Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect?

I'm not sure you guys understand. Rick Spielman was/is our GM, Saban just has final say over personel. You can bet your *** that the picks were as much Spielmans effort as it was Sabans.

inFINSible said:
Excellent post. Very reasonable....Sounds like you think that everyone was involved in every pick then, correct?

I think every department was involved in every pick. I don't know that Will Muschamps had input on picking Alabi, for instance, but the relevant coaching staff surely would have had input as to each candidate at some level of putting the chart together.

He has had several injuries and had bad character problems so yes I would agree that Crowder fits into the type of players that Speilman likes to draft.:evil:.It seems great potential is more impoortant to him that great risk.

jjizzim said:
people like you give spielman a bad rap. he is a excellent talent evaluator. Randy mcmicheal, sam madison jason taylor zach thomas, patrick sertain. All players drafted in mid to later rounds. How many GM's can you say got the best players on thier teams in rounds other than the first. Yea some mistakes were made with early round picks but it happens. What I don't think he is good at is negotiation tactics. If he is strictly assigned to scouting talent and saban does the negotiating then I'm cool with that.

Spielman had nothing to do with Madison, Taylor, Zach or Surtain, how long have you been a Finfan?

touborg said:
I'm not sure you guys understand. Rick Spielman was/is our GM, Saban just has final say over personel. You can bet your *** that the picks were as much Spielmans effort as it was Sabans.

Tht title means squat now, and he won't have it much longer, this was Sabans draft, not Rick Spielmans....some of you guys amaze me.

BlueFin said:
I don't agree, the first four picks were all Saban players, they all had some connection to Saban, I think he and he alone made those selections.
Of course, that doesn't make it true.

As far as last years draft, I don't think Saban would have selected Carey where Spielman did, if at all, he was not a value pick where we took him, there were higher rated players on the board than Carey.
I agree, that Saban wouldn't have taken Carey.....unless of course saban was under a "win now" edict....and if that was the case, neither you or I know what Saban would have done.

The Will Poole pick was a lot like the Crowder pick this year, a very good player that slipped, as far as the rest of last years draft I hardly think we can label any of it a success yet, other than special teams I doubt we got any future starters out of it.
Carey is a future starter, Hadnot already has been a starter, Pope has started and played well in his only opportunity and Bua has the mentality and size to make a fearsome strong safety. That's 5 possible starters out of 6 picks.

Rick Spielman has proven nothing to me as a talent evaluator, it was him that thought enough of the talent of AJ Feeley and Lamar Gordon to give up the 35th pick and 64th pick, clearly as prospects they were not worth that value.
being under a "win now" edict clearly indicates that Speilman thought he was working with the 64th pick and the 96th pick, in which case both players more closely align with those values or better.

Some of you want to defend his poor decisions of the last five years, it really doesn't matter because I suspect he won't be here much longer, and that will speak volumes.

And some of you have said so many times that Speilman will be fired, that you can't possibly look at this with any semblance of objectivity due to the fear that you may be wrong.

CrunchTime said:
He has had several injuries and had bad character problems so yes I would agree that Crowder fits into the type of players that Speilman likes to draft.:evil:
That joke wasn't funny the first time it was used in this thread. It hasn't gotten any better with age.

sorry guys, Spielman is a known quality talent evaluator, and leave it to Nick to utilize his resources, at least while they're here-extending an olive branch to Ricky would be the obvious and painful example-without regard to past failures-also Sporting News had Crowder as Round 1 prospect so......all we have after last year is hope...and hoping is coping

BlueFin said:
Tht title means squat now, and he won't have it much longer, this was Sabans draft, not Rick Spielmans....some of you guys amaze me.

This denial is really getting ugly. Saban is a coach, not a scout. Obviously he's had experience with players through his game, but it's Spielman and the scouting department that spend all day evaluating talent. If you believe that Saban just rode in there and disregarded everything Spielman and the scouting department have been doing for the last year, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Listen, I don't like the Wanny regime either, but jesus, cut the denial.

inFINSible said:
So, if Saban wasn't there. then Crowder was scouted and recomended by Rick Speilman.

Not sure why you would automatically think that he was recommended by Rick. Saban more likely knew of Crowder's abilities and merely sent Rick on a goose chase to evaluate HIS evaluation skills.
;)

I think that Speilman's decisions last season would have been value decisions(trades and the draft) had the circumstances allowed it. It seems to me that SPeilman was caught in the middle of Wannstedts urgency and Huizengas "win now or pack up" demands.

Superself said:
Not sure why you would automatically think that he was recommended by Rick. Saban more likely knew of Crowder's abilities and merely sent Rick on a goose chase to evaluate HIS evaluation skills.
;)
You may be wrong but, you may be right. :)

FiN.in.RI said:
If you look at it objectively you can see that Speilman got a raw deal and is being made a scapegoat for Wanny.
By the fans, right?

touborg said:

"Just has final say" is a VERY l i g h t way of putting it wouldn't you say?

Back
Top Bottom