Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line?

I'm not sure you point about slightly lower players makes sense. In the draft players are scouted and ranked by teams. There is always grey area because none of these guys have played in the league before. Favoring a key need in your calculations makes sense. You're trying to make it out like I'm saying reach for a second round tier guy when the reality I'm saying if you have the choice between a first round ol guy and someone else you take the ol guy because the need is that high.

Dl is not as important as keeping our qb healthy and giving him time to throw. Tua has lots of flaws and for the team to have a competitive offense we need a much better line because Tua is not good enough to carry the load alone. Also, you need to reread what I said about third down, the chiefs game was one key example but in generally our third down conversion rate went way down against teams with a winning record. So looking at the season long percentage doesn't tell the real story. You need to look at game by game. The story those stats tell is that miami has an injury prone line that fails at pass protection against good teams. We have not picked up anyone on the interior line that solves that problem.
Players and positions have different draft values. Typically guards and centers do not have the same value, especially in the first round, as WR's, pass rushers and DTs. Not to mention quarterbacks and left tackles. That's why Grier and other GM's often choose to take LTs, WRs, pass rushers and DL in the first round. These are impact positions.

I'm convinced that it isn't how high or where you draft offensive linemen, it's how that player is coached and developed. Not a coincidence that a new OL coach found the right position and motivation for Austin Jackson. It doesn't hurt that Barry knows Mcdaniel's system better than the previous OL coaches and can identify players who can work well in that system.

Christian Wilkins is by far the best player we have to replace and haven't. He was a better and more impactful player than any IOL Miami has ever drafted outside of Dwight Stephenson. Unless we draft Joe Alt, Fautanu or the Penn State tackle the success of our OL is going to depend on veterans staying healthy and the improvement in year 2 of the Butch Barry era. If we don't get a really good DT, we're going to be run on all game, every game, If for any reason our two best pass rushers aren't ready to go when the season starts we'll be gashed by passing offenses.

I like Graham Barton as I think he's the best OL in our draft range, but am pretty sure that if you matched him up against Byron Murphy, Jared Verse or Johnny Newton it would be advantage DL most of the time. So I don't know how you can characterize that as Barton or Mims/Guyton/Latham being a "slightly lower ranked player"

We don't know what the Dolphins grades are on any players but I think we're going to have a chance to draft one of the top DTs or EDGE players in this draft because of all of the QBs and offensive players that will go 1-20. That's the point of the draft. Add the best, most impactful players you can to your roster.

Players and positions have different draft values. Typically guards and centers do not have the same value, especially in the first round, as WR's, pass rushers and DTs. Not to mention quarterbacks and left tackles. That's why Grier and other GM's often choose to take LTs, WRs, pass rushers and DL in the first round. These are impact positions.

I'm convinced that it isn't how high or where you draft offensive linemen, it's how that player is coached and developed. Not a coincidence that a new OL coach found the right position and motivation for Austin Jackson. It doesn't hurt that Barry knows Mcdaniel's system better than the previous OL coaches and can identify players who can work well in that system.

Christian Wilkins is by far the best player we have to replace and haven't. He was a better and more impactful player than any IOL Miami has ever drafted outside of Dwight Stephenson. Unless we draft Joe Alt, Fautanu or the Penn State tackle the success of our OL is going to depend on veterans staying healthy and the improvement in year 2 of the Butch Barry era. If we don't get a really good DT, we're going to be run on all game, every game, If for any reason our two best pass rushers aren't ready to go when the season starts we'll be gashed by passing offenses.

I like Graham Barton as I think he's the best OL in our draft range, but am pretty sure that if you matched him up against Byron Murphy, Jared Verse or Johnny Newton it would be advantage DL most of the time. So I don't know how you can characterize that as Barton or Mims/Guyton/Latham being a "slightly lower ranked player"

We don't know what the Dolphins grades are on any players but I think we're going to have a chance to draft one of the top DTs or EDGE players in this draft because of all of the QBs and offensive players that will go 1-20. That's the point of the draft. Add the best, most impactful players you can to your roster.

See I think Jackson powers Johnson will be there and he's what we really need. Center is still our biggest need because the guy we picked up cant pass protect. Also it would mean we can move eich to third on the depth chart for center because if I have to watch one more bad eich snap flying over tuas head I'm going to have a stroke.

9. Dalton Risner, G​

2023 team: Minnesota Vikings | Age in 2024 season: 29

Risner's pass block win rate of 95.5% ranked fifth among guards in 2023, and he allowed two sacks on the season. He can anchor in pass protection and displays a strong and rugged play style as a run-blocker. Gap run teams should take a look at his tape.

