Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested

Chris Foerster….oh boy.
That was my thought as well. - LOL

Still, he has proven to be valuable and has impressed the coach he works for, so I'll give the man credit for that.

In the NFL it's what have you done for me lately!

GAROPPOLO: “Mike is awesome, man. He really is. He's kind of that, I don't want to say the mastermind behind everything, but he's kind of that guy in the background that doesn't say a whole ton to a lot of people, but his mind is always moving. The ideas that he comes up with are so fresh and new that it's a cool guy to have on the staff. Just the way that he can implement things. And he simplifies it down to, I mean he's a lot smarter than most of us. So he dumbs it down for us and kind of gets us all on the same page. And it's just a good combination with him and all the rest of the coaches.”

Q: Now that we've afforded the opportunity to talk to offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel this year, obviously he's serious quite a bit, but he might lead the NFL in sarcastic humor and dry wit. Is he much the same with you guys or just behind the scenes? Is kind of what we're seeing what you get?

SHANAHAN: “Yeah, I think so. I haven't watched his press conferences, I don't study them, but I have an idea of how they are, that's Mike. He's an acquired taste and you guys are getting it. So Mike's a good dude, he's really good at what he does and he's himself. He's one of the smartest coaches I've been around and he’s been huge to our team and huge for me throughout my entire career.”

Q: I'm not looking for a percentage, but obviously your run game has evolved quite a bit over the years. How much of that is Mike McDaniel?

SHANAHAN: “Mike does a ton of it. We all do it in here, but we all have our separate areas that we work on. Then we try to bring it together and patch it all together to make an offense as a whole. And then we distribute it to all our position coaches, so Mike gets as much credit as anyone in this building. [Offensive line coach] Chris Foerster gets a lot of credit, our O-Line, all the assistants, all the guys who draw it, the position coaches, but Mike's in charge of that. And Mike's been unbelievable, not just here, he did the same thing for me in Atlanta, Cleveland and was a big part in Washington too.”

He appears to be a solid OC candidate but as we saw with Flores, can he put together a competent coaching staff and be an effective HC?

He appears to be a solid OC candidate but as we saw with Flores, can he put together a competent coaching staff and be an effective HC?
McDaniel has coached this offense on multiple teams though... Flores was in NE the whole time and he was a scout for much of his tenure there... bad comp imo.

I think he can he's been in the league a long time. Flores either didn't want to or coaches did not want to work with him.

McDaniel's I believe can put a staff together as good as Quinn or Pederson can.

Pay this man a ton of money to be the assistant HC or OC behind someone with experience please!

Why so he can leave in a year or two to be a HC?

He's ready now to be a HC IMO.
That's one of the big issues. I was looking back at Dan Quinn's staff and he originally had Kyle Shanahan and Matt LaFleur on his staff. Well after two years of success they were both gone. Any young offensive guy that shows promise is going to be hired. You can't block a coordinator from interviewing for a HC.

I was all in on McDaniel until I saw him.... he looks like a highschooler. I like what he has done in SF and I know he can elevate Waddle, Gesciki, running game and especially Tua. Deebo has been money for San Fran and he is not as gifted as Waddle.

Here’s an article about him and his journey. Enjoy.

I am not sure if this has been answered or not but is Mike McDaniel calling the plays or is it, Shanahan? On the bright side I do like his personality along with his humor.

Back
Top Bottom