Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Matt Jones worthy of the #18?

njFinsForever said:
totally agree, there is no way we are going to the superbowl after last season, we may squeeze into playoffs, but even that is a long shot...you draft players that will help in the future, cuz after all we are rebuilding

Ok and you dont think Matt Jones can help in the long run??? Sure were not making it to the Superbowl this year but we still have guys like Chambers, Mcmichael, Booker, JT, Zach Thomas, etc. Theyre all great players that will help us if our team is ready..Matt Jones would be an instant impact and ALSO a impact in the long run. I dont understand your logic when you guys say you want a safe pick for the long run...how bout offensive impact for the longrun...he would be considered rebuilding still, we lost Boston.

Just because he isnt filling a dire need hole doesnt mean he isnt helping us rebuilding this team. He would be a major offensive threat if utilized correctly. That is something we still lack. Chambers is double teamed and the others arent threats down the field.

Phinfan31 said:
Just because he isnt filling a dire need hole doesnt mean he isnt helping us rebuilding this team. He would be a major offensive threat if utilized correctly. That is something we still lack. Chambers is double teamed and the others arent threats down the field.

The point is that no one has ever even seen him play WR in a college game. How can you be so sure that he will be the next great thing. Why not take Clayton with that pick?

Eric Crouch was not 6'6" tall with a 39.5 inch vertical and running the 40 in 4.37 seconds.

Matt Jones broke an NFL record for being the tallest player to ever record an official 40 time under 4.4 seconds. There has never been anybody that tall and that fast. And at the Senior Bowl, he didn't drop a single ball thrown his way. You wonder if he's got the agility or acceleration? Well, his vertical is almost 40 inches, which is phenomenal especially for a 6'6" man. His long jump was also good, and his 10 yard split time was among the best of the WRs at the combine. He made a nice one-handed catch in the endzone at the Senior Bowl against coverage on a deep fade route. It really was breathtaking and a nice sign of things to come.

Matt Jones has broken the number one law of realistic personnel in the NFL...that the biggger you get, the slower you get. As a WR, there is no substitute for height except speed, and there is no substitute for speed except height. There's hardly any such thing as a dominant short and slow player, plenty of dominant tall but slow ones (Keyshawn, Plaxico, soon to be Mike Williams), plenty of dominant fast but short ones (Santana Moss, Hines Ward), and a lot of guys in between.

But the closest WR in the league to Jones' combo of height and speed is Randy Moss, at 6'4" tall with sub 4.4 speed. That should be very telling.

That punter example is the worst example I've ever seen

i meant to say we should take the best player available, i never said we shouldnt take matt jones, im down for taken him IF we get the 18th pick, but getting him would def be a plus

ckparrothead said:
Eric Crouch was not 6'6" tall with a 39.5 inch vertical and running the 40 in 4.37 seconds.

Matt Jones broke an NFL record for being the tallest player to ever record an official 40 time under 4.4 seconds. There has never been anybody that tall and that fast. And at the Senior Bowl, he didn't drop a single ball thrown his way. You wonder if he's got the agility or acceleration? Well, his vertical is almost 40 inches, which is phenomenal especially for a 6'6" man. His long jump was also good, and his 10 yard split time was among the best of the WRs at the combine. He made a nice one-handed catch in the endzone at the Senior Bowl against coverage on a deep fade route. It really was breathtaking and a nice sign of things to come.

Matt Jones has broken the number one law of realistic personnel in the NFL...that the biggger you get, the slower you get. As a WR, there is no substitute for height except speed, and there is no substitute for speed except height. There's hardly any such thing as a dominant short and slow player, plenty of dominant tall but slow ones (Keyshawn, Plaxico, soon to be Mike Williams), plenty of dominant fast but short ones (Santana Moss, Hines Ward), and a lot of guys in between.

But the closest WR in the league to Jones' combo of height and speed is Randy Moss, at 6'4" tall with sub 4.4 speed. That should be very telling.

That punter example is the worst example I've ever seen

At 18 though? I agree that he is unreal, but we really have no idea how exactly he would play at WR. It just seems to me that there are better and safer players to be had at that spot.

Rather have Clayton/Williamson/Davis/Rogers

SpeedRush99 said:
Rather have Clayton/Williamson/Davis/Rogers

My point exactly. Clayton will be just as good and a lot safer IMO.

ckparrothead said:
The safer pick at #49 was Eddie Moore. The safer pick at #21 was Jamar Fletcher. They didn't turn out to be so safe. You take the best talent you can period.

No team in the entire league has the "luxury" you speak of.

Eddie Moore was a safe pick?

IMO, drafting a guy like Jones at 18 would be a huge mistake for a team like Miami. Sure everybody here wants to take the gamble, but these persons don't really think to what will happen if he bust. We would lose a high pick that we could use on a real need to take a project like that. Myself, I would not take him before late in the 2nd.

How good are Matt Jones hands? Thats the question I have about him.

At 18 though? I agree that he is unreal, but we really have no idea how exactly he would play at WR. It just seems to me that there are better and safer players to be had at that spot.

What exactly is unsafe about him? I would reckon that he is one of the safest bets in the draft. The guy could run a sub-4.4 in his sleep. If anything Randy Moss has shown us that you don't need to work all that hard when you've got the god-given physical gifts that these guys have. And Matt Jones is better at running with the ball in his hands than Randy.

The point is, the guy has sick enough physical stature and speed, as well as more than decent hands (once again, you had to see him at the Senior Bowl catch every single pass where not even savvy veteran college WRs were able to pull that off, also see him make a one handed catch in the endzone), that he will very easily be able to make an impact as a rookie, so long as the offensive coordinator uses him correctly. What can he do? He can run straight down the field REEEAL fast. He can beat just about any corner in the league for the jump ball (6'6" height plus 39.5 inches of vertical means he can literally jump up and reach a higher point than probably anyone in the league). He can run with the ball in his hands. He can easily beat the jam at the line with his acceleration and his stature.

So, you get the ball to him on slants, crossing patterns underneath zones, and a good dose of fly patterns down the field. We did the same with Chambers when Chambers was a rookie and let me tell you he was RAW coming out of college.

Matt will have multiple years to learn the nuances of route-running in the NFL, and all the while he could easily get by on that ridiculous athleticism, and decent hands.

Eddie Moore was a safe pick?

Absolutely. We needed a LB that could run fast and play in nickel situations and cover. Eddie Moore was supposed to be that guy, a very unexciting, very safe pick. Anquan Boldin was the risky pick, because of his speed.

ckparrothead said:
Absolutely. We needed a LB that could run fast and play in nickel situations and cover. Eddie Moore was supposed to be that guy, a very unexciting, very safe pick. Anquan Boldin was the risky pick, because of his speed.

I have to disagree. Eddie Moore was just as risky as Anquan Boldin. You are just fitting in a dolphin pick that was unpopular to serve your purpose. Like saying John Avery was drafted for need if you believe in drafting BPA.

Back
Top Bottom