Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect?

Whoever wrote that article or whatever obviously is not very knowlegable about the Dolphins and who's in charge.

inFINSible said:
Why would Rick be giving a quote if Saban was there?

So, if Saban wasn't there. then Crowder was scouted and recomended by Rick Speilman. I know Saban has last say and knew Channing well but, this is still a little interesting.

Crowder is a wild man like Bua and Pope from last year. Except for his size he's exactly the kind of LBer Rick seemed to like.

Does that change your opinion about Crowder?

This doesn't change my views or opinions of Crowder, I watched him play for the Gators during his years there and he is very talented and smart on the field when he is healthy. Key Phrase "when he is healthy" I'm not worried at all about his ability and I do believe he will come in and contribute almost immediately. Let's just hope so....:D

Spielman is a great talent evalutator??! What on GOD"s green Earth gives you even the slightest reason for saying that??! Dam..Some people need to go back to last year and relive Spoilman's Follies. It's like a highlight reel..One after the other...

BringBackShula said:
Doesn"t Even Matter! Saban Picked Him. And I"m Sure He Could Have Made That Decision All By Himself And Didn"t Need Spoilman For Anything. STOP REACHING! SPoilman isn't worth a dam thing.:shakeno:

Don't you ever get embarassed by your posts?

BringBackShula said:
Spielman is a great talent evalutator??! What on GOD"s green Earth gives you even the slightest reason for saying that??! Dam..Some people need to go back to last year and relive Spoilman's Follies. It's like a highlight reel..One after the other...
Your problem is that you go back and relive it too often....It's called resentment, and you're full of it. So full of it, that your objectivity is completely lost.

inFINSible said:
Ahhh....denial. I see.

So if Saban knew him so well, why did he send Rick to scout the Florida pro day? Seems like a waste of time and money if you're already going to choose the guy.

I dont understand what you mean..

Why would he not attend the pro day? They attended just about every pro day there was. I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Crowder was a player that was projected to go in the late 1st, early 2nd. He fell to them in the third, and Saban thought that that was great "value," so he took him. Thats all. Dont make me break out the pissing monkeys.

finsnchips said:
Either way we got a hell of a footballer.

Saban is a great HC and Spielman is a great talent evaluator.

Rick may well have scouted him closely, but Saban saw him up close and personal.

I was thinking the same exact thing. Rick could scout him as much as he wants and he wouldn't get the same out of it that Nick did seeing him up close and personal in game situations.. LSU had a pretty decent team and Crowder shut them down.. that's call Nick needed to see... I am an FSU fan and I love the Crowder pick..

Jnaledu3 said:
I dont understand what you mean..

Why would he not attend the pro day? They attended just about every pro day there was. I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Crowder was a player that was projected to go in the late 1st, early 2nd. He fell to them in the third, and Saban thought that that was great "value," so he took him. Thats all. Dont make me break out the pissing monkeys.
if Saban was already going to choose Crowder because he knew him so well then I assume he knew every other Gator that was draftable too...So, again why did he need to send Rick down there?

Maybe he wanted to test Rick to see if they came to the same conclusions??

What about the fact that Saban wanted Webster in the third and had to "settle" for Crowder?

Those points seems like they might help your case better than pissing monkeys but hey, be my guest, and go with what you know.

Does it change my thoughts on Crowder? Nope not at all. He was a steal.

Does it change my thoughts on Spielman? Nope...and I doubt it will change anybody's thoughts as well. The people who hate Rick will always hate him no matter what, those who think he's a good talent evaluator will continue to think so.

finsnchips said:
Saban is a great HC and Spielman is a great talent evaluator.

Another person on this thread makes this claim...where in the heck are you guys getting this from? I completely don't agree that Spielman is particularly good at talent evaluation. He's done nothing but sub-par work in that area for the last 5 or 6 years, so seriously- how can you guys legitimately make this claim? I hope you aren't going to use the "Wannstedt overruled him on every pick" approach. Sure, Wannstedt probably did at times, but unless you are going to tell me that Wannstedt overruled Spielman on every single pick, I see no evidence of anything other than somewhat below average to below average talent evaluation skills. But please, show me where I'm wrong. :-)

Had to weigh in.

Who give's a horse's *** who's pick this was? We got one hell of a player who has Pro Bowl potential in a year or two. Take this from a certifiable Gator Hater (Go Canes).

I know it's the offeseason and there's not much to talk about, but damn!!

inFINSible said:
Why would Rick be giving a quote if Saban was there?

So, if Saban wasn't there. then Crowder was scouted and recomended by Rick Speilman. I know Saban has last say and knew Channing well but, this is still a little interesting.

Crowder is a wild man like Bua and Pope from last year. Except for his size he's exactly the kind of LBer Rick seemed to like.

Does that change your opinion about Crowder?

I would tend to think Saban sent Rick to be there just as a followup to his own convictions.

Based on who was selected, they were all players Saban was VERY familar with.

Channing Crowder was no secret, especially throughtout the SEC, Sabans teams went against Florida a few times, he knew what a steal Crowder was in the third round.

I would have a hard time accepting that Crowder was not somebody high on Sabans radar already and that Rick made this scouting trip and talked him into the pick......No.

Dubfire said:
Had to weigh in.

Who give's a horse's *** who's pick this was? We got one hell of a player who has Pro Bowl potential in a year or two. Take this from a certifiable Gator Hater (Go Canes).

I know it's the offeseason and there's not much to talk about, but damn!!
There are some people who DO give a damn whether this was Rick's choice or not?

I'm not one of them but, who the he// are you to say what we should and shouldn't be talking about??

Houck was able to choose Alabi..So.....Is it out of the realm of possibility that this is the guy that Rick was allowed to choose? No it's not.

If you don't want to discuss it, you didn't "have to weigh in".

Regardless of whos choice it was, you know if the Pats picked Crowder at 32 the media would've raved about it. I can picture ESPN saying how they got the steal of the draft by getting the best ILB with the last pick in the first round, saying how they need someone to take Bruschi's place and how hes the perfect fit...come on you all know it.

BlueFin said:
I would tend to think Saban sent Rick to be there just as a followup to his own convictions.

Based on who was selected, they were all players Saban was VERY familar with.

Channing Crowder was no secret, especially throughtout the SEC, Sabans teams went against Florida a few times, he knew what a steal Crowder was in the third round.

I would have a hard time accepting that Crowder was not somebody high on Sabans radar already and that Rick made this scouting trip and talked him into the pick......No.
I think I read somewhere that Saban allowed those around him to make a single recomendation of a specifc player...

I know Houck wanted Alabi.

This could have been the player that Rick wanted.

As we know, Crowder wasn't Saban's first choice in the third round....he wanted Webster.

Back
Top Bottom