Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Speilman prospect?

Speilman's contract is up for re-negotiations now.Obviously he will not be getting GM money anymore.Its my guess that he will be nudged aside or given a face saving opportunity to leave ala Jim Bates . IMO Saban's wants his own man on the job and not be saddled with someone who has direct access to Wayne H.I would feel uncomfortable knowing my underling has direct access to the owner.

CrunchTime said:
Speilman's contract is up for re-negotiations now.Obviously he will not be getting GM money anymore.Its my guess that he will be nudged aside or given a face saving opportunity to leave ala Jim Bates . IMO Saban's wants his own man on the job and not be saddled with someone who has direct access to Wayne H.I would feel uncomfortable knowing my underling has direct access to the owner.

I look at it as they are both professionals. If Nick Saban is the guy he is supposed to be then it is a huge opportunity for Spielman to help his reputation among the league to work with that man. Especially after the whole wansteadt thing and being part of last season. If Spielman is let go he will go somewhere, where he will get another chance.

CrunchTime said:
That's the difference between being confident in your own abilities and being fearful that somebody is better than you. As far as I can tell Saban has gone out and hired the best people he can find to fill positions on this coaching staff, even people with far more NFL coaching experience than he has so, it doesn't sound like he'd be the type to be afraid to keep Rick Speilman if he decides that Rick is the best person for the job.....and to carry it one step farther, if he did dismiss Rick for reasons as petty as you bring up, then he's probably not the kind of guy we all think he is.

inFINSible said:
That's the difference between being confident in your own abilities and being fearful that somebody is better than you. As far as I can tell Saban has gone out and hired the best people he can find to fill positions on this coaching staff, even people with far more NFL coaching experience than he has so, it doesn't sound like he'd be the type to be afraid to keep Rick Speilman if he decides that Rick is the best person for the job.....and to carry it one step farther, if he did dismiss Rick for reasons as petty as you bring up, then he's probably not the kind of guy we all think he is.

The first part of your post is absolutely correct:

"That's the difference between being confident in your own abilities and being fearful that somebody is better than you. As far as I can tell Saban has gone out and hired the best people he can find to fill positions on this coaching staff, even people with far more NFL coaching experience than he has so, it doesn't sound like he'd be the type to be afraid to keep Rick Speilman if he decides that Rick is the best person for the job....."

So if he does let him go, knowing what we know from Saban's time here as detailed above so well by you, we can only assume either Saban doesn't hold a high opinion of Spielman, or, Spielman thinks in his own mind he's too good now to be an underling and is unwilling to take a pay cut appropriate to the limited level of responsibility he would hold. If he stays then Saban must think he has some value to him as an assistant.

Either way, Rick Spielman is not really very relevent here anymore, the decision maker is Saban, he is the one who will take the blame for poor drafting and he is the one who should be credited for improved drafting as we saw in this most recent draft, perhaps one of our best ever.

BlueFin said:
The first part of your post is absolutely correct:

"That's the difference between being confident in your own abilities and being fearful that somebody is better than you. As far as I can tell Saban has gone out and hired the best people he can find to fill positions on this coaching staff, even people with far more NFL coaching experience than he has so, it doesn't sound like he'd be the type to be afraid to keep Rick Speilman if he decides that Rick is the best person for the job....."

So if he does let him go, knowing what we know from Saban's time here as detailed above so well by you, we can only assume either Saban doesn't hold a high opinion of Spielman, or, Spielman thinks in his own mind he's too good now to be an underling and is unwilling to take a pay cut appropriate to the limited level of responsibility he would hold. If he stays then Saban must think he has some value to him as an assistant.

Either way, Rick Spielman is not really very relevent here anymore, the decision maker is Saban, he is the one who will take the blame for poor drafting and he is the one who should be credited for improved drafting as we saw in this most recent draft, perhaps one of our best ever.

You know what, when you start make intimations that last years draft was sub par, I lose all interest in even discussing this with you because it's obvious that you are not being honest.

And then to turn around and call this our best draft ever, before one player has even stepped on the field, it's obvious that you aren't above stretching the truth beyond it's bounds.

So, I say to myself, what good is it going to do me to continue to discuss this with someone who would lie and exagerate to prove their point?

And then I think, it wouldn't do me any good at all.

inFINSible said:
You know what, when you start make intimations that last years draft was sub par, I lose all interest in even discussing this with you because it's obvious that you are not being honest.

And then to turn around and call this our best draft ever, before one player has even stepped on the field, it's obvious that you aren't above stretching the truth beyond it's bounds.

So, I say to myself, what good is it going to do me to continue to discuss this with someone who would lie and exagerate to prove their point?

And then I think, it wouldn't do me any good at all.

An evaluation of a draft is subjective, even last years cannot fully be evaluated yet, however past Dolphin drafts can be and the general opinion is that the Dolphins have not drafted well as a whole, taken on the surface, based on the value of the players we drafted this year this was a very good draft. The best first day I remember, at least directly following the draft.

You want to call me a liar? Real classy Infins. A review of the post shows no such statement made by myself, only that as observed by nearly every observer and expert that grades such things, this was the best graded draft at least immediately following a particular draft that we've seen here in quite some time. And where did you get "calling it the best draft ever" out of "perhaps one of our best drafts ever"? Who's being dishonest?

If that hurts your feelings or your argument for your support of Rick Spielman thats just too bad....run away like you always do when your losing an argument.

I think the quality of a draft class is in the eye of the beholder.

I think this year was awesome... but there are some that could say that Ronnie was a backup at Auburn, Why Roth when we need a QB and have signed Holliday and Carter, and why Crowder with his off the field problems and injuries, why Daniels when our Oline sucks and Brown was available.

finsnchips said:
I think the quality of a draft class is in the eye of the beholder.

I think this year was awesome... but there are some that could say that Ronnie was a backup at Auburn, Why Roth when we need a QB and have signed Holliday and Carter, and why Crowder with his off the field problems and injuries, why Daniels when our Oline sucks and Brown was available.

However, that doesn't change the fact that the draft grades we've received for this draft are higher on average than any draft we've had in some time.....do you dispute that?

Saban readily admits that he didn't have enough picks to fill every position he wanted too. Thanks in part to Rick Spielman.

BlueFin said:
However, that doesn't change the fact that the draft grades we've received for this draft are higher on average than any draft we've had in some time.....do you dispute that?

Saban readily admits that he didn't have enough picks to fill every position he wanted too. Thanks in part to Rick Spielman.
not at all mate... our draft grades are higher this year because, IMO + that of the majority, this is the best draft we've had in years. Definitely the last 4 years in which I've followed American Football.

In two years time I think Brown, Roth, Crowder, Daniels and Alabi will all be starting for us.

BlueFin said:
An evaluation of a draft is subjective, even last years cannot fully be evaluated yet, however past Dolphin drafts can be and the general opinion is that the Dolphins have not drafted well as a whole, taken on the surface, based on the value of the players we drafted this year this was a very good draft. The best first day I remember, at least directly following the draft.

You want to call me a liar? Real classy Infins. A review of the post shows no such statement made by myself, only that as observed by nearly every observer and expert that grades such things, this was the best graded draft at least immediately following a particular draft that we've seen here in quite some time. And where did you get "calling it the best draft ever" out of "perhaps one of our best drafts ever"? Who's being dishonest?

If that hurts your feelings or your argument for your support of Rick Spielman thats just too bad....run away like you always do when your losing an argument.
Case in point....twice in this thread in the last two pages you have judged and convicted last years draft class as inferior. And then you try to turn around and soften that by including it with every other draft because you KNOW you are wrong about last years', and the only way to save face is to lump it in with past drafts and pretend that's what you meant the whole time.

It's crap like that that I finally get sick of dealing with and walk away. I state my case, we get to a point where it just goes back and forth, and I stop it.
Confident that I have made my point and confident enough to let others make their own decisions.

