means he is arrogant? OK, so does that mean every other player who scroed low is/was arrogant too? Yea, a 6 is bad, but he improved TEN points, so give it a rest. Speaking of arrogance, how about Matt Leinart's "We are still better" quote after the Rose Bowl? That shows real "humility" there, bashing the team that just beat you on the biggest stage (in college terms) and saying you are still better just beacuse your college career didn't have it's fairy tale ending :shakeno:

"....So does his choice in representation and his decision to visit the president and the White House sans sports coat and tie.

Are you following me?...."

Again, yeah, he SHOULD have worn a sport coat and tie for the president, but how does that make him a bad football player?

"....When you have a chance at being the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, securing a $25 million signing bonus and landing one of the 32 most important jobs in professional sports, you don't pick a family friend and local criminal defense attorney (Major Adams) to head up your campaign. That's not keeping it real. It's foolish and arrogant. It raises questions about your decision-making and maturity....."

There's that "arrogant" word again. I'm glad that picking someone you TRUST makes you arrogant, I guess I'm arrogant too then because I would do the same thing. Also, what the HELL does it matter, if ANYTHING he will just make less money than he would with some "professional" agent. To me, if he is willing to take that chance then it shows money isn't the biggest factor to him, on top of the fact that he said WHOEVER he plays for he won't hold out, means he ISN'T arrogant and DID make a mature decision. Like I said, I'd pick someone close to me that I trust over a stranger who will try and convince me to hold out just so THEY get more money off you ANY day.

".... A seasoned agent might be able to explain to Young the difference between being an NFL quarterback and an NBA small forward.
Small forwards travel with posses decked out in white T's, bling bling and agents in sweat suits. NFL quarterbacks don't...."

SO beacuse h eplays in the NFL he can't walk around with his friends, or wear what he is comfotable in, or wear "bling bling" when you know that is the first thing pretty much EVERY athlete turning pro buys, what, is he supposed to buy it just to look at? Technically he would alway be in the public eye when not in his house, so does that mean no matter where he goes he needs a "sprt coat and tie" and can't wear "bling bling? Freakin' please. OOOO, he travels with friends, GOOD, it means he didn't get a big head and forget who his friends are now that he is set to be a multi-millionaire at 21 (or however old he is).

"....A starting NFL quarterback is the face of a billion-dollar corporation. He is one of the three or four highest-profile individuals in his city and perhaps in his state. His every move is cussed, discussed and analyzed by millions of people who don't have a clue about playing the position...."

I don't need to say anything more about that quote, because the author himself just said it all, "millions of people who DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT PLAYING THE POSITION", Jay Whitlock included, so basically anything he said before or says after holds no weight since he just said he doesn't have't a clue about playing the position, therefore it's all opinions on his part, not "Facts" like he is stating.

"....Before any NFL owner gives Young a bunch of guaranteed dollars, the general manager better make sure Young is going to hit the film room and practice field just as hard as Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Tom Brady. The GM also should make sure that the head coach and offensive coordinator -- not some let's-hit-the-strip-clubs posse member -- have the ear of the quarterback...."

LOL, are you kidding me? Donovan McNabb in the same sentance as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? OK, too bad McNabb is the biggest dick EVER off the field, and he walks around in big white Ts and full of "bling bling" too, and I know this for a FACT because during the last Pro Bowl (not the one that just passed) he came to the club I work at. He is a COMPLETE jerk (for lack of a better, non-profanity word), and was all "blinged" out, where's the articles about that? He was the complete opposite of "humble" and not ANYTHING like he portrays on TV/in the media.

Looks like the stuff I "saw" WAS, in fact, in the article.

Again, NOWHERE in any of those quotes does it say what his abilities are on the football field. The focus of the article was entirely on his ability to handle he position from an INTANGIBLE perspective...his preparation (which ties to his commitment), his willingness to accept coaching (which ties to his humility), and his decision making ability OFF the field (a la Ryan Leaf).

I'm sorry if you can't see that. It is quite obvious.

Pocoloco said:
hey speedrush99, are you a Gator? I graduated in 2004, had a great time watching the games down there in Gainesville. really miss it

No, I wish, Just a huge fan.

Back
Top Bottom