Is it Fiedler or the OL that is hindering Ricky? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Fiedler or the OL that is hindering Ricky?

Who Is More To Blame For Ricky's Poor Stats

• Fiedler's inability to hit the big play

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • The OL just isn't opening the holes like last year

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Ricky is not as good as he was in 2002

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Norv Turner's play calling

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
IT'S DEFINITELY NORV'S PLAY CALLING.

I started a thread a few days about the same topic. Our o-line is not a dominating line and this max protect formation we run alot of plays out of is hindering our running game. If our blockers are not a great run blocking line, then why go with a max protect and draw all the defenders closer to the middle? Doing this allows the defenders to line up closer to Ricky and stopping him as soon as he gets the ball. It also gives the opposing defenses the opportunity to blitz more, and confuse our linemen with their blocking scheme.

We can run the same plays, but we have to do them out of a different formation. Go to a 3 or 4 WR set, spreading out the defense will give Ricky more room to run and leave less defenders in the box for our o-lineman to worry about. We need to make them think we are going to pass when we run on them. We need to make them to think we are going to run when we pass on them. Another thing, we don't do enough play-action, it should be easy to sell the defense because everyone is primarily geared up to stop Ricky.

Football is all about DECEPTION. The team who can better disguise what they are doing, will win their games.

Last edited:
Definitely OL. You can paint a Yugo a lot of different colors and put nice wheels on it. But in the end, it's still a Yugo.

It all starts up front. If those boys block, Ricky runs wild. And no matter how limited a QB is, he's going to play better when he's got great blocking around him. Most importantly, a good OL allows your offensive coordinator to MUCH more freedom in regards to his playbook.

It's the same o-line (except Wade Smith) as last year. Ricky ran for 1800 yds. behind them.

Our offense is playing in a shell (max protect formation). We continue to stay in that shell and we will see the same results as the last few Sundays. The offense is hindered by that formation allowing the defense to stay bunched up. They gotta use more of the field and spread the D out.

DECEPTION.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne
It's the same o-line (except Wade Smith) as last year. Ricky ran for 1800 yds. behind them.

DECEPTION.

And the Raiders have the same team as last year, the problem is that this is not last year.

IMO Nails is not the same player, Wade is not playing well, Dixon is far better than Smith, and Ruddy has missed some time.

The O-line. And I agree that the penalties are hindering this team. Hopefully some of the false starts will disappear, with them finally playing a home game.

Originally posted by zachseau13

And the Raiders have the same team as last year, the problem is that this is not last year.

IMO Nails is not the same player, Wade is not playing well, Dixon is far better than Smith, and Ruddy has missed some time.

The Raiders are an old a$$ team and father time has finally caught up with them. Their main threat (Jerry Porter) in the passing game has been out all season so far. Jerry Rice and Tim Brown can't handle the passing game like they use too, Porter makes that offense go, without them they have no threat in the passing game.

I agree about Nails though, he definitely isn't playing well and Dixon is better than Smith at this time (when healthy).

Everyone will have their different views on what will help this offense. My earlier post is my view. If our lineman are not blocking that well, then why allow the defenders to crowd the box with more men? Wouldn't it be best to spread them out and disguise what we are doing? I think so.

I wouldn't use a vanilla formation that points to run and then run ball with a line that isn't blocking well. I would disguise what I'm doing and go from there.

Sometimes it's just as simple as changing the formation and then running that same play that helps out the blocking up front.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins
Several people, including the Dolphin coaching staff, are blaming the problems in the running game with the anemic passing attack so far this year. But, consider this interesting comparison between the Dolphins and the Carolina Panthers:

The Carolina Panthers have basically the same philosophy that the Dolpins have aimed for the last six years. A power running game and smothering defense. It is easy to say that the running game isn't working this year b/c we can't pass well. But, consider these stat comparisons:

Jake Delhomme - QB Panthers Stats:
113 65 57.5 691 6.12 52 5 5 71.8

Jay Fiedler:
132 75 56.8 885 6.70 57 5 5 74.2

Fiedler and Delhomme have virtually identical stats with Jay having a slight edge in overall rating (74.2 to 71.8), largely due to a better yds per pass attempt. Now, consider Stephen Davis vs Ricky Williams this year:

Davis:
121 641 5.3 34 3

Williams:
134 461 3.4 28 4

The passing attacks of both teams are virtually equal. Carolina doesn't hit a lot of big plays. And, teams know their passing game isn't strong so they have tried to bottle up Davis, just as they have Williams (I get every Carolina game on TV up here - unfortunately - and I've watched it happen). But, Davis' is having a much better year so far.

