Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18?

I would take Jason Campbell at #18 before I took Matt Jones

caneaddict said:
In all seriousness, what happened to Larry Shannon. I also remember he was like 6'5 and ran a 4.4. I remember he was a reeeeeaaaaal long shot and most didn't really expect him to become that great, but the potential was there due to his size/speed that it was like "you never know". So since he didn't play much before gettig cut, does anyone remember what he did so bad? Hands, seperation, converting track speed to football speed, route running ... what was it that did him in?

When was this Larry Shannon taken in the draft? I keep hearing people compare him to Jones. Was he hyped up alot like Jones and picked in the late 1st or 2nd??

Phinfan31 said:
When was this Larry Shannon taken in the draft? I keep hearing people compare him to Jones. Was he hyped up alot like Jones and picked in the late 1st or 2nd??

A 3rd Rounder if I recall correctly. JJ compared him to Randy Moss:wink: (although I would never have wanted Moss on the Dolphins he at least had a great deal more value to the Vikes.)

Larry Shannon was 6'4" and 206 pounds, about the same height and not quite a sub-4.4 speed guy. But he is a good example that you need something a little more than just that height/speed combo.

Matt Jones is 2 inches taller, and faster. For the record.

How can you call this guy a "workout warrior"? He dominated the sec . To say he shyed away from contact is insane, he rushed for tons of yards. He is an absolute stud, plus he was a hooper, BB skills translate to receiver. I will be disappointed if we dont take mj at #18, if we have that pick.

I agree with everyone who says we should take Matt Jones at #18 if we trade down with Minny. I think that guy is a baller and could really do some serious damage playing the slot in this league, especially with Linehans offense.

ckparrothead said:
As far as pure coverage goes, there's no such thing as full contact football for WRs and CBs anymore, even during games. If Bryant McFadden can't cover Jones in practice, when he's allowed to get just as much of a jam on Jones as he would in a game, and just as much contact as he would in a game, then by god Bryant McFadden wouldn't be able to cover the guy during games either. Its your choice whether to take that to mean McFadden sucks, or Jones will indeed be awesome.

And 6'6" is to a 6'3" guy what a 6'3" guy is to a 6'0" guy. At 6' even, nobody would call a guy tall, but at 6'3" they'd call that very nicely tall for a wide receiver. Now, you've got 6'6" and thats just plain monstrous at WR, hence the talk about putting Jones at TE or H-Back. In fact, the only people on the field that are taller than Jones, are the tallest of the offensive tackles.

6'3" tall with 4.4 speed is coverable. Its schemable. 6'6" tall with 4.4 speed is not.

Tell Chris Chambers there is no contact between wr and db's. remember Kennedy from Broncos laying him out a couple years ago!

Back
Top Bottom