Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense?

No

The Pats had a huge advantage in TOP so of course they got a lot of yards

Only added up to 16 points which is all that really matters
Exactly. The defense was gassed. But stepped up when their backs were against the wall. If we can start controlling the ball and scoring points I expect our D to play way better. I wouldn’t want to see them matched up against the Browns though. Lol

The problem with letting teams go back and forth between the 20s is that you cant get off the field quickly and youre losing the field position game.
Dolphins D was gassed and it took kind of a flukey play to save the game. Yeah, it was a great tackle on the ball but still very fortunate it A) came loose and B) was recovered by Miami.
New England was going in without that fumble and Dolphins O wouldn't have had that much time to score afterwards. Pats had that game in hand there until they literally didnt.

Take away Harris opening run of 35 yards and he had an average game and that's without Raekwon playing the rest of the game.

No

The Pats had a huge advantage in TOP so of course they got a lot of yards

Only added up to 16 points which is all that really matters
Right. Plus, the roughing the passer call was questionable. Could have easily been 17-12, without a single New England touchdown.

New England obviously has a much better offensive line than Miami. That really stood out today and enabled the Patriots to have more balance.

Miami beat a potentially good team.

We are doing what we ask of him. He comes up big for us in the red zone.
I will certainly give him that. I just wish I would see alittle more from him between the 20's. I will admit that #43 had a bad game today to. (couldn't remember how to spell his name)

I will certainly give him that. I just wish I would see alittle more from him between the 20's. I will admit that #43 had a bad game today to. (couldn't remember how to spell his name)
Our linebackers dont perform great in wide range but that is something steelers run into as well. So is adopted from a scheme. Teams can exploit that earlier in the drive. Thanks to howard and jones we are able to do that. When jones or howard doesnt play we suffer.

Lol this is exactly the same type of defense we had last year. We are not dominant or top ten like thus board says but we are top 6 scoring defense. But the fans overrate this d. We won. I didn’t think we would. So be happy

The issue for me as I watched this game was Yard after contact... We simply didn't tackle well enough! That has nothing to do with the scheme. It seemed like the scheme put people in the right position and then we wiffed (Literally at times) If we tackled better we could have changed the time of possession and the outcome of this game would have been more secure.

I hope we do a better job of that next week.

I'm not confident in this defense. We're not good at stopping the run and can't generate much pass rush at all without blitzing. We really don't have any impact players in the front 7 right now.

I think they're somewhat overrated. Most of their success last season came against lesser teams and qbs. Against top qbs it was usually a different story. Now we have a good secondary but we're still constantly eaten up on short passes to RBs and TEs. We still need an influx of talent in the front 7. Hopefully Phillips is one of the pieces down the road.
Finally, a voice of reason. Thank u

While the "bend but don't break" defensive style has been somewhat successful, I still don't like seeing Miami give up so many yards. Allowing the opponent's offense to move up and down the field means that Miami's offense is on the bench and NOT on the field scoring points!

The bigger stat that sticks out is yards-per-play. I don’t believe ours against the run is very good, but like you said, we get stops when it’s more crucial often. Today was an example…getting those fumbles at absolutely critical moments. I see so many people say turnovers is not something steady you can rely on…but it seems these coaches disagree and teach to it.

That said, I hate giving up a bunch of yards. The defense scheme today wasn’t good IMO…and I believe a chunk of that was because they were going against a rookie in his first start, and didn’t expect him to be as crisp as he was on the underneath stuff. They gave him too much room to make a mistake, and he played a very disciplined game. Next meeting, it’ll be completely different.

If my math is right, after NE's 1st play, their run game averaged ~3ypc. I can live with that. Read somewhere Mac had a 133 QBR in 1H, but 90 in 2H. What bothered me most was it appeared Miami ran a lot more zone than I anticipated and could never stop the passes to the sidelines.

Below is a post I made prior to this game in another thread from @Mach2. We are still having an issue with stopping the run, but we are stopping the run when it counts. New England was using a lot of twin tight end sets, and in some plays three wide receivers sets. This worked for them in the open field but once you get to the red zone there is less flexibility in the playbook. Our linebackers also play in a smaller range. With the type of defense deployment we run it seems like we give up a lot of yardage in the middle regardless if its passing, or rushing yards. We seem to be ok with that because we have two pro bowl corners, but because things change closer to the redzone we are able to take advantage really good on the field. This is why we are top 5 in points allowed in the League. There is nothing to worry about.

"
Original post js55

Is the scheme sacrifice. For example, 3-4 defenses typically focus on complex coverage and blitzing schemes, leaving some areas open to being exploiting if the offenses exploits the direction of the blitzing, or coverage. Think of
the Steelers which still run the Dick Lebeau system. Last year ranking?

Steelers: 11th rushing yards allowed
Dolphins: 16th rushing yards allowed

Steelers interceptions 1st in league
Dolphins interceptions 1st in league
+ 2 other teams tied for 1st

Sacks not including qb pressures

Steelers 1st in league
Dolphins 10th in league

forced fumbles

Dolphins 5th in league
Steelers 18th in league

Points allowed

Steelers 3rd in league
dolphins 5th in league

But the dolphins are 20th in the league in yards allowed a game? But they are allowing 5th fewest points? 10th in passing yards a game allowed? 17th in rushing yards allowed a game? Quite simply what
matters the most is a teams ability to not yield points, and scoring. Base on stats alone the dolphins are giving up yards, but they are preventing others teams from scoring when it counts. All that is driven by
our scheme of course. The scheme works, but don't let other numbers deceive you. However, one stat that I can't find the the time on field..

Base on the yards allowed a game one came come to an eye ball
guess that we are not spending the most time on the field as a defense, but we are also not staying out of the field as much as the higher ranked teams. There must be some kind of balance to allow players
to rest IMO, but that is an indirect result of playing that players don't generally have a direct focus on"
The Most important Defensive stats to be in the top 4 or 5 in are:

-Points scored against
-3rd down conversions against (so get off the field on 3rd down)
-Takeaways or turnover ratio
-red zone defense conversion %

Those are the most important stats. Stopping the run, or failure to do so means that you will have a harder time with number 2 on that list (3rd down conversions) which will add to your trouble with number one (Points scored against) But it’s not necessarily the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom