Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect?

EightyTwenty said:
I wasn't asking if he did a good job coaching the team, I asked what exactly he's done in his GM/Personnel position that causes various people on this board to feel like he's talented. Does that clarify the question so you understand it better?

So tell me, what are all these things (and you must be able to name some based on your responses here) that he did/accomplished during his 5 or whatever years as GM/Personnel Director with the Dolphins or Bears that you find are indicative of him being talented?

Seriously- show me some examples.

If it was up to Rick we'd have had, Trent Green, Drew Brees and Anquan Boldin on the team...The only season where I can truly say that Rick was fully responsible for personell decisons which was last year all 6 draft picks made the Miami Dolphins team in some way.

He found a young QB with with upside....he got us a Pro Bowl WR and a young RB with upside for O-Gun, when everybody and their mother knew we HAD TO let him go.

The fact that he didn't trade O-Gun for quick fix veterans tells me that he at least kept the future of the franchise in mind while he was trying to save the Dolphins from further embarassment after almost drowning in a SEA of offseason issues.

Is rick the end all be all of talent evaluators? Probably not but, the jury is still out and I think there are more than enough redeeming qualities that he should be allowed to keep functioning in his current capacity. I think that one day he's going to be a good GM in this league. He's not a stupid guy and he will learn from his mistakes just like most everyone else. He's certainly in no position to hurt this franchise in anyway and his only possible path is towards becoming an asset especially working hand in hand with someone like Nick Saban instead of someone like dave wannstedt.

inFINSible said:
If it was up to Rick we'd have had, Trent Green, Drew Brees and Anquan Boldin on the team...The only season where I can truly say that Rick was fully responsible for personell decisons which was last year all 6 draft picks made the Miami Dolphins team in some way.

He found a young QB with with upside....he got us a Pro Bowl WR and a young RB with upside for O-Gun, when everybody and their mother knew we HAD TO let him go.

The fact that he didn't trade O-Gun for quick fix veterans tells me that he at least kept the future of the franchise in mind while he was trying to save the Dolphins from further embarassment after almost drowning in a SEA of offseason issues.

Is rick the end all be all of talent evaluators? Probably not but, the jury is still out and I think there are more than enough redeemable qualities that he should be allowed to keep functioning in his current capacity. I think that one day he's going to be a good GM in this league. He's not a stupid guy and he will learn from his mistakes just like most everyone else. He's certainly in no position to hurt this franchise in anyway and his only possible path is towards becoming an asset especially working hand in hand with someone like Nick Saban instead of someone like dave wannstedt.

Ok, fair enough- you make some valid points. I agree that it's certainly possible he may have potential, and if he's allowed to stay and have Saban mentor him, he may one day be better than average. My only point, (and hey- I could be wrong) is that from what I've seen of the job he's done over the last 6-7 years, when taken in totality, and when I weigh the good decisions versus the bad, does not really seem to be very impressive. It is true however that Wannstedt may have really been dragging him down and holding him back, but I'm not sure we'll ever know how much or to what extent...

EightyTwenty said:
Ok, fair enough- you make some valid points. I agree that it's certainly possible he may have potential, and if he's allowed to stay and have Saban mentor him, he may one day be better than average. My only point, (and hey- I could be wrong) is that from what I've seen of the job he's done over the last 6-7 years, when taken in totality, and when I weigh the good decisions versus the bad, does not really seem to be very impressive. It is true however that Wannstedt may have really been dragging him down and holding him back, but I'm not sure we'll ever know how much or to what extent...
That's the sad part for all of us but, especially for him....Who really knows how much Wanny destroyed everything they colaborated on? I wish I did, because I may be comletely wrong myself....:)

I do know this, Speilman had a good draft last year, that's all I can base it on..he's defintely good at finding players on the 2nd day of drafts. I've loved the talent he's brought, you guys rave about bua, pope, poole, and hadnot all the time. Carey held his own when allowed to play..I don't know why Wanny didn't let the guy finish what Spielman started. It's funny how all you guys were singing Speilman's praise when he gutted the OL, when we thought we'd get Woody and Tait, but then they got overpaid, I give Speilman credit for not playing that game to cap hell for us. So he had to go to plan B, starting fresh with our O..younger, faster, inexperience last year, sets us up this year. He had to do it, our OL was getting too old.

Let's see, this franchise has been in urgent need at QB and OL for a half dozen years or more. Spielman's saviors in that regard have been the likes of A.J. Feeley, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Wade Smith, Damion McIntosh and Rex Hadnot. Now I see where all the "greats" and "excellents" in regard to his talent evaluation stem from!

Spielman's apologists are an amazing lot. Undaunted by base criteria such as plummeting talent level during his tenure. A remarkable feat, when you combine it with sacrificed future draft picks and salary cap woes.

MDFINFAN said:
I do know this, Speilman had a good draft last year, that's all I can base it on..he's defintely good at finding players on the 2nd day of drafts. I've loved the talent he's brought, you guys rave about bua, pope, poole, and hadnot all the time. Carey held his own when allowed to play..I don't know why Wanny didn't let the guy finish what Spielman started. It's funny how all you guys were singing Speilman's praise when he gutted the OL, when we thought we'd get Woody and Tait, but then they got overpaid, I give Speilman credit for not playing that game to cap hell for us. So he had to go to plan B, starting fresh with our O..younger, faster, inexperience last year, sets us up this year. He had to do it, our OL was getting too old.

You call that a good draft? Go no farther than Sabans 2005 draft to see what a good draft looks like.......last year was not one.

Awsi Dooger said:
Let's see, this franchise has been in urgent need at QB and OL for a half dozen years or more. Spielman's saviors in that regard have been the likes of A.J. Feeley, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Wade Smith, Damion McIntosh and Rex Hadnot. Now I see where all the "greats" and "excellents" in regard to his talent evaluation stem from!

Spielman's apologists are an amazing lot. Undaunted by base criteria such as plummeting talent level during his tenure. A remarkable feat, when you combine it with sacrificed future draft picks and salary cap woes.

Indeed.........and its funny some want to credit him for Sabans draft choices and completely absolve him of the choices during Wannys tenure.

BlueFin said:
You call that a good draft? Go no farther than Sabans 2005 draft to see what a good draft looks like.......last year was not one.

last year's draft was good for the system that was in place.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
last year's draft was good for the system that was in place.

Well, I don't agree Dupree........Spielman was stripped of power and isn't likely to get it anywhere else either..........so it must not have been viewed as great one.

BlueFin said:
Well, I don't agree Dupree........Spielman was stripped of power and isn't likely to get it anywhere else either..........so it must not have been viewed as great one.

well then you are biased against Rick Spielman. Not very many teams have every pick make a team.

Spielman will get another shot at being a GM.

inFINSible said:
Why would Rick be giving a quote if Saban was there?

So, if Saban wasn't there. then Crowder was scouted and recomended by Rick Speilman. I know Saban has last say and knew Channing well but, this is still a little interesting.

Crowder is a wild man like Bua and Pope from last year. Except for his size he's exactly the kind of LBer Rick seemed to like.

Does that change your opinion about Crowder?

Just because Saban didn't see the guy in person means nothing...Speilman scouted the guy and put his report in Saban's preferred format as to what the guy could and could not do, what is personality was like, what his weaknesses and strengths were, etc...Speilman was looking at Crowder thru Saban's eyes, or he wouldn't have been drafted.

Back
Top Bottom