Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18?

caneaddict said:
If anyone has seen my previous posts, you would already know what I will say. He's a STEAL at #18.

The questions I've heard so far are these:

1. Can he do it against NFL Corners?
2. Will he go over the middle?
3. Can he catch?
4. Can he run routes?
5. Can he do it against New England on 4th and 15 in December?

Here are the answers:
1. Bryant McFadden is rated as a 2nd round CB that many teams will look to draft. He's played corner his whole life and stepped up big for FSU. Matt Jones treated him like his own personal puppy. McFadden isn't Ty Law but considering it was Matt Jones first week of playing WR since High School, it's not too much of a stretch to think he can be competitive with some real coaching.
2. As a QB, Matt often took off running and was willing to take contact while putting himself at risk for the team. He's 6'6 1/4 and weighs 242. I can't imagine that he would have a huge problem with taking a hit. But even if he shy's away from contact, look at Randy Moss - he's shown that with that combination of size and speed, you can be successful just running the go route. Think of Deion, because of his physical skills he was able to be great even without tackling.
3. Of course he can catch. His Senior Bowl highlights clearly show that he has the natural ability to catch. Anyone who hasn't seen the spectacular one handed endzone catch is missing a great highlight.
4. No one knows if he can run routes. He did a good job of setting up the corners by getting them to turn their hips at the Senior Bowl, but th big question is his route running. Again, on this point I would say that his size/speed, like Moss, means he can be effective without running clean routes. Imagine him on the fade in the end zone - anyone can run that route, and I don't know who could defend him there.
5. He was considered by many, the most valuable player in the SEC. Saban said he won more games for his team than anyone else in the SEC. He's played two 7 OT games. Clearly he is a crunch time player.

Your talking about practice at the senior bowl....not a full contact game against NFL players. Is he interesting...yes....is he worth a first round pick...no. And I believe he was thought of as a most valuable runner...in the SEC...not a receiver.

Your talking about practice at the senior bowl....not a full contact game against NFL players. Is he interesting...yes....is he worth a first round pick...no. And I believe he was thought of as a most valuable runner...in the SEC...not a receiver.

As far as pure coverage goes, there's no such thing as full contact football for WRs and CBs anymore, even during games. If Bryant McFadden can't cover Jones in practice, when he's allowed to get just as much of a jam on Jones as he would in a game, and just as much contact as he would in a game, then by god Bryant McFadden wouldn't be able to cover the guy during games either. Its your choice whether to take that to mean McFadden sucks, or Jones will indeed be awesome.

And 6'6" is to a 6'3" guy what a 6'3" guy is to a 6'0" guy. At 6' even, nobody would call a guy tall, but at 6'3" they'd call that very nicely tall for a wide receiver. Now, you've got 6'6" and thats just plain monstrous at WR, hence the talk about putting Jones at TE or H-Back. In fact, the only people on the field that are taller than Jones, are the tallest of the offensive tackles.

6'3" tall with 4.4 speed is coverable. Its schemable. 6'6" tall with 4.4 speed is not.

ckparrothead said:
As far as pure coverage goes, there's no such thing as full contact football for WRs and CBs anymore, even during games. If Bryant McFadden can't cover Jones in practice, when he's allowed to get just as much of a jam on Jones as he would in a game, and just as much contact as he would in a game, then by god Bryant McFadden wouldn't be able to cover the guy during games either. Its your choice whether to take that to mean McFadden sucks, or Jones will indeed be awesome.

And 6'6" is to a 6'3" guy what a 6'3" guy is to a 6'0" guy. At 6' even, nobody would call a guy tall, but at 6'3" they'd call that very nicely tall for a wide receiver. Now, you've got 6'6" and thats just plain monstrous at WR, hence the talk about putting Jones at TE or H-Back. In fact, the only people on the field that are taller than Jones, are the tallest of the offensive tackles.

6'3" tall with 4.4 speed is coverable. Its schemable. 6'6" tall with 4.4 speed is not.

Ask Chambers if they still have full contact football....Geez. I don't care if he weighs 240...a safety weighing 210 running right at him at full contact would knock his socks off...imagine a linebacker on a crossing route...they still play full contact..it isn't flag football.

Phinfan31 said:
If we were to trade for the 7 and 18 from the Vikings...would Matt Jones be a reach at #18??? I remember hearing Baltimore is considering him at 22, Saban has had great things to say about this guy, do you think he would take him? Can you imagine getting Cedric Benson and Matt Jones in the 1st round??
Is he a reach at 18, yes without a doubt. I honestly don't think he'll go until the third round, the earliest being late 2nd.

