Interview With New Hc Flores | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interview With New Hc Flores

Most of these coaching introductions are the same coach-speak, and he ticked most of the boxes. But … he did not tick all of the boxes, and I hope it doesn't start him off on the wrong foot.

I applaud that he praised his former players at the Patriots, and IMHO he should have also mentioned his former coaches as well. I'm glad he praised Robert Kraft, because that's the respectful thing to do. I'm glad he already praised his current players at the Dolphins. But … he really should have praised Steven Ross. Billionaires who spend their fortunes on football teams and don't get a ton of praise, really expect to be respected at moments like this. He never once mentioned or praised Ross … and I'm hoping he corrects that in the rest of his press meetings.

Similarly, new coaches typically praise the front office, and while I'm sure that's not an issue because he was hired by his good friend Chris Grier, Flores really should have praised Chris Grier as well. At the end of the day, I'm sure Grier isn't upset or offended by it … but a billionaire owner … might be. Tread lightly there. Gase reportedly disrespected Ross and was soon after fired. When you go out of you way to praise everyone including "the people who clean the building" and you don't praise the owner entrusting you with his billion dollar investment … it can ruffle feathers.

Additionally, he was led down a path by Congemi when Flores said "like you said, there are only 32 of these jobs in the world." But, IMHO, he should have referenced the Miami Dolphins traditions, maybe tipped his cap to some of our great players (Marino, Csonka, Taylor, etc.), coach (Shula), or accomplishments (Perfect Season). At least make it appear to the casual fan that you know all about the Miami Dolphins, rather than just that they were the only people who called. I'm sure he knows all of that, but he should have mentioned it somewhere in there.

Hopefully he can refine this for the next interview.

Seems like a decent guy. Not very charismatic and he doesn't exactly exude confidence, but it's early.

I will say that I like Flores better than Gase already... but I will miss his googly eyes.

This guy isn't exactly dripping with charisma but he's done alright for himself.

bill-belichick6.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread, this isn’t all that different from the approach that led Gase and Philbin to jettison talented players because they had egos. It sounds great to say we want selfless players, not selfish players... it’s the Patriot Way... but it’s much more difficult to pull off without the backing of a handful of super bowl rings to keep the player ego in check.

The fact is that most of your most talented players will have massivee egos and will have a more selfish mentality as a result. So will Flores ship them off like Gase and Philbin did leaving a massive black hole void of talent on the roster?

Most Patriot Way guys try to bring this mentality to their new team, but it hasn’t worked yet outside of NE and away from BB. It’s what led McDaniels to trade Cutler in Denver and alienate his entire team.

I've played on winning teams and losing teams. It's easier to buy in when players have faith in the system

How can you not like this guy. I'm sold. Give him time, give him the opportunity to put his vision in place. Get his QB and we will have selfless team. Very refreshing.

Did Grier buy his suit and shirt a JC Penny’s on the way to the press conference? It fits like Tom Hanks in the movie Big.

Most of these coaching introductions are the same coach-speak, and he ticked most of the boxes. But … he did not tick all of the boxes, and I hope it doesn't start him off on the wrong foot.

I applaud that he praised his former players at the Patriots, and IMHO he should have also mentioned his former coaches as well. I'm glad he praised Robert Kraft, because that's the respectful thing to do. I'm glad he already praised his current players at the Dolphins. But … he really should have praised Steven Ross. Billionaires who spend their fortunes on football teams and don't get a ton of praise, really expect to be respected at moments like this. He never once mentioned or praised Ross … and I'm hoping he corrects that in the rest of his press meetings.

Similarly, new coaches typically praise the front office, and while I'm sure that's not an issue because he was hired by his good friend Chris Grier, Flores really should have praised Chris Grier as well. At the end of the day, I'm sure Grier isn't upset or offended by it … but a billionaire owner … might be. Tread lightly there. Gase reportedly disrespected Ross and was soon after fired. When you go out of you way to praise everyone including "the people who clean the building" and you don't praise the owner entrusting you with his billion dollar investment … it can ruffle feathers.

Additionally, he was led down a path by Congemi when Flores said "like you said, there are only 32 of these jobs in the world." But, IMHO, he should have referenced the Miami Dolphins traditions, maybe tipped his cap to some of our great players (Marino, Csonka, Taylor, etc.), coach (Shula), or accomplishments (Perfect Season). At least make it appear to the casual fan that you know all about the Miami Dolphins, rather than just that they were the only people who called. I'm sure he knows all of that, but he should have mentioned it somewhere in there.

Hopefully he can refine this for the next interview.
I agree he should have mentioned Ross. I didn’t take the “there’s only 32” thing the way some did. He said “as you said there’s only 32” and then went on to say “to coach the Miami Dolphins is a dream come true / this is a great organization with a great history and great fan base”. So I thought he hit the points - it would have come across more sincere had he done the things you suggested such as saying, “as a kid I remember the undefeated season coach Shula etc”. But I don’t think he bombed it.

Looks like WalterFootball gave Miami a D grade for the hire. He goes on to say how all the Patriot assistants go on to suck as head coaches elsewhere.

His grade should be “incomplete” if he’s basing Flores’ chances off what has happened to other NE coaches in the past.

I love Walter Football for a place to have centralized draft info but the guy hates the Fins with a passion

I really do believe Richard would have been the best hire longterm for this team, but let's see where this goes.

He does have some positives that a lot of us really didn't know of going into this process. His work with the Pats D this year is a major feather in his cap considering how it improved so much from last year with no real personnel changes.

Back
Top Bottom