Interesting thoughts and stats on Miami's offense | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting thoughts and stats on Miami's offense

No, and I agree there were times when the wise move would have been running.

I think it also had to do with McDs lack of confidence in the Oline against heavy boxes.
I can't overstate how much losing Williams at center and the drop off to Eichenberger effected and changed what the offense was capable of doing. Add the continuous injuries at the other offensive line positions and it was just too much to overcome when Miami faced the tougher defenses on their schedule at the end of the year.

Hopefully we get guys in place to solve the offensive line problems. Us missing Phillips and Chubbs for weeks is vaunting for our new coordinator

Tua is not even in the top 10 of issues our offense had. Injuries to the OL, receivers, and RB top the list. However, even when completely healthy, the OL is below average and looked better than they were because of a QB who can get the ball out in 2.3 seconds. The OL was exposed against better teams who could disrupt our passing scheme and throw off the timing and our QB was hit and pressured above 2.23 seconds a majority of the year.

Also right up there is play calling. McDaniel looked brilliant with a somewhat healthy team against lower competition, because they couldn't stop our few basic plays. He looked predictable against the better teams. He also did not run the ball when he should have and that cost us several games including the Titans game, which cost us the AFC East. I think we need a real OC making play calls with McD's input.

Lastly, the people putting all or even most of how our season ended on Tua, are either haters, have no football IQ what so ever, or a combination there of.

Get a real OL that can stay healthy, and an OC who will run the ball when needed and is less predictable against better teams....and we will win playoff games!
YES. Yes, yes!!!

Hmmm, so I believe McDaniel did do the right thing when it came to designing this offense around the qbs skill set

We now know Tuaā€™s superpowers which is anticipation, quick release and accuracy.

So McDaniel goes to the extreme and caters exactly to those three things by offering g up the fastest offense in the game from snap to release

Now the challenge is what is left on the bone with Tuas skill set to diversify this offense.

And for him to add other skills like creativity and movement heā€™s gonna have to really dedicate himself BODY and mind

Now we can build the line better to be more dominant so it allows him more time to survey and go through reads but Iā€™m not sure if that strays away from the original concepts and catering to the strengths, I know it would take redesigning the offense conceptually
We'd be fools to stray. There's too much watching games and too much fanciful adjustment. If somebody was on safari for 5 months then inherited these numbers the only reaction would be wow.

Stay the course and take your best shot at incremental improvement. There's really not a heck of a lot of room above where we are.

I agree that Tua needs to value his profession and his prime, and not the prime rib. I didn't see that skills competition. Yesterday I did see a still picture of Tua on the sideline. My god it looked like a fat person ate him.

I like and respect ckparrothead. However, this type of research is ridiculously overblown. Unfortunately it's how the Dolphin fan base has evolved, along with NFL fans everywhere. Nobody wants to dump the season when it ends and turn to other interests. Instead it's the 12-month version of All-22, where every variable has to be pursued and hyper analyzed. The social media world demands it. The result is less clarity, not more.

I'll stick to my generalities, which have produced some nice tickets on the Chiefs, and room to turn the page toward great theater like the biathlon world championships which began today.

And why do you think that is? Do you think the Fins converted 3rd and shorts better when running?

They were 10/18 running the ball, with 3.6 yards per run
They were 24/38 passing the ball, with 9 yards per passing attempts(2nd in the league)

Tell me why you think running more in those situations would've been a better idea...
I feel a little attitude in your post, so letā€™s dive in. Because your numbers are kinda ambiguous. Let me get into some stats and Iā€™ll cite my source at the end.

Miami was 19th in converting 3rd or 4th and short at 48.20%.

In these situations, Miami passed the ball the 2nd most in the NFL at 68.75% and ran the 2nd least at 31.25%. So if we are converting at a 48% clip, your numbers donā€™t match mine, and it shows we are not doing it well passing, either.

Interesting to note, the top 12 teams at converting 3rd and 4th and short are NOT among the top teams that passed in that situation... other than ranks 4-6, the rest of the top12 were in the bottom 16 at throwing in these situations. Cinci, at 13th best, was the highest rank team at converting that was also in top5 in throwing in these situation.

One thing Iā€™d like to know, is you have 56 attempts which is in alignment with the stats I haveā€¦ but your conversions of 10 and 24 are off and would rank us as 3rd best in these situations.. which we all know we werenā€™t.

Whatā€™s your argument here? That we are better at throwing in these types of situations? The stars donā€™t bare that out and the ā€œeye testā€ didnā€™t either as it was a conversation topic here many times.

