Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18?

Is "dynamic" code for "dud"?

On what basis are you saying that this guy is the best/most dynamic ever?

"if" is the right word. That's the key. There are so many other good picks that we could make.

I would call being the tallest player in the history of the NFL to run a sub-4.4 in the 40 probably the most dynamic athlete. Speed, height, hands, and route running are the four cornerstones of being a WR in the NFL....in that order. You will probably not see another player with Jones' speed and height in a long time. The question marks are hands and route running. We know the routes are not where they need to be. But, we also know he has the athletic ability to learn that. What we're not sure, is how his hands are, and how they will be under pressure. My feeling is, that he showed enough potential with the hands at the Senior Bowl, to be a dominant WR in the NFL.

You don't need to have great hands to be a good NFL WR. Ask Eddie Kennison. You also don't need super crisp route running. You don't need great height, and you don't necessarily need great speed. But it is my opinion that you need at least two of those attributes to be really good, and one to be servicible, to be a good WR in the NFL. Of the four attributes, the two you really cannot coach, are height and speed. Jones already has the height AND speed, which almost NEVER happens, and most certainly has never happened the way it has for Matt Jones.

Instincts? Go run all the way down the field against that cornerback who is 6 inches shorter than you and can't jump as high as you, I'm going to lob it up high and you can just go get it, ok? Done.

Eric-Honduras said:
hello no..... Matt Jones will be drafted in the 2nd round at best... probably 3rd round

You havnt been around lately, have you? He was considered the player that has risen his stock the most this draft. Baltimore has been rumored considering him at #22. He will go in the 2nd round if he isnt taken in the 1st, and I bet early too.

yeah but you know how they always get their good players on the lower rounds.... maybe they will take Jones in the first if he's there. and they did lose Givens and Brown

In that case lets dump Zach Thomas and replace him with a 5th rounder. After all, Zach came to us in the 5th round (I believe)...

Seriously dude you don't just replace a Teddy Bruschi in the late rounds easily just because you've had a run of success at drafting the last couple of years.

Phinfan31 said:
If we were to trade for the 7 and 18 from the Vikings...would Matt Jones be a reach at #18??? I remember hearing Baltimore is considering him at 22, Saban has had great things to say about this guy, do you think he would take him? Can you imagine getting Cedric Benson and Matt Jones in the 1st round??

I go so far as to say that I'd be surprised if Saban passed on Matt Jones at #18 overall. He has a high opinion of him and jones stock has continued to rise.

ckparrothead said:
I would call being the tallest player in the history of the NFL to run a sub-4.4 in the 40 probably the most dynamic athlete. Speed, height, hands, and route running are the four cornerstones of being a WR in the NFL....in that order. You will probably not see another player with Jones' speed and height in a long time. The question marks are hands and route running. We know the routes are not where they need to be. But, we also know he has the athletic ability to learn that. What we're not sure, is how his hands are, and how they will be under pressure. My feeling is, that he showed enough potential with the hands at the Senior Bowl, to be a dominant WR in the NFL.

You don't need to have great hands to be a good NFL WR. Ask Eddie Kennison. You also don't need super crisp route running. You don't need great height, and you don't necessarily need great speed. But it is my opinion that you need at least two of those attributes to be really good, and one to be servicible, to be a good WR in the NFL. Of the four attributes, the two you really cannot coach, are height and speed. Jones already has the height AND speed, which almost NEVER happens, and most certainly has never happened the way it has for Matt Jones.

Instincts? Go run all the way down the field against that cornerback who is 6 inches shorter than you and can't jump as high as you, I'm going to lob it up high and you can just go get it, ok? Done.

Great post

ckparrothead said:
In that case lets dump Zach Thomas and replace him with a 5th rounder. After all, Zach came to us in the 5th round (I believe)...

Seriously dude you don't just replace a Teddy Bruschi in the late rounds easily just because you've had a run of success at drafting the last couple of years.
I think NE will draft Crowder somewhere Saturday.

I think so too, but I also don't think Crowder makes it out of the 2nd round. Too many teams could use an awesome LB right away to pass on him too long. The only thing holding him back are the knee surgeries of the past.

ckparrothead said:
Even if he's the most dynamic athlete the league has ever seen at the WR position?

Where do you get that notion from. I guess its just wishfult thinking. Because he hasnt played a down yet.

HysterikiLL said:
Yes. He was a quarterback in college. Mike Vick could be the most dynamic punter the league has seen but you don't see him 10 yards back on 4th and 20.

He started as a WR, but was changed to QB because of his versatility.

ckparrothead said:
Eric Crouch was not 6'6" tall with a 39.5 inch vertical and running the 40 in 4.37 seconds.

Matt Jones broke an NFL record for being the tallest player to ever record an official 40 time under 4.4 seconds. There has never been anybody that tall and that fast. And at the Senior Bowl, he didn't drop a single ball thrown his way. You wonder if he's got the agility or acceleration? Well, his vertical is almost 40 inches, which is phenomenal especially for a 6'6" man. His long jump was also good, and his 10 yard split time was among the best of the WRs at the combine. He made a nice one-handed catch in the endzone at the Senior Bowl against coverage on a deep fade route. It really was breathtaking and a nice sign of things to come.

Matt Jones has broken the number one law of realistic personnel in the NFL...that the biggger you get, the slower you get. As a WR, there is no substitute for height except speed, and there is no substitute for speed except height. There's hardly any such thing as a dominant short and slow player, plenty of dominant tall but slow ones (Keyshawn, Plaxico, soon to be Mike Williams), plenty of dominant fast but short ones (Santana Moss, Hines Ward), and a lot of guys in between.

But the closest WR in the league to Jones' combo of height and speed is Randy Moss, at 6'4" tall with sub 4.4 speed. That should be very telling.

That punter example is the worst example I've ever seen

Randy Moss was a full time WR. You saw him over and over again in college. This guy is converting from QB to WR. Remember how long it takes for pure WR's to get on track in the NFL. Usually 3 seasons or so. So now you take a guy that hasnt played a down as WR in the NFL and expect him to go nuts in the big league.

His physical prowess doesnt sell me even though it is impressive. There have been so many physically gifted guys turn out to be busts in the NFL. Let me pick a few, T. Mandirich. S. Entman. B. Bosworth. R. leaf. and so on and so on.!

Phinfan31 said:
You havnt been around lately, have you? He was considered the player that has risen his stock the most this draft. Baltimore has been rumored considering him at #22. He will go in the 2nd round if he isnt taken in the 1st, and I bet early too.

There's always stupid teams when you need them...I have no doubt that at least one team will pick him in the first round...without him ever playing at the position of wideout or T.E.....without ever getting hit by a safety or linebacker.
Experiments should be left in a lab....not on a football field...now imagine the Dolphins picking him using the 18th pick....and not selecting a player like Clayton who has proved for 4 years that he's the best most polished receiver in the draft...and then Matt Jones fails....what will they be saying for decades to come? I can hear it now....can't you? Take the smart pick...select Clayton or just trade down and acquire more picks.

If anyone has seen my previous posts, you would already know what I will say. He's a STEAL at #18.

The questions I've heard so far are these:

1. Can he do it against NFL Corners?
2. Will he go over the middle?
3. Can he catch?
4. Can he run routes?
5. Can he do it against New England on 4th and 15 in December?

Here are the answers:
1. Bryant McFadden is rated as a 2nd round CB that many teams will look to draft. He's played corner his whole life and stepped up big for FSU. Matt Jones treated him like his own personal puppy. McFadden isn't Ty Law but considering it was Matt Jones first week of playing WR since High School, it's not too much of a stretch to think he can be competitive with some real coaching.
2. As a QB, Matt often took off running and was willing to take contact while putting himself at risk for the team. He's 6'6 1/4 and weighs 242. I can't imagine that he would have a huge problem with taking a hit. But even if he shy's away from contact, look at Randy Moss - he's shown that with that combination of size and speed, you can be successful just running the go route. Think of Deion, because of his physical skills he was able to be great even without tackling.
3. Of course he can catch. His Senior Bowl highlights clearly show that he has the natural ability to catch. Anyone who hasn't seen the spectacular one handed endzone catch is missing a great highlight.
4. No one knows if he can run routes. He did a good job of setting up the corners by getting them to turn their hips at the Senior Bowl, but th big question is his route running. Again, on this point I would say that his size/speed, like Moss, means he can be effective without running clean routes. Imagine him on the fade in the end zone - anyone can run that route, and I don't know who could defend him there.
5. He was considered by many, the most valuable player in the SEC. Saban said he won more games for his team than anyone else in the SEC. He's played two 7 OT games. Clearly he is a crunch time player.

ckparrothead said:

Unfortunately I've heard this before, his name was Larry Shannon. 6-3 200+ who ran 4.4 but couldn't play football. Renaldo Nemeah (49ers WR who was a world class sprinter) couldn't play a lick either. Mike Mamula, Keith McCants, Tommy Vardell all had boggling workout numbers but couldn't play football.

Workout warriors almost always disappoint, its part of the reason Im unsure of Ronnie Brown.

Picking Jones with the 18th pick is tempting. The rules implemented last years limiting DB contact makes a "bigger" WR even more valuable. Saban maybe able to employ him as an H-back. With his speed that would be fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom