Interesting thoughts and stats on Miami's offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting thoughts and stats on Miami's offense

Here is one person's opinion. My question is was the difference from weeks 1-13 versus 14-18 a function of the injuries to the WRs (not OL interestingly) the author talks about OR were the teams they were playing late in the year better, and the offense also had other issues related to certain players not mentioned in this analysis? Important question, because this also impacts how you solve for the problem.

Here is a snippet, full tweet linked to below: "From Weeks 1-13, Miami was #3 in EPA vs. Zone and #3 in EPA vs. Man.From Weeks 14-18, Miami was still #3 in EPA vs. Zone, but dropped to #22 in EPA vs. Man."

I merged your thread with another thread with the same stuff from brother CK

Thanks for posting

I'll bet those pop ups get annoying. You know you can fix all that ...kiss me twice I'm schizophrenic

I'm going to oversimply this. When the run game is working, continue to run the ball.

I know that's not what the article is about, but games were potentially lost by not sticking with the run. One dimensional doesn't usually work. Miami was at its best with a balanced attack.

Better yet, improve the offense line to the point where you can really lean on the run game. That would help in cold weather games when a timing passing game becomes more difficult.

I would also like to see the Dolphins add a physical, power back to complement this group of running backs.

I'm going to oversimply this. When the run game is working, continue to run the ball.

I know that's not what the article is about, but games were potentially lost by not sticking with the run. One dimensional doesn't usually work. Miami was at its best with a balanced attack.

Better yet, improve the offense line to the point where you can really lean on the run game. That would help in cold weather games when a timing passing game becomes more difficult.

I would also like to see the Dolphins add a physical, power back to complement this group of running backs.
Tell McDaniel that

The offense also played against some tuff defenses in Weeks 14-18 that CK didn’t mention, which they played a part too. Their rank by points allowed is below.

Week 14: Titans 16th
Week 15: Jets 12th
Week 16: Cowboys 5th
Week 17: Ravens 1st
Week 18: Bills 4th

With all due respect, I still don't think Tua can reach the other level, but that's a debate for another thread that I do not wish to start because there is already hundreds of threads on why Tua is not it and I don't want to start another because this will just be another Tua thread.

No worries. Happens all the time just check the forum for threads before starting a new one

Thanks
Yes. I actually do. I have screwed it up 3 times believe it or not. It is hard to read every single thread, so I check the titles. The first time I screwed up, the title was terribly misleading. The 2nd time i screwed up, was completely my fault, it was obvious as the title was clear, and I missed it somehow. This time, the title was a tad goofy (although not sure my title was much more indicative of the content), and the actual tweet I thought was not well disseminated and nobody else would have seen it anyway. But I was quite wrong! Anyway, again my apologies.

The offense also played against some tuff defenses in Weeks 14-18 that CK didn’t mention, which they played a part too. Their rank by points allowed is below.

Week 14: Titans 16th
Week 15: Jets 12th
Week 16: Cowboys 5th
Week 17: Ravens 1st
Week 18: Bills 4th
My point exactly. The author of the tweet missed the most important issue, and it could render the whole analysis worthless

Tua is not even in the top 10 of issues our offense had. Injuries to the OL, receivers, and RB top the list. However, even when completely healthy, the OL is below average and looked better than they were because of a QB who can get the ball out in 2.3 seconds. The OL was exposed against better teams who could disrupt our passing scheme and throw off the timing and our QB was hit and pressured above 2.23 seconds a majority of the year.

Also right up there is play calling. McDaniel looked brilliant with a somewhat healthy team against lower competition, because they couldn't stop our few basic plays. He looked predictable against the better teams. He also did not run the ball when he should have and that cost us several games including the Titans game, which cost us the AFC East. I think we need a real OC making play calls with McD's input.

Lastly, the people putting all or even most of how our season ended on Tua, are either haters, have no football IQ what so ever, or a combination there of.

Get a real OL that can stay healthy, and an OC who will run the ball when needed and is less predictable against better teams....and we will win playoff games!
The oline looked halfway decent compared to the past 20 years of dolphin football. Imagine if we drafted a stud left guard. I think this coaching staff and coach. If we can get better/healthier on the oline, it will only make everything better. Tua literally had 2 seconds to throw before he got decapitated which forced some of those bad throws

Hopefully Brooks can be that power back. But if one is available in later rounds then snap him up.

Tell McDaniel that
Actually we were around 45/55 run/pass ratio, which is middle of the pack. It's not unbalanced, relative to the NFL overall.

If one wants to quibble about situational calls, that's a different matter.

Back
Top Bottom