Is it my imagination, or is the media not talking much about the Dolphins win over NE? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it my imagination, or is the media not talking much about the Dolphins win over NE?

While I have very little doubt that had the Patriots won it would be a much bigger story, I think the ugly nature of the game played a pretty large role in the lack of coverage.

There hardly were even any highlights to show. The most spectacular plays of the game were a long run by the Patriots and a couple 30 yard throws by the Fins. Not exactly captivating television.

But personally id like to stay under the media radar as long as possible anyhow, so all good with me.

Wasn’t much to take from this game. Neither team really proved anything and it was rather uneventful overall
the dolphins proved they can beat the patriots in foxboro.

all i heard all week leading up was that they weren't going to be able to do that.

that's good enough for me to cover, were i a sports talking head.

Honestly, it was kind of a crappy game - from an outsiders' perspective - that could have gone either way. Not a ton of splash plays. No dominance by either defense. No offensive or ST fireworks. Just two teams plodding along and missing opportunities due to inexperienced QBs and relatively uninteresting play-calling.

The story is Mac Jones looked better than anticipated (especially in terms of composure), but a deeper dive shows that they baby-sat him PERFECTLY. So it's less about Mac and more about Belichick/McDaniel's brilliance in setting up the perfect gameplan for their rook. So media still has to resist the urge to slobber all over him.

To me the story is all about our star player coming through in the clutch. But that will get overlooked and the story instead will be the HB with two fumbles.
I totally disagree, I kept saying what a hard fought defensive game it was

Is it my imagination, or is the media not talking much about the Dolphins win over NE?

I've seen a lot of reviews of other games this weekend, but not much about the Dolphins. Since NE was part of that game, I would have expected more coverage, not less.
I'm sure if the Pats had won, you could not avoid all the Dolphins vs Patriots coverage...I'm used to it.

After the game in Applebee's (Where I watched the game), when I got in my car, I turned the radio on, and put on NFL channel on, they were talking Bout different games, then they come to the Pats/Phins game, one of the guys says Dolphins luck out a win...LUCK OUT? Why, because of the fumble?

What some experts seem to forget, Miami did not luck out of anything, Miami in those final minutes were in the driver's seat, and continued to be in the driver's seat with or without that fumble.

1. Miami was driving on the Patriots, and actually the Pats at that moment LUCKED OUT, with that passrush that forced the ball to get away from Tua for the INT...If not for that, odds are good Miami puts the nail on that game.

2. When the Pats got the ball back, they were driving on Miami, but considering the Pats Success level to get TDs on Miami's defense, odds were high, they would have had to settle for a FG.

3. There was still a huge amount of time on the clock, with Miami still having all their timeouts, so Miami was going to get the final chance to win it by probably only needing to reach FG range.

Mac Jones' play was the only story of that game. Nothing else was discussion worthy for anyone not a fan of either team.

And practically every damn football show on tv has a former Patriot on it. It's ridiculous! I don't know what Kraft has on Goodell or the NFL office but it's BS.

"Grind it out games" are not sexy in the offensive shootout NFL of today.

When coverage shifts to those games they need narratives or elite names to carry the attention.

Tua is going to be in chronic "prove it" mode this year. He couldn't beat out Fitz last year, it was handed to him. This "recovering from injury narrative will continue to play out as every one tears apart what he needs to improve instead of what he is improving. This will continue until Tua wins an AFC Championship. Sorry, but that is the underdog role he has been given. Unfortunately, it is the defeated underdog role. Not the up and coming underdog role.

The Jones narrative is more compelling. Regardless of the facts, on the surface Jones sent Cam packing and is the anointed heir apparent to Tom Brady. He has all of the appeal of "the Patriots don't draft QBs high", "BB doesn't start rookie QBs", yada yada yada. All of the build up needed to sell tickets to watch this apparent generational talent that bucks all the trends of the Patriots and BB. So he must be good, right?

This is the NEXT Patriot dynasty, yes?!

Let's not forget who is selling these narratives. ESPN is headquartered in Bristol, Connecticut. They LOVE the New England narrative. It is good for business. Whether is the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots or any other New England sports team.

And its been this way for DECADES. This has always been the slimy truth swept under the rug. They are bias. It has allowed them to quietly help defeat marketing for the West Coast sports teams and other small market sports and teams. They use their influence to monetize bias sports reporting.

Don't like the narratives? Start your own sports media channel.

