Is 10-7 A Successful Season for 2021? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is 10-7 A Successful Season for 2021?

We weren't competitive last season?

Yes we were to a point but when the time came to stand up and be counted we folded like a deck of cards. That's not the end of the world though because we were ahead of schedule. We can't take a step back though in 2021.

Yes we were to a point but when the time came to stand up and be counted we folded like a deck of cards. That's not the end of the world though because we were ahead of schedule. We can't take a step back though in 2021.

Last i recall we weren't even supposed to have any fight last season. No chance at all at a playoff spot! Yet?

Would 10 wins be a successful season?

Maybe.

Tell me how many games you think we'd win if Tua got hurt in week 2. How many games would we win if our already thin pass rush were to lose Ogbah?

X led the league in INTs... what happens when he regresses a bit to good, but not great levels?

I think the question is too narrow to answer.

Last i recall we weren't even supposed to have any fight last season. No chance at all at a playoff spot! Yet?

Didn't I just say we were ahead ? This isn't a thread to pat us on the back for last year, it's about our record for this year.

Would 10 wins be a successful season?

Maybe.

Tell me how many games you think we'd win if Tua got hurt in week 2. How many games would we win if our already thin pass rush were to lose Ogbah?

X led the league in INTs... what happens when he regresses a bit to good, but not great levels?

I think the question is too narrow to answer.

Well hopefully we have a team that's improved across the board. That way, if and when Howard isn't as spectacular, we have others that can step up.

Team ball is the only way!

Well, for me I think it's more about continued improvement. Of course, I'd love to see Miami make the playoffs and I think that should be the goal.

But, I want to see Tua take a significant step and the Miami offense holding it's own. If that happens, playoffs could follow.

The dolphins style of play needs to change a little, they need to be more physical on offense, a slot Wr and a sledge hammer RB and a Bic pen to cut anybody that doesn't block,(Jesse Davis) he's too big to get constantly ran by like that so yes the fins can have the 10-7 season and will be a successful season because they're not regressing.

I keep hearing around and about how winning 10 games and missing the playoffs was a good season but the fact of the matter is that we were 1-3 against teams with a winning record, and we were 9-3 against teams with a bad record. What hurt our chances to miss the playoffs was mainly not winning a single Bills game, but also not winning enough competitive games. Based on how we played against competitive teams there was a 70 chance we would lose. With that said this is normal with teams with a rookie qb for the most part. We must get better as a team, and develop our qb. Blatantly adding weapons isn't enough, qb is the hardest position to play, and Tua struggle under certain situations as much as he shined in others. To give Tua the benefit of the doubt, he wasn't 100 pct. We are expecting big from him now.
I agree that last season's 10-6 record and just missing the playoffs was a mirage... they weren't that good. What made them look good early in the season was a defense that forced turnovers, giving the offense a short field. Take away those turnovers (pun intended), and the defense was probably below average. On offense, they had 3 rookies on the o-line, no power RB, and not enough yards after the catch with the WRs and TEs. Fitz did his thing (surprisingly, more Magic than Tragic considering what he had to work with IMO), and Tua was decent for a game or two but overall was not impressive.

IMO, last year's 10-6 record was an undeserved success. For this upcoming season, I would consider 10-7 a success IF: the o-line is greatly improved, they have a consistently strong running game, WRs do better and get more yards after the catch, they not only beat bad teams but also have a winning record against good teams, and Tua looks like (or starts to look like) a winning franchise QB.

However, if they end up around .500 or worse with Tua and the offense still struggling, then something drastic needs to be done. I've always thought that while Grier does a good job wheeling and dealing, he sucks at the actual drafting of players who will make the team better. With a lot of early picks over several drafts Grier has the chance to quickly turn them into a playoff-caliber team, so if those players don't transform this team into a contender then Grier has totally screwed the Fins. I hate watching Miami lose so many games over so many years. Personally, I think that Ross made a huge mistake (again!) by keeping Grier and NEVER completely cleaning house. That said, if Tua and the offense starts putting up 30 points per game and can run the ball down an opponent's throat, then I'll admit I was wrong. Unfortunately, I think the odds are greater that Grier's draft picks will prove to be JAGs or busts rather than difference-makers.

The problem with an 8 or 9 win season is that it means either: 1) Tua is the same or worse; or 2) Tua is better and other areas have severely regressed.

Do we make the playoffs? Do we choke in key moments in key games? Do we get our butts handed to us in a win and we're in situation?

This team and Flores has only proved so much. We had a chance to upset KC last year and we called a baffling defense that let KC get free first downs to end the game. We had a win and we're in scenario and air would have played a better football game against Buffalo. Right now we're at Joe Philbin levels of achievement. We're mediocre. If we do just enough to be the first or second team left out of the playoffs again that's a failure.

The problem with an 8 or 9 win season is that it means either: 1) Tua is the same or worse; or 2) Tua is better and other areas have severely regressed.
Realistically, the defense is almost assured to regress. We had an insane amount of sometimes lucky turnovers last year and we had an otherworldly season from X that few DBs have ever reached in this era. We've lost more defensive talent right now than we've added.

I would hate to be 11-6 and miss the playoffs again. And the schedule is truly unbalanced now since Miami drew the should be average giants and their main AFC competition in the chiefs, Steelers, ravens, titans, colts and browns drew Green Bay, Seattle, Rams, Saints, Tampa, and Arizona respectively lol

You are now at the point where you need to have a winning record. Three years in to a complete gut job and you should be winning constantly, you have the talent and draft capital to be a successful franchise, now go execute and win.

Back
Top Bottom