Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18?

I have to disagree. Eddie Moore was just as risky as Anquan Boldin. You are just fitting in a dolphin pick that was unpopular to serve your purpose. Like saying John Avery was drafted for need if you believe in drafting BPA.

That is absolutely not true. At the time Eddie Moore filled a need. He was in no way a high risk high reward type pick. In fact, once the run on linebackers began, Dave Wannstedt went with the best of the linebackers he still had on his board that could "run" Eddie Moore was chosen because Wannstedt cared far more about filling an immediate need, although a small one, with a rookie. He believed in not giving rookies a whole lot of responsibility in their first year and making them role players, so he chose Jamar Fletcher to fill the role of nickel cornerback, and he chose Eddie Moore for the role of nickel linebacker and special teams ace.

ckparrothead said:
That is absolutely not true. At the time Eddie Moore filled a need. He was in no way a high risk high reward type pick. In fact, once the run on linebackers began, Dave Wannstedt went with the best of the linebackers he still had on his board that could "run" Eddie Moore was chosen because Wannstedt cared far more about filling an immediate need, although a small one, with a rookie. He believed in not giving rookies a whole lot of responsibility in their first year and making them role players, so he chose Jamar Fletcher to fill the role of nickel cornerback, and he chose Eddie Moore for the role of nickel linebacker and special teams ace.

How is Anquoin Bolden a bigger risk than Eddie Moore? Wannstedt cared more about the "need" at linebacker than the "need" at wide reciever. If he drafted Bolden he still wouldn't of given him a whole lot of responsibility his first year and made him a role player.

Both players had question marks. That is one reason why Eddie Moore was seen as a 5th round pick by a lot of draft boards. Boldin was seen even more as a steal at that point. No one said that Eddie Moore was a steal after the draft.

At this moment you are just using an unpopular decision and having it fit into what you believe.

ckparrothead said:
What exactly is unsafe about him? I would reckon that he is one of the safest bets in the draft. The guy could run a sub-4.4 in his sleep. If anything Randy Moss has shown us that you don't need to work all that hard when you've got the god-given physical gifts that these guys have. And Matt Jones is better at running with the ball in his hands than Randy.

Even better, unlike Moss, he isnt a slouch. He is a team leader and a fiery player with a great competitive spirit.

popularwar said:
Why would we take a potential receiver instead of a proven winner like Clayton?

That is a good question. That is going to be a tough decision. Do you take a player who is proven or do you take the player with better potential? Matt Jones can run and catch, but can he run and catch over the middle when the other team has time to evaluate him. Is he the type of person who is willing to sacrifice his body to go over the middle, or to make blocks downfield that Clayton and the guy from Georgia are willing to do and have experience with.

If you go by pure athletism than Jones looks like a top ten pick. Right now, it would not surprise me if he turns out to be saturday.

ckparrothead said:
Even if he's the most dynamic athlete the league has ever seen at the WR position?

That's a mighty big "if".

While I don't doubt Jones' great physical skills, it's a stretch at this point to call him a wide receiver. Yes, he runs a sub 4.3 40 YD dash, has great size, and looked very good in private workouts, but the guy is greener that a football field filled with leprechauns suffering from diarrhea.

And great physical skills doesn't make a great football player. Remember the last 6'5 sub 4.4 wide receiver we drafted? That would be Larry "Better than Randy Moss" Shannon. The Sporting News 1997 preview of the 1998 draft listed Shannon as the best wide receiver in the draft. Granted, Shannon was hurt, but even Yatil Green had probably ten more catches than Shannon did.

Matt Jones may never grasp the finer nuances of being an elite wide receiver. As a previous poster said, he's an enigma, and in my opinion, not worthy of the 18th pick in the draft (as long as we're picking). He's a high risk, high reward type of draft pick, which is the type we can't afford to pick right now. New England, Philly, and maybe even Pittsburgh can afford to gamble on whether or not he's a bust, but we can't. We've got to hit on damned near every early pick we make.