I listen to their talking heads but I don't let it infuriate me. Some of their praise is legit. Some of their criticisms are legit. I use those to help gain some insight into what we are missing. For example, take a few excerpts on yesterday's game reactions:

"Tua is a soft ball thrower"
"Miami lost every facet of the game except big plays, TOs and Red Zone"
"The game was not bigger than Jones"
"Jones is a better thrower"
"Tua is not as accurate"
"Patriots had uncommon mistakes and penalties"
"X played big in a big game and came away with game saving play"
"It was an ugly game that Patriots dominated TOP yet lost"

All of these are correct.

Tua was not impressive yesterday. For Tua supporters, he made big yardage plays and continues to improve. For Tua detractors, he is still inconsistent, couldn't take over the game, didn't keep the team on the field and didn't take the game away from Jones.

All of these are correct.

The problem I have with the Dolphins is we do not DOMINATE games. We wins games that the other team loses. We rarely step on the field and take away a team's ability to play to their strength.

It's like watching an old boxing match. The strong puncher beats on his limited opponent who's main asset is his ability to take a punch. After 8 or so rounds, the puncher is tired and the other boxer final lands a couple of strikes that end the match. In football, we call this the "bend and don't break" defense and "game managing" offense.

Our game plan depends on the other team losing the game to us.

Even with our new "electric, high powered" offense.... it seems like we bought a trailer queen. We don't want to use it too much or we will get it dirty or have to replace a part.

No game is about 4 quarters of dominance. But other "good/great" teams enjoy successful offense or suffocating defense most of the time.

Our WR and TE units are some of the best in football. We had 202 yards of receiving yesterday. The Pats had 281 yards of receiving in Jones' first start.

I feel like I'm watching the development of Michael Vick's passing ability with our offense. Only we don't have Michael Vick's running ability in Tua.

Some fans want others to drink the koolaid. Wanting us to feel that 202 yards is as exciting as 300+ or 400+ yards. There are reasons those numbers are considered benchmarks to greatness. Because they are.

I'm tired of watching us crawl to some self-advertised level of greatness. It's like the Mafia is sitting next to us in our own living rooms, "You like this explosive offense, don't you?"

I'm tired of hoping it finally clicks this week. And I'm tired of people painting a positive narrative on lack luster performances.

The guy who wanted to be traded saved us yesterday. There's your narrative.

Mack Jones played better than Tua. That is truth. Forgot chasing stats to prove overwise. The eyeball test yesterday showed Mack Jones calmly leading his team.... in his very first NFL game without the benefit of all TC snaps with the 1st string. We made so many excuses for Tua last year .... and even now. At some point, the kid either has it or doesn't.

Ogbah is the only guy able to generate pressure on his own. For all those people not wanting to pay him big $$$, if he walks we don't have a pass rush.

Another fan noted about our offense in another thread, "Our offense looked good when scripted to start a half. Outside of the script, it was aweful." That points to execution and decision making. That "Two OC" system is failing when decisions need to be made on the fly. Something I noted as a design flaw way back in TC. They've done nothing to disprove it.

I quoted Saban in another thread (butchered words), "players learn nothing by winning and playing poorly".

Fans are also guilty of not facing the truth in an ugly win.

We won this week. Play this game again and its a loss. And that is why the "take the victory and enjoy it" crowd is protesting on the steps. Because they know we lose that game yesterday if not for bad Patriot luck.

Luck doesn't win consistently in the NFL.

I'm looking for that dominant Dolphin team to deliver a championship and return to Super Bowl glory. We are miles away from it. We are still looking for ways to win when we shouldn't. We need to be finding ways to take control of luck's hands and put it into our own. We are not dictating to the other team. They are dictating to us.

The media is like reading product reviews. Skim over the bloated comments and look for the patterns in the problems.

Forget the Tua hype and hate. Look on the field. Look at consistency, execution and handling of chaos. Do you see improvement in this offense?

Oh yea, I know it's Week 1 in a new offense. It was Week 1 for Jones too.

Eventually, you have to throw punches to win fights. 17 points.

I know, you'll take the win and watch them improve over the course of the year. Everybody improves over the course of a year, unless tanking. Sounds like we are still relying on luck.

@Ray R It's turnover time, the turning of the guard. Flo now is in control. NE looked like us back in the day at home with 1 kinda pathetic TD and 4 FG's at home. That's how the Dullphins used to play. We have taken over and its time to get the 🍿 perfect ... and hurry back, watch and witness in real-time.

Back
Top Bottom