Is Offensive Line Now The Biggest Priority? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Offensive Line Now The Biggest Priority?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins are a team without a franchise quarterback. It's generally understood that Miami will draft one of the top quarterbacks in 2020, but it's certainly a possibility in 2019 as well.

As it stands, the offensive line is so bad that it would be hard for Dan Marino in his prime to excel here. The Dolphins have Tunsil and that's about it. So is building the offensive line now the priority? It seems like a bigger area of need than defensive line, which also needs a lot of help.

You definitely want your young quarterback to come into a situation where he isn't running for his life on every snap.

Obviously you don’t place it above getting a franchise QB but if it lines up to build up the OLine in 2019 via the draft you do it.

We absolutely tried to do this with Tannehill.

Pouncey, Martin, Thomas, Turner, Douglas, James, Albert, Incognito and Tunsil

Over the course of 6 drafts. 3 first round picks, a second round pick, 2 third round picks, a 4th round pick a big spend on LT in FA and a Good spend at guard.

Never mind the day 3 and UDFA and smaller FAs.

That is not neglect and I hate when people say we neglected the OLine.

We just failed miserably, particularly with the guys we projected to flank the center with.

But right now the group is beyond dreadful apart from the LT.

Its a top priority . . . Absolutely.

We don't have the offense to get into high scoring shootouts. D-line is thee biggest need to keep games low scoring until the offense comes around down the road.

Defense defense defense.

I'm in the camp that wants to wait until 2020 for a better QB crop. With that in mind, three positions stand out as positions of need, DL, OL and DB. I think we can get competent DB's outside of the draft so we may draft one or two DB's, they're available in every round.

I definitely think the priority should be and will be to get multiple DL and OL in this draft, so I'm expecting 2 of each. Looking at this draft, it makes the most sense to draft DL early because the talent gap is larger. There are good OL prospects in every round of the draft this year, so we may not see it early, but I expect to see a couple OL drafted somewhere in the draft.

I think both O line and D lines equally. Couple of trade downs, at least 2 picks for each line, possibly three. Throw in a couple of DB's and that'll about do it.
You know we are going to have to draft a right tackle, we will probably roll with Davis somewhere, and that leaves a G or C still to be picked. Dline scheme fits; from what I read we don't really have those types on the roster.

Hoping they sign that G that just got released. They need to start plugging some of these holes with talent, can't even fill all the holes on these lines in 2 drafts.

Both our lines are a priority along with QB but we're thin everywhere. Can Drake be THE RB? we still need a #2 Corner also.

I think both O line and D lines equally. Couple of trade downs, at least 2 picks for each line, possibly three. Throw in a couple of DB's and that'll about do it.
You know we are going to have to draft a right tackle, we will probably roll with Davis somewhere, and that leaves a G or C still to be picked. Dline scheme fits; from what I read we don't really have those types on the roster.
Davis could play RT, but I think he's a fringe starter at this point. Maybe he's a player who will make some improvements under the new coaching staff. I think that's a big part of what's been missing regarding the offensive line as other posters have pointed out the resources the team has spent there.

Without a QB to protect, what's the issue? :ponder:

Once we go all in to get that Franchise QB, it feels a little late to be worried about an OL? I don't know about all of you, but I put locks on my front door before I hang that expensive art in my house.

I think both building both lines is equally important. The issue is having the ammunition to load up. We may end up having to give up draft picks next year to move up and could potentially be without our 2nd and/or 3rd round pick with the #1 going to QB as well. In that case they will have to turn to FA in 2020 and spend the excess cash they will have next season.

We can't fix both lines in one year, let alone the entire team. If their plan is 2020 QB, then take advantage of a deep DL class this year and maybe sprinkle in a mid-round OL or two to get ready for 2020.

The can roll with Davis at RT for a year which would give them a look at what he can do at that spot and also gauge whether or not he can handle it moving forward with a new QB. I would not draft a guard (short of Quenton Nelson types) at 13 if a top notch DT or DE is sitting there. I don't see any nelson types this year.

They can also get by with Kilgore for a year and fill in at the guard spot. See if better coaching and a power scheme helps Isaac Asiata. it could very well happen.

We are set at LT but we may need 4 new players next to him. Center being very important as well in the 2020 season. Could be a high pick. Not much available in FA for "under 30 year old" types.

Draft a 3-down DT or DE in round 1 this year and then see if we can land another run-stuffing edge player in round 2. It's between strong side DE and NT in round 2 with the edge given to the BPA. Next comes CB.

This year could very well be very defensive heavy with DE, DE, NT, CB. Get the D rolling as we know our offense is going to be screwed this year anyway without a QB.

2020 make a decision at RT. If we still need one then maybe you go after La'el Collins in FA since we may be lacking a 1, 2 or 3.

I think both building both lines is equally important. The issue is having the ammunition to load up. We may end up having to give up draft picks next year to move up and could potentially be without our 2nd and/or 3rd round pick with the #1 going to QB as well. In that case they will have to turn to FA in 2020 and spend the excess cash they will have next season.

We can't fix both lines in one year, let alone the entire team. If their plan is 2020 QB, then take advantage of a deep DL class this year and maybe sprinkle in a mid-round OL or two to get ready for 2020.

The can roll with Davis at RT for a year which would give them a look at what he can do at that spot and also gauge whether or not he can handle it moving forward with a new QB. I would not draft a guard (short of Quenton Nelson types) at 13 if a top notch DT or DE is sitting there. I don't see any nelson types this year.

They can also get by with Kilgore for a year and fill in at the guard spot. See if better coaching and a power scheme helps Isaac Asiata. it could very well happen.

We are set at LT but we may need 4 new players next to him. Center being very important as well in the 2020 season. Could be a high pick. Not much available in FA for "under 30 year old" types.

Draft a 3-down DT or DE in round 1 this year and then see if we can land another run-stuffing edge player in round 2. It's between strong side DE and NT in round 2 with the edge given to the BPA. Next comes CB.

This year could very well be very defensive heavy with DE, DE, NT, CB. Get the D rolling as we know our offense is going to be screwed this year anyway without a QB.

2020 make a decision at RT. If we still need one then maybe you go after La'el Collins in FA since we may be lacking a 1, 2 or 3.
This is actually what I would do. Although I would explore a trade-up for Haskins, who I really think would fit this offense. That looks pretty unlikely, though, with so many teams needing a qb ahead of Miami. I would include Oakland and Tampa Bay on that list, along with the New York Giants and Denver. Not to mention it looks like Arizona will take Murray at #1.

The strength of the draft is the defensive line and I would like to see Miami really take advantage of that. Maybe the team will have more success with mid-round offensive linemen under the new coaching staff. Haven't hit on the o-line, except with early picks over a long period of time.

Back
Top Bottom