9. Dalton Risner, G​

2023 team: Minnesota Vikings | Age in 2024 season: 29

Risner's pass block win rate of 95.5% ranked fifth among guards in 2023, and he allowed two sacks on the season. He can anchor in pass protection and displays a strong and rugged play style as a run-blocker. Gap run teams should take a look at his tape.

The Athletic’s Alec Lewis reported this week, “The Vikings’ left guard situation still seems a bit uncertain. Blake Brandel is the leader in the clubhouse. The Vikings could pursue another option in the draft. They could also sign a free agent like Dalton Risner, who has switched agents since the beginning of free agency and is represented by Drew Rosenhaus.”

Rosenhaus is widely regarded as one of the best agents in professional sports, and Risner obviously is hoping that he can help to land a strong deal with an NFL team. The left guard has been frustrated by the fact that this deal has not been secured to this point.

:ffic:

See I think Jackson powers Johnson will be there and he's what we really need. Center is still our biggest need because the guy we picked up cant pass protect. Also it would mean we can move eich to third on the depth chart for center because if I have to watch one more bad eich snap flying over tuas head I'm going to have a stroke.
I have to give McD and Grier the benefit of the doubt, they moved pretty quickly to snag Brewer. They could have chosen other FA centers but they saw something in him they liked. I don't think they're drafting a center, at least high in the draft

I sure hope not. We need at least one more legit Guard starter, or we will definitely see Eich at some point for extended playing time.
I see JPJ as a legit RG starter from Day 1, and gives us a legit #2 C at the same time. He was mostly an RG before 2023. If Brewer ever gets hurt, I do not want to see Eich at C again. JPJ at RG, and let all the veteran JAGs battle it out for LG.

I have to give McD and Grier the benefit of the doubt, they moved pretty quickly to snag Brewer. They could have chosen other FA centers but they saw something in him they liked. I don't think they're drafting a center, at least high in the draft
I agree that brewer is a good pickup but look at his pass protection stats. He had issues there even when tannehil wasn't starting. Brewer fits our needs but only as the beginning of a strategy that involves drafting at least one better pass protector. Also by drafting a center and moving brewer elsewhere in the ioline we can just move him back to center if jpj goes down. In this situation eich is neither starting nor the backup center. All is as it should be.

I agree that brewer is a good pickup but look at his pass protection stats. He had issues there even when tannehil wasn't starting. Brewer fits our needs but only as the beginning of a strategy that involves drafting at least one better pass protector. Also by drafting a center and moving brewer elsewhere in the ioline we can just move him back to center if jpj goes down. In this situation eich is neither starting nor the backup center. All is as it should be.
So they signed Brewer, a center, with plans to move him to guard so they could draft a center in the first round? Doesn't make much sense. If you think Brewer has pass pro issues at center, is he supposed to be a better pass protector at guard? Especially since he's played another position for most of his career.

They spent 7 mil a year on a very athletic lineman whose best position is center. That's the position he's going to play for Miami.

So they signed Brewer, a center, with plans to move him to guard so they could draft a center in the first round? Doesn't make much sense. If you think Brewer has pass pro issues at center, is he supposed to be a better pass protector at guard? Especially since he's played another position for most of his career.

They spent 7 mil a year on a very athletic lineman whose best position is center. That's the position he's going to play for Miami.
He's going to have pass protection issues regardless. That means we have a dire need for two guys to make up for that. As for if he starts center, he can play guard as can jpj. I'm good with either of them under center. Also being able to move one of them if we have injuries is huge. Eich can't snap to save his life.

He's going to have pass protection issues regardless. That means we have a dire need for two guys to make up for that. As for if he starts center, he can play guard as can jpj. I'm good with either of them under center. Also being able to move one of them if we have injuries is huge. Eich can't snap to save his life.
I just don't get this logic. Brewer can't pass protect so we're going to put him at guard where he also can't pass protect, and where he's barely played, and then bring in a rookie to play next to him who will make everything alright? and if that doesn't work we'll have these two guys just switch positions?

Don't you think that if the Dolphins intended to draft a center they would have spent the $7 mil per on a better guard than Brewer or at least one who had much more experience at guard?

Not even close. Miami picked up the best available center at a reasonable price. That center is good at guarding the run and hasn't been hurt much if at all. However that center has trouble guarding on pass plays. Also the two other interior o line men for the phins aren't very good. Therein lies the hole.

I see JPJ as a legit RG starter from Day 1, and gives us a legit #2 C at the same time. He was mostly an RG before 2023. If Brewer ever gets hurt, I do not want to see Eich at C again. JPJ at RG, and let all the veteran JAGs battle it out for LG.
That would be a brilliant move if JPJ is available.

Rank

Dalton Risner

Dalton Risner

OG · Age: 29

Risner never found the market he wanted last offseason before joining the Vikings as a capable midseason replacement at guard.

Back
Top Bottom