Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line? | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line?

Rank

Connor Williams

Connor Williams

OL · Age: 27

Williams would have been one of the most highly sought-after interior-line free agents if not for a torn ACL late in the 2023 season.

You can put me in the category of not JPJ or Barton...

I think that is a double down play, a defensive move.

The 'phins signed Brewer to a three year deal.. they like him. ...and he's too small to really play Guard full time.

You don't draft another Center... who could play Guard there... that's doubling down.

I think you draft the Tackle who can play Guard. That's the move that allow Brewer to play his best position and the rookie to play his best position.

I haven't read through this thread, so I may be repeating something. But IMO we're done with the OL until the draft. We will try to bring in another OL during the draft and/or add a another OL after June 1st.

As for the draft itself, I think we'd take one of the top Ts if he fell to us. Barton would be an option, especially in a small trade down, if they think he can play T. I think he could play all 5 spots although his best position is G. I personally would be happy with JPJ b/c I see an injury at C as the biggest risk to our season (Tua also but I think the risk there is lower b/c the QB can protect himself more easily than a C). If they settle on having Eich be the only back-up C then IMO that would be a stupid risk to take.

I understand the "premium position" thinking where you rarely take an IOL in the first, but I think slavish adherence to that thinking will leave holes in your roster that make you vulnerable. If you really believe your window is now then sometimes you have to adjust your thinking.

What I expect will happen is that they'll take a T or Edge player in the first and then look to add a back-up C with one of our late picks.

I haven't read through this thread, so I may be repeating something. But IMO we're done with the OL until the draft. We will try to bring in another OL during the draft and/or add a another OL after June 1st.

As for the draft itself, I think we'd take one of the top Ts if he fell to us. Barton would be an option, especially in a small trade down, if they think he can play T. I think he could play all 5 spots although his best position is G. I personally would be happy with JPJ b/c I see an injury at C as the biggest risk to our season (Tua also but I think the risk there is lower b/c the QB can protect himself more easily than a C). If they settle on having Eich be the only back-up C then IMO that would be a stupid risk to take.

I agree with the bolded bit because I think Miami's #1 priority has to be getting out in front of the Terron Armstead problem. He's going to play (part of) this 2024 season but he's retiring after that and Miami needs to have an option ready to step in.

Finding a LT-in-training who can spend 2024 playing Guard, similar to how Laremy Tunsil kicked in to LG as a rookie next to Branden Albert, would be the ideal scenario.

I understand the "premium position" thinking where you rarely take an IOL in the first, but I think slavish adherence to that thinking will leave holes in your roster that make you vulnerable. If you really believe your window is now then sometimes you have to adjust your thinking.

Miami has actually already used several high picks on non-premium positions:

2019 - R1 - #13 - DT - Wilkins
2020 - R2 - #39 - OG - Hunt
2020 - R2 - #56 - DT - Davis
2021 - R2 - #36 - FS - Holland

The pattern that's emerged with these picks is that 1 of 2 things tends to happen.

(A)
The player is good, but they leave in FA where more money can be found than what the Dolphins are willing to offer for a non-premium position. Miami's just not going to pay $110M for a DT or $100M for a G. So even the good players can turn out to be 1-contract guys.

You obviously can't sustain a core if you aren't willing to re-sign your own draft picks but you're stuck because you know you won't be willing to re-sign non-premium players at landmark prices. This is THE PROBLEM with drafting non-premium positions up high in the draft.

This pattern leads inevitably to another hole forming 4-5 years down the line and you've really gotten yourself nowhere. You end up with a rotating cast of players with big holes always needing to be filled every year.

(B)
The alternative is that a player sometimes just isn't that great. Take Raekwon Davis as an example. He didn't do enough to earn a place within Miami's core and ended up signing with the Colts for a small 2-yr deal.

Another big reason to stick with premium positions up high is that they tend to have more versatility:
>> A big WR might be able to provide depth, fill a specific role or kick inside to slot if he isn't great outside.
>> A boundary CB may be able to kick in to Nickel or even Safety if he's unreliable on an island
>> An OT who can't cut it might be able to kick inside to G while the opposite is rarely true.

Moving forward, even the 4th guy (Holland) has to play his way into a long-term deal if he's to stay in Miami. The Dolphins could easily lose Holland to FA if he plays well and earns the attention of other bidders. Miami is unlikely to want to give a FS (another non-premium position) a landmark deal.

Furthermore, with other expensive players on the roster (i.e. Tua, Tyreek, Chubb, and potentially Phillips & Waddle) it's not likely Miami goes out of their way to splurge on a Safety. We'll see how Miami manages their options. Phillips and Waddle should have 5th year options and the franchise tag is always available as well.

I know Miami always wants to keep its talent, but the issue with non-premium positions is that it's inevitably harder to budget for them if they earn 2nd contracts. They always turn into 2nd class priorities so-to-speak.

Last edited:
I wonder who this is? My guess is has to be Dalton Risner, because I cannot think of who is even left out there and available, unless it is Connor Williams, who I thought was hurt so badly it is unclear if he can even play:

▪ The Dolphins have maintained communication with at least one free agent guard who started for another team last season and said they might circle back to the player after the draft. The player asked not to be identified.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286450195.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
I wonder who this is? My guess is has to be Dalton Risner, because I cannot think of who is even left out there and available, unless it is Connor Williams, who I thought was hurt so badly it is unclear if he can even play:

▪ The Dolphins have maintained communication with at least one free agent guard who started for another team last season and said they might circle back to the player after the draft. The player asked not to be identified.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286450195.html#storylink=cpy
I believe it is Dalton Risner as well. He recently changed agents to Drew Rosenhaus, who is really friendly with the Dolphins FO. I believe they may be waiting for the June 1 money to make a move. Obviously it's up to Risner if he wants to wait that long but it certainly would be a nice addition.

You can put me in the category of not JPJ or Barton...

I think that is a double down play, a defensive move.

The 'phins signed Brewer to a three year deal.. they like him. ...and he's too small to really play Guard full time.

You don't draft another Center... who could play Guard there... that's doubling down.

I think you draft the Tackle who can play Guard. That's the move that allow Brewer to play his best position and the rookie to play his best position.
why are you out on Barton though? I guess you don’t think he can play OT?

I don't... I know that he is supposed to be an incredibly smart, well-coached technician... but his arms are short and he isn't an elite athlete.

He might be an NFL Tackle, but honestly, I doubt it.
Would you be ok with him at guard?

I have to give McD and Grier the benefit of the doubt, they moved pretty quickly to snag Brewer. They could have chosen other FA centers but they saw something in him they liked. I don't think they're drafting a center, at least high in the draft
Agree. Plus, they were right in their evaluation of Williams when they brought him in from Dallas and moved him from guard to center.

Grier has been questioned, sometimes fairly, for his offensive line record. But Hunt and Jackson both turned out. Eichenberg still could.

I saw today somewhere that media and fans are valuing JPJ more than teams are. This could be another Creed situation where the top C slides to late 2nd. At least out of the 1st if the reports are true.
Listen to Kyle Crabb's Locked on podcast on JPJ, Highlights
Too many snapping issues
Too many penalties
Lacking short area quickness
Second round value and probably a better RG than center at this point
Sees 8-10 better values for us, especially at #21
Likes UConn's Christian Haynes as much or more than JPJ in the second round

Listen to Kyle Crabb's Locked on podcast on JPJ, Highlights
Too many snapping issues
Too many penalties
Lacking short area quickness
Second round value and probably a better RG than center at this point
Sees 8-10 better values for us, especially at #21
Likes UConn's Christian Haynes as much or more than JPJ in the second round
FWIW ESPN has him as #32 ranked prospect, seems that if they like him, chance they could trade back to do it. Or they could just sign a guard, and then put themselves in a spot to take the BPA:

32. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon​

Height: 6-3 | Weight: 328

Few players had a more rapid ascent up the board than Powers-Johnson, who became the first player to ever win the Rimington Trophy (nation's best center) from the Pac-12. His name is fitting, as he's incredibly powerful and strong at the point of attack, with elite size for a center. Powers-Johnson is incredible in pass protection, as well; Oregon QB Bo Nix was sacked a total of five times all last season, with zero attributed to JPJ. He also allowed just two pressures in 469 pass-blocking snaps last season.

Back
Top Bottom