And ......if I never walked away, not a single one of our discussions would have EVER ended, because you damn sure aren't going to let anyone have the last word.

inFINSible said:
Case in point....twice in this thread in the last two pages you have judged and convicted last years draft class as inferior. And then you try to turn around and soften that by including it with every other draft because you KNOW you are wrong about last years', and the only way to save face is to lump it in with past drafts and pretend that's what you meant the whole time.

It's crap like that that I finally get sick of dealing with and walk away. I state my case, we get to a point where it just goes back and forth, and I stop it.
Confident that I have made my point and confident enough to let others make their own decisions.

And ......if I never walked away, not a single one of our discussions would have EVER ended, because you damn sure aren't going to let anyone have the last word.

I agree, last year's draft class was awesome, not by critic's standards, but by their production on the field. Last year, we lost Seau and Zach for extended periods and didn't miss a beat at the LB position thanks to Pope's good play, Moore finally stepped up some too. Even abysugloosjfo (sp) :lol: stepped up...it's been a long time since we had decent backups at LB, it's unfortunate that their size will limit their ability to play for Saban, but their production should be looked at since Saban says that in the end football ability should be the bottom line. Last year's draft and maybe this year, (we don't know they haven't played a snap in the NFL), I 've seen the critics grade other teams as A's in the past and those players didn't work out. I don't think anyone on this board thinks Poole was a burst, Bua has his own video for knocking out 2 players with one hit. Pope filled in for Zach very well and cause people to think Zach's time may be limited. Carey played very well when given the chance, so he's not a bust yet. Most of last year's draft help last year, and were considered pretty good. I hope this draft class does as well, I really thought last year's class was the first class that we could build off of. Hopefully this class continues that. Saban doesn't have a corner on the market of great personnel picks, he share the National Championship and only did that once in his 5 years at LSU, USC is the model in college. NE and Philly in the NFL..time will only tell if Saban joins them. But Speilman is a big part of the last 2 years and should be kept if Saban's ego isn't too ***ile...Speilman adds value to this organization and I hope Saban sees that, I can way up here in Maryland.

inFINSible said:

It has nothing to do confidence in one ability.It has to do with control ,chain of command,speaking with one voice.

If Saban thinks Speilman is of long term value to the org. relative to the baggage he carries he will be kept.Its my guess he wont be.When regimes or businesses change hands it is not unusual to replace top management after a interim period.

BlueFin said:
You call that a good draft? Go no farther than Sabans 2005 draft to see what a good draft looks like.......last year was not one.

They haven't played a snap, can't say what they are yet..a good draft is measured on the field, not the hyped, you're doing what the critic did with R. Leaf before the draft and after he got drafted..let's let them play the game fist before giving them the annointing of being the best draft. As with any draft class, right now, they have potential...let's see if their college product = NFL production. Too soon for me to comment on if they were good, but I have a year to say last year's class was productive, Poole, Hadnot, Carey, Bua, Pope all contributed, and Pape is still apart of the team, now that's production.

CrunchTime said:
It has nothing to do confidence in one ability.It has to do with control ,chain of command,speaking with one voice.

If Saban thinks Speilman is of long term value to the org. relative to the baggage he carries he will be kept.Its my guess he wont be.When regimes or businesses change hands it is not unusual to replace top management after a interim period.

and it's also business like for a company to be sold and the owner become president for the new regime, if that regime is smart..Speilman has current NFL experience, Saban doesn't..his egos in the way if he drops Speilman to me.

Is Channing Crowder a Rick Spielman prospect?

Only someone uninformed would think so...................................

"The rest of the choices were veritable layups. Brown had pounded the LSU defense, and Saban knew how difficult it was to prepare for him. Second-round defensive end Matt Roth of Iowa had played against LSU in this year's Citrus Bowl. Linebacker Channing Crowder of Florida, who had a pair of sacks against LSU this season, had been unsuccessfully wooed by Saban as a high school senior. This time, Saban didn't have to sell Crowder on playing for him. He just had to choose him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2049675

Back
Top Bottom