Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested | Page 40 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interview with Mike McDaniel Requested

I believe what is most important, and should be most important to the Dolphins brass, are the thoughts of all the notable coaches and the players each of these guys have worked with, as well as where these guys have worked and whom they learned from. I’d weigh far more heavily the opinions and feedbacks of these people than any impression I got or answer a candidate gave in an interview. Or his size, or the feeling I got talking with him. Essentially, my homework on the candidates would tell me whom to hire, not anything that comes from an interview.

And ultimately I feel this way because the Dolphins should have learned by now that there are NOT good at this. Their instincts in hiring suck. So stop pretending that you can assess a coach and ask the right questions. Instead do a lot of homework, talk to a lot of people, and essentially hire the guy with the best reviews.
What? You want them to Yelp the reviews for the next hire?

1) Because young offensive minds are a hot commodity right now in the NFL.

2) He has a great reputation around his team.

3) He worked under Shanahan and McVay two of the best offensive minds in the NFL.

It's not guaranteed he will work out but hiring a young offensive guy is the way to go. Just because Gase didn't work out doesn't mean the logic is wrong. Bengal are set up for a decade of success with Zac 'freakin' Taylor running the ship.

3) He worked under Shanahan and McVay two of the best offensive minds in the NFL.

It's not guaranteed he will work out but hiring a young offensive guy is the way to go. Just because Gase didn't work out doesn't mean the logic is wrong. Bengal are set up for a decade of success with Zac 'freakin' Taylor running the ship.
I remember posters laughing at the Bengals for that hire.

I remember posters laughing at the Bengals for that hire.
I remember laughing at that hire myself... If the guy understood one thing, its overkill the skill players on offense and reap rewards. Its been 20+ years since someone on the Fins tried that.

GAROPPOLO: “Mike is awesome, man. He really is. He's kind of that, I don't want to say the mastermind behind everything, but he's kind of that guy in the background that doesn't say a whole ton to a lot of people, but his mind is always moving. The ideas that he comes up with are so fresh and new that it's a cool guy to have on the staff. Just the way that he can implement things. And he simplifies it down to, I mean he's a lot smarter than most of us. So he dumbs it down for us and kind of gets us all on the same page. And it's just a good combination with him and all the rest of the coaches.”

Q: Now that we've afforded the opportunity to talk to offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel this year, obviously he's serious quite a bit, but he might lead the NFL in sarcastic humor and dry wit. Is he much the same with you guys or just behind the scenes? Is kind of what we're seeing what you get?

SHANAHAN: “Yeah, I think so. I haven't watched his press conferences, I don't study them, but I have an idea of how they are, that's Mike. He's an acquired taste and you guys are getting it. So Mike's a good dude, he's really good at what he does and he's himself. He's one of the smartest coaches I've been around and he’s been huge to our team and huge for me throughout my entire career.”

Q: I'm not looking for a percentage, but obviously your run game has evolved quite a bit over the years. How much of that is Mike McDaniel?

SHANAHAN: “Mike does a ton of it. We all do it in here, but we all have our separate areas that we work on. Then we try to bring it together and patch it all together to make an offense as a whole. And then we distribute it to all our position coaches, so Mike gets as much credit as anyone in this building. [Offensive line coach] Chris Foerster gets a lot of credit, our O-Line, all the assistants, all the guys who draw it, the position coaches, but Mike's in charge of that. And Mike's been unbelievable, not just here, he did the same thing for me in Atlanta, Cleveland and was a big part in Washington too.”

Chris Foerster is their O Line coach and their O line is much respected. Hmm.

I want to like the guy, but I see Gase all over again. Remember, when Gase was a HC candidate it was all sunshine and rainbows, he was an offensive genius, mastermind, etc. The warts only started appearing after his first season as HC.

Has McDaniel ever coached defense? I haven’t read the rest of the comments in the thread yet. I think we need a well rounded HC… McDaniel might be the guy, I don’t know, but he doesn’t have much experience, and im not sure we’re in the position the “lose” a couple of years where he’s still the beginning of a learning curve.

Zac Taylor is set up because he has Joe Burrow at QB. He went 2-14 his first year with the Bengals that allowed them to get the first pick and draft him. Nobody thought he was some offensive genius back then. That's what a franchise QB can do for a head coach. Most teams don't have that franchise QB though.

Last edited:
I want to like the guy, but I see Gase all over again. Remember, when Gase was a HC candidate it was all sunshine and rainbows, he was an offensive genius, mastermind, etc. The warts only started appearing after his first season as HC.

Has McDaniel ever coached defense? I haven’t read the rest of the comments in the thread yet. I think we need a well rounded HC… McDaniel might be the guy, I don’t know, but he doesn’t have much experience, and im not sure we’re in the position the “lose” a couple of years where he’s still the beginning of a learning curve.
The Gase reference is a lazy argument.

Why not compare him to McVay? Did McVay ever coach defense?

Research the guy and form your own opinion.

I remember laughing at that hire myself... If the guy understood one thing, its overkill the skill players on offense and reap rewards. Its been 20+ years since someone on the Fins tried that.
Getting Burrow, Chase and some nice FA’s doesn’t hurt.

I haven’t heard one quality about Taylor, but who knows?

There was a time when if you got McVay coffee you were a hot HC candidate

he is a lot more likeable and more creative than gase ever was

Back
Top Bottom