Source: https://nfllines.com/nfl-2023-short-yardage-offense-defense/

Attachments

• IMG_2089.png
    IMG_2089.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Actually we were around 45/55 run/pass ratio, which is middle of the pack. It's not unbalanced, relative to the NFL overall.

If one wants to quibble about situational calls, that's a different matter.
May be nothing to quibble regarding run/pass ratio ...
Is there any quibble regarding the 59% of the passes were to Hill/Waddle? :shrug: :cheers:

I can't overstate how much losing Williams at center and the drop off to Eichenberger effected and changed what the offense was capable of doing. Add the continuous injuries at the other offensive line positions and it was just too much to overcome when Miami faced the tougher defenses on their schedule at the end of the year.
agree, we cannot go into this season with Eich at center, just can't

Miami went from a top 3 rated center to the worst rated center. The drop off was monumental, it killed both the running game and the passing game.

@NBP81 might have something to say about this. I believe not rushing ever was the solution ...

Mostert was 7/8 in 3rd/4th and less than two. The only short yardage problem Miami has is a coach that gets too cute rather than play smash mouth football when itā€™s called for. With that said Iā€™m all for Henry if he wants to play for cheap with a contender in his home state.

Bob Dole, also you can refer to my post to @NY8123 a few above to explain that more passing was the problem, not the solution.

I feel a little attitude in your post, so letā€™s dive in. Because your numbers are kinda ambiguous. Let me get into some stats and Iā€™ll cite my source at the end.

Miami was 19th in converting 3rd or 4th and short at 48.20%.

In these situations, Miami passed the ball the 2nd most in the NFL at 68.75% and ran the 2nd least at 31.25%. So if we are converting at a 48% clip, your numbers donā€™t match mine, and it shows we are not doing it well passing, either.

Interesting to note, the top 12 teams at converting 3rd and 4th and short are NOT among the top teams that passed in that situation... other than ranks 4-6, the rest of the top12 were in the bottom 16 at throwing in these situations. Cinci, at 13th best, was the highest rank team at converting that was also in top5 in throwing in these situation.

One thing Iā€™d like to know, is you have 56 attempts which is in alignment with the stats I haveā€¦ but your conversions of 10 and 24 are off and would rank us as 3rd best in these situations.. which we all know we werenā€™t.

Whatā€™s your argument here? That we are better at throwing in these types of situations? The stars donā€™t bare that out and the ā€œeye testā€ didnā€™t either as it was a conversation topic here many times.

Source: https://nfllines.com/nfl-2023-short-yardage-offense-defense/

I'm not to interested in the run/pass ratio except to say I agree - Miami should have run more. The two variables I find important are
1) how was the run called? One of Mcd's genius sweeps or between the tackles? That matters.
2) To give Mcd some cover, the middle of the OL was below poor in the run game. Maybe with 4 of 5 starters in, Mcd may have narrowed that ratio.
Yeah, I'm old school. Run more, but I can see why Mcd didn't.

I'm not to interested in the run/pass ratio except to say I agree - Miami should have run more. The two variables I find important are
1) how was the run called? One of Mcd's genius sweeps or between the tackles? That matters.
2) To give Mcd some cover, the middle of the OL was below poor in the run game. Maybe with 4 of 5 starters in, Mcd may have narrowed that ratio.
Yeah, I'm old school. Run more, but I can see why Mcd didn't.
Sure, I can see why we ran lessā€¦ but even late in the season, with our **** OL, when we ran on 3rd and short we converted.

Mostert was as strong as heā€™s ever been. He performed at a truly high level this year. To think he wouldnā€™t gain 2 yards behind even our **** OL is disingenuous. And as the poster above posted, we were 7/8 when we let him run on 3rd and short.

Seems like a lack of opportunities.

Iā€™m sure McD will get better with this. Yeah our OL was bad by the end of the season, but this has been more than a few game problem. We just need to run in 3rd and short more often, itā€™s not really a massive adjustment needed.

No, and I agree there were times when the wise move would have been running.

I think it also had to do with McDs lack of confidence in the Oline against heavy boxes.
There is data to back this up. There is also data to show Miami converted at a higher rate passing than rushing, some just want to overlook this. This has everything to do with the O-line and type of running game McD runs. This ain't the Dallas Cowboy line or even Philly line, this line is designed to gain chunk plays in both the running game and passing game.

Back
Top Bottom