ok look, the way i see it, there is NO WAY Jones will be a bust if we pick him. why? because all he has to do is know how to catch which, if you've seen his senior bowl highlights, he can. he's taller and faster than most CBs out there. and also there's the fact that he would be lining up next to a pro bowler, and someone who would be a pro bowler had he not been in Wanny's offense. both who usually get double covered. do you think that a 6'6" 240 monster that runs a 4.39 40 won't get all the defense's attention? and when he gets double covered AJ or Adrian or whoever is QBing the dolphins they will just throw it to the pro bowlers that are getting less attention for a huge gain. Belichick's schemes would be useless against him, all their CBs are what like 5'11, 180lbs? i'd love to see the first time he lines up against Randall Gay and see him trying to tackle him when he makes the catch over him. Matt Jones should be Scott Linehan's wet dream

finsrule84 said:
ok look, the way i see it, there is NO WAY Jones will be a bust if we pick him. why? because all he has to do is know how to catch which, if you've seen his senior bowl highlights, he can. he's taller and faster than most CBs out there. and also there's the fact that he would be lining up next to a pro bowler, and someone who would be a pro bowler had he not been in Wanny's offense. both who usually get double covered. do you think that a 6'6" 240 monster that runs a 4.39 40 won't get all the defense's attention? and when he gets double covered AJ or Adrian or whoever is QBing the dolphins they will just throw it to the pro bowlers that are getting less attention for a huge gain. Belichick's schemes would be useless against him, all their CBs are what like 5'11, 180lbs? i'd love to see the first time he lines up against Randall Gay and see him trying to tackle him when he makes the catch over him. Matt Jones should be Scott Linehan's wet dream

I can't tell you how many Senior Bowl MVPs I've seen through the years that have done absolutely nothing in the NFL. Those private workouts are good and all, but they don't measure mental toughness and tenacity. How do they measure how he'll handle the pressure of going over the middle on 4th and 15 in New England (in December) and waiting to have a blindside hit by Rodney Harrison? You can't. All they can do is measure how well he handles sterile workouts.

Saban would know better than anyone. I'm guessing we don't go at him an 18 if we get it, but we'll see. Saban is constantly saying that we have tons of needs, but he'll also say that you don't draft strictly for need at the same time so who knows? Drafting Jones wouldn't bother me at all, as long as we have a second round pick to follow up with.

hello no..... Matt Jones will be drafted in the 2nd round at best... probably 3rd round

Some team with the luxery of being able to miss on a player will draft him (Steelers, Eagles)...we DO NOT have the luxery of "experimenting" with a first round pick.

For everyone on this board calling him the "next big thing" or saying "you can't ignore his physical abilites or his combine numbers"...the Eagles thought the same thing about a defensive end from Boston College a few years ago...they had to have him blahblahblah...and look at how Mike Mamula turned out.

At #18 we go defense.

ckparrothead said:
Eric Crouch was not 6'6" tall with a 39.5 inch vertical and running the 40 in 4.37 seconds.

Matt Jones broke an NFL record for being the tallest player to ever record an official 40 time under 4.4 seconds. There has never been anybody that tall and that fast. And at the Senior Bowl, he didn't drop a single ball thrown his way. You wonder if he's got the agility or acceleration? Well, his vertical is almost 40 inches, which is phenomenal especially for a 6'6" man. His long jump was also good, and his 10 yard split time was among the best of the WRs at the combine. He made a nice one-handed catch in the endzone at the Senior Bowl against coverage on a deep fade route. It really was breathtaking and a nice sign of things to come.

Matt Jones has broken the number one law of realistic personnel in the NFL...that the biggger you get, the slower you get. As a WR, there is no substitute for height except speed, and there is no substitute for speed except height. There's hardly any such thing as a dominant short and slow player, plenty of dominant tall but slow ones (Keyshawn, Plaxico, soon to be Mike Williams), plenty of dominant fast but short ones (Santana Moss, Hines Ward), and a lot of guys in between.

But the closest WR in the league to Jones' combo of height and speed is Randy Moss, at 6'4" tall with sub 4.4 speed. That should be very telling.

That punter example is the worst example I've ever seen

work out warriors :shakeno:

who cares about numbers when people are having fun with their pads off?

you want to draft a football player. instinct is far more valuable than a workout number. this isn't the world's strongest man contest, its football.

this is the same reseaon i am confused why ronnie brown is concidered sooo much better than the other rb's since the combine. when the three were playing football it was up for debate - then one of then runs a track-like workout 40 yards in a straight line without getting touched faster than the other and he is far and away the best of the 3????:shakeno:

no, if we were the eagle with few holes and 13 picks, then sure... dont waste a pick on Jones after receiving the gift from the vikes if it happens...

We have to many holes imo to taekt hsi guy that early. He could turn out to be a very good player, and I think he will, but he is still a gamble and at 18 he isnt worth it imo

Back
Top Bottom