Is playing Phillips at LB a huge mistake? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is playing Phillips at LB a huge mistake?

I wouldn't worry about Phillips. He's going to get his bell rung once and decide, yet again, that football isn't for him. He'll quit on this team like he quit once before. Wasted pick.
Are you saying he quit on UCLA? Wasn't it a UCLA rule that said he couldn't play with a history of 3+ concusions instead of it being his choice? Maybe my understanding of the situation is off.

Phillips will be on the outside for the most part. This is a hybrid defense anyway instead of the traditional 3-4. He'll be fine.

Are you saying he quit on UCLA? Wasn't it a UCLA rule that said he couldn't play with a history of 3+ concusions instead of it being his choice? Maybe my understanding of the situation is off.
A toll of several injuries and coaching issues lead to the retirement. Posters (not referring to you) don't want to do research just blame concussions. It's lazy posting.

The problems started soon afterward. An ankle limited him to seven games as a true freshman. That offseason, a scooter accident injured his wrist so severely that it required two surgeries to fix. Add the stress of a coaching change, and Phillips’ attitude toward the game shifted. He started becoming the last player in the building and the first one out.

“I wasn’t really invested in football,” Phillips said.

When he suffered his third diagnosed concussion a month into his sophomore season, football seemed done with him, too. Phillips medically retired in October 2018 because of the injuries’ collective toll. He started taking music classes at a California community college.

Dude is a pass rusher. Period. Not sure where this LB talk is coming from...

Dude is a pass rusher. Period. Not sure where this LB talk is coming from...
Because he played LB in college, prior to coming to Miami, and because in Flo's hybrid defense, there is not the clear delineation between the two, as with non-hybrid bases.

I hope that made sense. This is not a "typical" defense. Edge responsibilities include elements of both conventional positions.

Understanding this is essential in any debate about player usage, and the scheme in general.

Did I miss the presser where he was announced as LB?

From Phillips himself: he retired from UCLA because one more concussion and he would be forced to retire. So, Phillips left UCLA and switched to the Hurricanes. His story is pretty interesting and not what I thought at all before hearing the truth.
I didnt know he played Linebacker at UCLA. That little tidbit answered one question that was nagging me "How do you get so many concussions playing Edge"?
In one of Peter King's reports it was stated that the real reason he "retired" was issues with the UCLA coaches. But as Digital stated, Phillips couldn't say that without being labeled toxic so he sticks with the concussion story.

Back
Top Bottom