Interesting Video | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting Video

Better get used to it... Reality is, AI could call better plays than 90% of the OCs and DCs in the NFL.... Every complicated problems are being solved by RL and neural networks these days, if football ever gets solved, I promise you it wont be by an NFL coach...

I completely believe Belichick has some advantage he uses but we won't know for some time. Especially in his stadium.
BB is just not THAT good.

So basically what this says is the dolphins are really trying to turn this thing around with innovation and new age thinking and philosophy. Dunno if this will work for us but i love the thinking.

I completely believe Belichick has some advantage he uses but we won't know for some time. Especially in his stadium.
BB is just not THAT good.
Video for sure. But those amazing half time adjustments are from a wired locker room. Most other teams already know this. Peyton was adamant that when he played in fox Boro during half time he would not go into the locker room...

Better get used to it... Reality is, AI could call better plays than 90% of the OCs and DCs in the NFL.... Every complicated problems are being solved by RL and neural networks these days, if football ever gets solved, I promise you it wont be by an NFL coach...

The difficulty of AI play-calling is time. Someone has to plug in down

While I agree, it will be difficult. the person tasked with calling, say, a D play, will have to enter down, distance, time on clock, the players in the O huddle, any D substitutions, and several other variables. AND get all the information entered, get the answer, and get the play to the QB in time to read the D (AI could be wrong) and snap the ball before delay of game. Not an easy task.

The difficulty of AI play-calling is time. Someone has to plug in down

While I agree, it will be difficult. the person tasked with calling, say, a D play, will have to enter down, distance, time on clock, the players in the O huddle, any D substitutions, and several other variables. AND get all the information entered, get the answer, and get the play to the QB in time to read the D (AI could be wrong) and snap the ball before delay of game. Not an easy task.
This could all be automated, hell computers have been calling football plays for as long as I can remember. What year did madden came out? While this is a cheap/mainstream version of what I call AI, Madden can let you chose how inteligent you what the game to be.

What makes this possible now is all players wear chips that collect data for nextgen stats. AI is much more well equiped to deal with all that data in real time than any human could ever dream of. And connecting game state into the program is actually a piece of cake. Hell alot of pro bettors now model game state to beat live-betting which requires almost instant response to actually place bets.

This could all be automated, hell computers have been calling football plays for as long as I can remember. What year did madden came out? While this is a cheap/mainstream version of what I call AI, Madden can let you chose how inteligent you what the game to be.

What makes this possible now is all players wear chips that collect data for nextgen stats. AI is much more well equiped to deal with all that data in real time than any human could ever dream of. And connecting game state into the program is actually a piece of cake. Hell alot of pro bettors now model game state to beat live-betting which requires almost instant response to actually place bets.

Agreed. My post was differentiating 'now' and 'soon.' I spent a number of years on programs to grab data and combine it into usable form. I agree, but don't like it, AI is coming. I don't think it will be next year.

Agreed. My post was differentiating 'now' and 'soon.' I spent a number of years on programs to grab data and combine it into usable form. I agree, but don't like it, AI is coming. I don't think it will be next year.
Sorry if I gave this impression, I dont think its coming any time soon either, just saying it could be done...IMO

Do all players wear next-gen? I've seen clips on YouTube. Is this data available to all teams in real time? If you know any good sights for research that would be great.

Do all players wear next-gen? I've seen clips on YouTube. Is this data available to all teams in real time? If you know any good sights for research that would be great.
Yeah thats the thing... the nextgen site does present some of the stats they make up with the raw data(separation, avg speed, avg cushion...) but they dont provide access to the raw data itself, which truly sucks.

I've had access to some of the raw data through kaggle.com, which is a machile learning competition platform. The NFL as created a few of those competions, mainly regarding player safety, but the latest was about predicting running success of a RB in real time based on speed and direction vectors.

Obviously, they provide the data in csv form, I havent seen that type of data anywhere else so I feel pretty confident that it came straight fom nextgen.

Nexgen stats:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/

Kaggle RB competition:
https://www.kaggle.com/c/nfl-big-data-bowl-2020/data

Now you can have access to much more specific data than what pro-football-reference provides for example, but its expensive. Try NFL API in google if you're interested. Havent found anything relevant for less than 100$ per month.

The data feed I use is mysportsfeeds.com, licenses are expensive but for personnal use you can join patreon and spit 5$ per month and have full access to their API, provided its for personnal use. You'll get the data in either csv or json format.

https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/data-feeds/

Yeah thats the thing... the nextgen site does present some of the stats they make up with the raw data(separation, avg speed, avg cushion...) but they dont provide access to the raw data itself, which truly sucks.

I've had access to some of the raw data through kaggle.com, which is a machile learning competition platform. The NFL as created a few of those competions, mainly regarding player safety, but the latest was about predicting running success of a RB in real time based on speed and direction vectors.

Obviously, they provide the data in csv form, I havent seen that type of data anywhere else so I feel pretty confident that it came straight fom nextgen.

Nexgen stats:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/

Kaggle RB competition:
https://www.kaggle.com/c/nfl-big-data-bowl-2020/data

Now you can have access to much more specific data than what pro-football-reference provides for example, but its expensive. Try NFL API in google if you're interested. Havent found anything relevant for less than 100$ per month.

The data feed I use is mysportsfeeds.com, licenses are expensive but for personnal use you can join patreon and spit 5$ per month and have full access to their API, provided its for personnal use. You'll get the data in either csv or json format.

https://www.mysportsfeeds.com/data-feeds/
Awesome info. I appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom