Is it time to go get a Center? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it time to go get a Center?

It’s ridiculous that some posters have already concluded that moving Williams to center is a mistake. He is obviously learning a new position but that doesn’t mean he will not have success at the center position.

He hasn’t played a single game at the position yet, but some people are already claiming that the coaching staff has made a mistake. My view is the coaching staff feels Williams will be better than Deiter and that’s why they decided to replace Deiter by moving Williams into that position.

I have no idea if Williams will be effective at center but I certainly trust the coaching staff and their decision making over the naysayers on here who have already determined Williams will fail at the center position.

I would also have liked to see the Dolphins add another center in free agency or the draft but it didn’t happen and unless they decide to add a center in the next few weeks, I have no problem with Williams being the starting center this coming season.
Dieter wasn’t the answer as a starter that became apparent.

I hope it works out with Williams but they needed an upgrade at the position with an actual real Center imo.

I hope it works out with Williams but they needed an upgrade at the position with an actual real Center imo.
Opinions vary.
I heard that at the movies - LOL

Let me see.

1) "When the player you brought in to play center wasn’t a center" -
He had played center for a short time.
So, you are RONG, they demonstrably did address it!

Apparently, our coaching staff saw something they liked in him at center.
They also seemed to be satisfied with Dieter enough to keep at center while looking for other centers. They probably felt that any of his weaknesses could be "coached up".

The Front Office and the Coaching staff were clearly looking at improving this position, along with several others. Their trades and draft picks show this.

They have different opinions and priority levels than you do.

I will almost always agree with their selections because I feel they have significantly better information than most fans.

"Ray is Right " - LOL
Ah yes. Like the staff last year with the continued play of Davis the eye sore.

The new staffs no longer get the benefit of the doubt after continued failure at the Ol for numerous years and staffs. I mean you can go on trusting…

Again I hope they and you are right because I’m tired of OL’s derailing seasons and the QB play.

Ah yes. Like the staff last year with the continued play of Davis the eye sore.

The new staffs no longer get the benefit of the doubt after continued failure at the Ol for numerous years and staffs. I mean you can go on trusting…

Again I hope they and you are right because of tired of OL’s derailing seasons and the QB play.
"The new staffs no longer get the benefit of the doubt after continued failure at the Ol for numerous years and staffs"

Are you actually blaming last year's teams' performance on our new coaching staff ???

Can you see how I'm confused about that.

"The new staffs no longer get the benefit of the doubt after continued failure at the Ol for numerous years and staffs"

Are you actually blaming last year's teams' performance on our new coaching staff ???

Can you see how I'm confused about that.
No but I’m not crowning them ‘as they know better’ at this point, as you apparently have.

Last edited:
Connor Williams does not seem to be getting any better at shotgun snapping. Every day he's having issues. I wonder if it's one of those Chuck Knoblauch psychological things where he couldn't throw the ball to first. I mean snapping out of the gun shouldn't be that difficult for a professional athlete. Dieter's in a boot and who's next in line, Pankey?----Sheesh! Go get someone with some experience before the season is upon us, at least as an insurance policy.
It’s way past time. Our should have been center is a former 1st round CB with UDFA skills.

No but I’m not crowing them ‘as they know better’ at this point, as you apparently have.
Given the circumstances, believing the current staff is better than the previous one, as it concerns the Oline, is a very reasonable conclusion.

The offensive line as a whole still scares me until proven otherwise. Let’s be honest armstead has a decent chance to miss games. Then we’re right back to last year basically.

It’s ridiculous that some posters have already concluded that moving Williams to center is a mistake. He is obviously learning a new position but that doesn’t mean he will not have success at the center position.

He hasn’t played a single game at the position yet, but some people are already claiming that the coaching staff has made a mistake. My view is the coaching staff feels Williams will be better than Deiter and that’s why they decided to replace Deiter by moving Williams into that position.

I have no idea if Williams will be effective at center but I certainly trust the coaching staff and their decision making over the naysayers on here who have already determined Williams will fail at the center position.

I would also have liked to see the Dolphins add another center in free agency or the draft but it didn’t happen and unless they decide to add a center in the next few weeks, I have no problem with Williams being the starting center this coming season.

Personally I don't see it as a mistake. More of Miami trying to make the best of a tough situation.

The fact that Dallas tried him at center and he failed , then combined with reports like this from today give plenty of reason for concern though.

I’m not arguing that they shouldn’t have added a center to the roster. Yet as of today, they haven’t added another center and the coaches seem to believe that Williams is their best offensive lineman to use in that position.

If it doesn’t work out, they can always go back to Deiter but Deiter wasn’t drafted as a center either. He was a guard the previous coaching staff converted into a center.

I do agree that center should be a priory position of need in the off season but for now it appears they are content with going with Williams at center and hopefully it works out.

Who can we get at this time?......anybody out there that is available would be available for a reason.
I realize CJ Tetter was hurt last year. I have read he is ready to go. But with how dynamic the Dolphins should be this year what good is it if you don’t have somebody competent centering the ball and blocking. As a fan what are we missing?? Either sign Tetter or somebody of his caliber to finish off building the offensive line. It’s like having a fortress and no front door it seems illogical to me.

The offensive line as a whole still scares me until proven otherwise. Let’s be honest armstead has a decent chance to miss games. Then we’re right back to last year basically.
So you do not believe players can get better with technique, assignment soundness, etc, both naturally, as well as through better (in this case competent) coaching?

Back
Top Bottom