The safer pick at #49 was Eddie Moore. The safer pick at #21 was Jamar Fletcher. They didn't turn out to be so safe. You take the best talent you can period.

No team in the entire league has the "luxury" you speak of.

You're right. Here's the thing: A. The guy is a football player. He makes plays and he was impressive enough to make an impression on our current head coach. B. I ask you, lined up in the slot, how does an opposing team cover Matt Jones? Put a corner back on him and Feeley can throw a jump ball. Stick a safety on him and Jones runs by him with his speed. A multi-tooled player like that with THAT rare combination is certainly worth the risk, especially in Linehan's offense.

I also agree with you that taking the "safe" pick has hurt us tremendously in recent years. Enough is enough. Do we want to be good or do we want to be great??

Matt Jones is a player that forces the defense into bad match ups. He changes strategy much like Pat Surtain forces strategy by taking away the opposite team's number one option.

ckparrothead said:
In that case lets dump Zach Thomas and replace him with a 5th rounder. After all, Zach came to us in the 5th round (I believe)...

Seriously dude you don't just replace a Teddy Bruschi in the late rounds easily just because you've had a run of success at drafting the last couple of years.

see but where you're wrong is that god is a patriots fan (he just thinks Brady is so dreamy) and everything will go right for them.

seriously, though i can really see Bellichick taking that risk. i'm not saying they'll find a replacement in the 5th round but there should a lot of valuable players in the second

finsrule84 said:
...seriously, though i can really see Bellichick taking that risk. i'm not saying they'll find a replacement in the 5th round but there should a lot of valuable players in the second
The Patsies took a reach on Ben Watson last year in the first round. His college career was good...but not super productive with less than 1000 yards receiving (less production than 4th round Randy McMichael). But, his size and measurables were outstanding. You grab talent when it is available.

PhinstiGator said:
The Patsies took a reach on Ben Watson last year in the first round. His college career was good...but not super productive with less than 1000 yards receiving (less production than 4th round Randy McMichael). But, his size and measurables were outstanding. You grab talent when it is available.

Was Watson a T.E. while at college....yes. Not as big a reach as taking a QB that couldn't make it as a QB and turning him into a receiver or T.E....something that takes years.

If the patsies have the "luxury" just because they are and have been willing to take the "risk", and they're god's gift to drafting, then I think we would do well to start taking a few more "risks" in our drafting approach too.

No matter what you say about position changes, etc, you can't ignore Matt Jones' athletic abilities...which are second to none.

Phinfan31 said:
If we were to trade for the 7 and 18 from the Vikings...would Matt Jones be a reach at #18??? I remember hearing Baltimore is considering him at 22, Saban has had great things to say about this guy, do you think he would take him? Can you imagine getting Cedric Benson and Matt Jones in the 1st round??

:shakeno:

Too many needs to take on a gimmick/project.

And btw Randall-El was a college quarterback, converted to WR, and he had no problems contributing 500 yards and 2 TDs as a 3rd WR in his rookie season. But he also had some darn good athletic gifts, speed and acceleration, agility, and just a knack for making plays. Now imagine if Randall-El were a full foot taller, but the same speed...

Wasn't Hines Ward also a college QB converted to WR?

Matt Jones is a football player, a leader, and a great athlete and unlike many other workout warriors was highly productive in college. Good coaches can figure out how to use guys like these and adapt their systems so that they are productive. I would like to see us grab him, I'm sure Linehan can figure out how to use him.

I understand the concerns alot of you have, however...Matt Jones isnt just this "WORKOUT WARRIOR." He has the athletic abilities, the size, speed, etc. but thats NOT ALL!!! He knows how to play football. He chose football over basketball. He played QB because he was the best offensive weapon on the team, why not make him the leader of the team if he can throw a football? He can clearly play football and take hits if you have seen the Senior Bowl from this year.

In all seriousness, what happened to Larry Shannon. I also remember he was like 6'5 and ran a 4.4. I remember he was a reeeeeaaaaal long shot and most didn't really expect him to become that great, but the potential was there due to his size/speed that it was like "you never know". So since he didn't play much before gettig cut, does anyone remember what he did so bad? Hands, seperation, converting track speed to football speed, route running ... what was it that did him in?

Back
Top Bottom