Is playing Phillips at LB a huge mistake? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is playing Phillips at LB a huge mistake?

Did I miss the presser where he was announced as LB?
That is how he is listed on the roster.

Again, bear in mind, typical labels don't necessarily apply in Flo's defense.

There is also can be a big advantage in listing a player one way, as opposed to another, on the off chance that a franchise tag is applied in the future.

That is how he is listed on the roster.

Again, bear in mind, typical labels don't necessarily apply in Flo's defense.

There is also can be a big advantage in listing a player one way, as opposed to another, on the off chance that a franchise tag is applied in the future.
First paragraph. Thanks hadn't seen.
Second paragraph. You're preaching to the choir. I've been posting the same since we hired Flo.
Third paragraph. I agree in principle but see that nonsense getting phased out as player positions are not really set in lots of schemes now. This has already begun to be challenged.

First paragraph. Thanks hadn't seen.
Second paragraph. You're preaching to the choir. I've been posting the same since we hired Flo.
Third paragraph. I agree in principle but see that nonsense getting phased out as player positions are not really set in lots of schemes now. This has already begun to be challenged.
It has been challenged (not all that sucessfully), and IMO should be but there is no downside for the organization to consider and do it. I think comp picks were one way to try to mitigate the situation.

I've always felt that in most cases, a franchise tag on a player just creates hard feelings for both parties.

It has been challenged (not all that sucessfully), and IMO should be but there is no downside for the organization to consider and do it. I think comp picks were one way to try to mitigate the situation.

I've always felt that in most cases, a franchise tag on a player just creates hard feelings for both parties.
I'm surprised the tag wasn't negotiated out this time around. I think the next CBA it's gone

Linebacker is a brutal position. You are constantly hitting targets head on. Its nothing like playing Edge, at all.

Using your own logic; if Tom Brady can't make it as a Running Back he shouldn't play football? Just seeking clarification?

Also of note: Phillips is officially listed on the roster as "Linebacker" and he is also practicing as Linebacker. Watch his Rookie camp video.

If we need to worry about it, then he was a bad pick.

Regardless of context, this might be the best advice I have read on finheaven.

Literally the story of my life... literally.

Now back to the topic... Phillips is the embodiment of a tweener. Played LB at UCLA and DE at the U. He fits Flores scheme perfectly.

Just like Lawson there will be some plays where he drops back in coverage, probably even more since he has better coverage skills than Lawson, but for the most part he will rush the passer.

Phillips suffered no concussions playing Edge exclusively for The Hurricanes and he dominated.
Why risk playing him again at Linebacker/Edge like his UCLA days?
Not sure one position is much higher risk for concussions then the other? And I’m sure they will set him up for success. Moving him around is a great way to both keep the offense off balance and also figure out where he’s most effective in the NFL?

Literally the story of my life... literally.

Now back to the topic... Phillips is the embodiment of a tweener. Played LB at UCLA and DE at the U. He fits Flores scheme perfectly.

Just like Lawson there will be some plays where he drops back in coverage, probably even more since he has better coverage skills than Lawson, but for the most part he will rush the passer.
I'm looking forward to seeing how he stuffs the run on the way to the QB.

Phillips was drafted to play multiple roles in our defense. I suspect when the season is over he will have played standing up as much as he does hand down. When we go odd most the time he will be up on the Edge, when we go even he will have hand down most the time (unless we go with an Elephant type look like SF used Charles Haley back in the day.
I really dont think you draft a guy at 18 overall unless you are sure he's ready to play wherever you put him.

Back
Top Bottom