Is it Fiedler or the OL that is hindering Ricky? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Fiedler or the OL that is hindering Ricky?

Who Is More To Blame For Ricky's Poor Stats

• Fiedler's inability to hit the big play

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • The OL just isn't opening the holes like last year

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Ricky is not as good as he was in 2002

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Norv Turner's play calling

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Several people, including the Dolphin coaching staff, are blaming the problems in the running game with the anemic passing attack so far this year. But, consider this interesting comparison between the Dolphins and the Carolina Panthers:

The Carolina Panthers have basically the same philosophy that the Dolpins have aimed for the last six years. A power running game and smothering defense. It is easy to say that the running game isn't working this year b/c we can't pass well. But, consider these stat comparisons:

Jake Delhomme - QB Panthers Stats:
113 65 57.5 691 6.12 52 5 5 71.8

Jay Fiedler:
132 75 56.8 885 6.70 57 5 5 74.2

Fiedler and Delhomme have virtually identical stats with Jay having a slight edge in overall rating (74.2 to 71.8), largely due to a better yds per pass attempt. Now, consider Stephen Davis vs Ricky Williams this year:

Davis:
121 641 5.3 34 3

Williams:
134 461 3.4 28 4

The passing attacks of both teams are virtually equal. Carolina doesn't hit a lot of big plays. And, teams know their passing game isn't strong so they have tried to bottle up Davis, just as they have Williams (I get every Carolina game on TV up here - unfortunately - and I've watched it happen). But, Davis' is having a much better year so far.

The difference is, Carolina's line is aggressive and physical. Miami's is passive and soft by comparison. Unless the OL improves, things will be the same for Ricky. We can talk all we want about the passing game not getting it done (and it could be much better). But, the bottom line is, it's the OL.

The foundation of a good offense is a good OL. We have a mediocre one and therefore we aren't getting it done. R/J is dead on when he points to Nails not being the player he was last year and Dixon being out. But, Wade is also playing very poorly. Usually guys in the last year of their contract play exceptionally well. Maybe he's put too much pressure on himself and is not relaxing. He played significantly better as a rookie than he has ever since. He's living off that and it's not happening.

Yes, the passing attack needs to hit those key plays. But, with the current production, the running game could still be much better if the OL play improved.

IMO, you need to throw in it is Ricky fault, i.e. he is not as good as he was in 2002 and also Norv Turner's play calling is not letting Ricky do his thing, but personally, I think Rikcy is doing fine and we are 4-1. Ask a Jets fan about Curtis Martin or a Bills fan about Travis Henry - that is relevant

All of the above except Ricky is as good if not better than last year.

Oliver...

The OL, you give Jay time to throw and Ricky holes to run through and this offense cooks.

Ricky is faster this year then last year.

Just not getting any help from anyone in the Offense, (Insert Your Chose Here).

Ricky's being hindered??? :confused:

He has 462 yards through 5 games this year. Last yr he had 555. Oh, I see what you mean - Hes ONLY on pace for 1500 yards....

Originally posted by Surferosa

He has 462 yards through 5 games this year. Last yr he had 555. Oh, I see what you mean - Hes ONLY on pace for 1500 yards....

He's 10th in HB's for rushing yards, and the Dolphins rushing attack is 8th over all in rushing YDS/AVG per game.

I see exactly what you see, but sometimes it's best not to fight every lil thing you disagree with. Sometimes perception is stronger than reality.

Oliver...

there needs to be an "all of the above" selection. ricky is being met 2 yds behind the line of scrimage by 2-3 D players most of the time. the same is happening to jay. you can tell he is not comfortable in the pocket. even when he has time, he has "happy Feet". he's not getting into a rythm. then throw in the recievers who don't seem to want to catch anything. fiedler isn't the most accurate passer to begin with and when he is rushed, it is worse. the recievers need to help out more by going after more of the close passes and getting better seperation off the line.

ricky has no room to run. jay has no time to get comfortable and the recievers are getting no seperation.

Originally posted by Surferosa

I agree.....the only problem with Ricky's stats is ypc. He's at 3.4 this year.....I'm pretty sure he was over 4.0 at this point last year, but I could be mistaken. He just needs to rip off some long ones (but if that 48-yarder hadn't been taken back against Houston, we might not even be having this conversation right now).

I think the main problem has been penalties. Holding and false starts have put us into too many long-distance downs which have taken the ball out of Ricky's hands. He's just not getting enough carries per game.

Yup, just did the math, and if that 48-yarder had counted, Ricky would be at almost 3.8 per carry. Much better.

Oline .....................

THey can't run block or Pass block..........

i think the o line will be much better when dixon comes back , and to insert mckinney in at guard instead of perry , i think mckinney has i bit more of a mean streak than perry , and thats what the fins need .on o line

Back
Top Bottom