The difference is, Carolina's line is aggressive and physical. Miami's is passive and soft by comparison. Unless the OL improves, things will be the same for Ricky. We can talk all we want about the passing game not getting it done (and it could be much better). But, the bottom line is, it's the OL.

The foundation of a good offense is a good OL. We have a mediocre one and therefore we aren't getting it done. R/J is dead on when he points to Nails not being the player he was last year and Dixon being out. But, Wade is also playing very poorly. Usually guys in the last year of their contract play exceptionally well. Maybe he's put too much pressure on himself and is not relaxing. He played significantly better as a rookie than he has ever since. He's living off that and it's not happening.

Yes, the passing attack needs to hit those key plays. But, with the current production, the running game could still be much better if the OL play improved.

Mainly the O-line. Line isn't giving Jay a lot of time to throw nor blocking well for Ricky right now. Jay needs to hit the passes (with our limited attempts) and Ricky will run wild. IF the line can possibly open up some kind of hole Ricky will take care of the rest. Problem is he's getting chased and/or hit in the backfield on about 2/3rds of the plays.

Originally posted by Muck
Definitely OL. You can paint a Yugo a lot of different colors and put nice wheels on it. But in the end, it's still a Yugo.

It all starts up front. If those boys block, Ricky runs wild. And no matter how limited a QB is, he's going to play better when he's got great blocking around him. Most importantly, a good OL allows your offensive coordinator to MUCH more freedom in regards to his playbook.

Well said. Here, here!

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Well said. Here, here!

Now I agree that our o-line is not doing their job, but I've came up with an opinion that could help alleviate that weakness.

But are you guys saying that our o-line is a "yugo" and that no matter what we try to do to correct the situation, it will still be a "yugo"? Then the Fins just might as well pack up their lockers and go the hell home for the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

These guys are professionals that know how to block, and they are underacheiving, but I think the formation puts on lot of pressure on them to succeed. The coaches have to figure out a way to make it simpler on the blocking scheme. Max protect invites the entire defense to crash the line as soon there is a handoff.

I'm definitely looking forward to how our coaches are going to address this problem. I'm sure they will figure it out, but no means do I think our offensive line is a "yugo".

It's funny, because Mark Bungle of the Rams is having the same problem...he can't hit the bomb right now and yet the yardage is amazing...could it be the YAC by the Reivers vs. our Receivers. So if we hit the 15 yard are we to assume that our reivers can't make more from that throw. We need to put in crossing routes that allow YAC.

Originally posted by FinaticalOne

But are you guys saying that our o-line is a "yugo" and that no matter what we try to do to correct the situation, it will still be a "yugo"? Then the Fins just might as well pack up their lockers and go the hell home for the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely looking forward to how our coaches are going to address this problem. I'm sure they will figure it out, but no means do I think our offensive line is a "yugo".

It's a simple analogy of the present state of the OL. It's not to say that they can't improve. And it's not to say they are the crappiest unit in the league. Nobody said anything like that.

Originally posted by Muck

hehehehe..good one muck.

It is the O-line...

I just think that Fiedler didn't exactly hit the big play last year either, but the OL was blasting open wide holes for Ricky. This year they aren't.

I know, I like Wade Smith too, but for some reason it just seems like when Mark Dixon was in at LT we were blowing wide open holes for Ricky all over the place. Dixon went down late against KC and didn't come back until I think just before Fiedler came back and as soon as Dixon came back Ricky was back to averaging like 150 yards a game again...after like a 5 game slump where Ricky was gettin nada.

Back
Top Bottom