Is Belichick Best Coach Ever? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Belichick Best Coach Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Belichick is the best coach of all time. Colostomy Bag is completely right here and its not even a question.

The argument between Shula and Belichek all boils down to this question. Is it harder or easier, to coach an NFL team in the modern era than the 70's 80s etc?

Football had yet to be sterilized and neutered by corporations and mass media in Shula's era of coaching. You could "brute force" your opponent if you had the right personnel. You could outwit them with creative plays that had not been seen before. With schemes that at the time seemed unconventional. It seems like everything nowadays has been done before. The most revolutionary thing we see now is the mobility of the qb which goes in hand to the wildcat or read option. All teams now spend millions of dollars in analytics, hiring of coaching assistants, aids, personal assistants, talent evaluators, replay analysts. Every team has millions to spend on giving them even the slightest advantage when it comes to scouting other teams and coaching your own players.

Bill makes it work. In a tumultuous arena of juggling sponsors, social media outrage, diva players who don't deserve a quarter of what theyre earning...it doesn't matter. Bill Belichek gets his **** done. He's a brilliant coach, but the control of his club is more impressive. I think being a great coach in the new millennium is a greater achievement that what Shula did in his time.

I'd venture to say Bill is the greatest coach of any sport in this country. As a fan of one of his perennial stomping victims, it's hard to look past the poise of his football team. I have a lot of envy for boston'ers, as they are probably the luckiest people in the USA when it comes to sports hardware and legacy. I don't even care he is the coach of a sports rival. Im a sports fan first and foremost, and I can respect and recognize greatness when i see it. Especially after all the contrasting personalities we've had juxtaposed to this great football mind.

Bill Belichick with Tom Brady as starter(224 games)(14 full seasons)
2001-current*minus 15 games in 2008 and 4 games this year)
173-51, 77%
13 division titles
6 AFC titles
4 SB titles
10 title game apps
22-9 playoff record
13 double digit win seasons
ZERO losing seasons
team was 5-11 in 2000 w/o him, started 0-2 in 2001 then finished 11-3 w/ him.

Bill Belichick withOUT Tom Brady as starter(117 games)(7 full seasons+)
1991-1995 Browns
2000/2001(2 games)/2008(15 games)/2016(4 games)
54-63, 46%
ZERO div titles
ZERO AFC titles
ZERO title game apps
1-1 playoff record
2 double digit win seasons
5 losing seasons

I have said it many times before, BB would be a DC somewhere today f not for Brady. That doesn't mean he isn't great, he is an all time great but he's not at the top w/ his poor record w/o Brady and complete failure in Cleveland.

Yes he's fantastic. There's no comparison when you see how prepared for opponents the Patriots are. They force you to beat them physically because they're going to limit mistakes and feast on yours. Sometimes I wonder why NFL teams aren't built from smarts first than ability. If you limit mental mistakes and force teams to beat you physically you'll win a **** ton of games in today's league. There are a lot of talented mistake prone teams out there IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have respect for Shula and Belichek in different ways. Won't get into it because it doesn't really matter. I think Belichek is the best currently and I don't think Shula would do as well in modern days.

solid YES; consider that his team was a play away from winning at least 2 more SB's.. ya gotta use the "D" word for him (Dynasty)

solid YES; consider that his team was a play away from winning at least 2 more SB's.. ya gotta use the "D" word for him (Dynasty)

the 2 they lost his Ds blew late game leads and din't give Brady enough time to save them while the first 2 SBs they won they blew late leads and gave Brady enough time which was why they won.

Maybe he is. I'd choose one of the others, but that's likely because I'm biased against cheaters.

Bill Belichick with Tom Brady as starter(224 games)(14 full seasons)
2001-current*minus 15 games in 2008 and 4 games this year)
173-51, 77%
13 division titles
6 AFC titles
4 SB titles
10 title game apps
22-9 playoff record
13 double digit win seasons
ZERO losing seasons
team was 5-11 in 2000 w/o him, started 0-2 in 2001 then finished 11-3 w/ him.

Bill Belichick withOUT Tom Brady as starter(117 games)(7 full seasons+)
1991-1995 Browns
2000/2001(2 games)/2008(15 games)/2016(4 games)
54-63, 46%
ZERO div titles
ZERO AFC titles
ZERO title game apps
1-1 playoff record
2 double digit win seasons
5 losing seasons

I have said it many times before, BB would be a DC somewhere today f not for Brady. That doesn't mean he isn't great, he is an all time great but he's not at the top w/ his poor record w/o Brady and complete failure in Cleveland.

And dont discount his Owner who actually owns the NFL

I will say Belichick got bailed out by Russel Wilson's int. in the last SB he won. He should've been calling timeouts to save time for Brady to come back

It was Belichick who rightly ID'd Seattle's red zone offense and made the perfect defensive call* for the INT. Also Belichick didn't call a TO b/c he didn't want to give Seattle the opportunity to sub in their goalline offense.

*In fact Bill O'Brien tried this exact offensive play vs the Patriots a few weeks ago. NE called it the same, the DB broke on the pass, but dropped the INT.

It was Belichick who rightly ID'd Seattle's red zone offense and made the perfect defensive call* for the INT. Also Belichick didn't call a TO b/c he didn't want to give Seattle the opportunity to sub in their goalline offense.

*In fact Bill O'Brien tried this exact offensive play vs the Patriots a few weeks ago. NE called it the same, the DB broke on the pass, but dropped the INT.

why wasn't he making the right calls to allow them to get to the 1 yard line? he was fortunate Sea didn't run it or his D's would have blown a third SB.

no.

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

this. Marino played with 1 HOF player - Dwight Stephenson - and they didn't play together for long as Dwight had his career cut short. Had they drafted better perhaps they would have gotten some rings. The problem was partly they could never get a good draft slot as the team always won more games than it should have due to having Dan and Don.

That is literally all Shula's fault. Furthermore, The NFC powerhouses during the era had no problem maintaining their status while drafting deeper in the draft. Hell the Bills made 4 super bowls drafting second to last 4 straight years. Anymore excuses?

Welp this is where we're at after 5 games, arguing a current rival HOF coach who's still dominating vs a previous Dolphin HOF coach who retired over 20 years go. Yay LOLphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom