Is Ross Insane Or Is There A Bigger Plan In The Works? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Ross Insane Or Is There A Bigger Plan In The Works?

MrChadRico

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
After sleeping on the news that Grier would be the new GM and looking at the list of coaches he's interviewing, I am very confused and the more I reflect on yesterday's press conference, the more I feel Ross may have lied straight to our faces....

To start the press conference Ross said he was going to start fresh, with a new structure of the front office. This sounded great, as we have never really rebuilt the front office, for the last decade, one scapegoat after the next would be fired and blamed for the failure. Only to wake up on the day after black Friday to discover, like clockwork a portion of the front office would remain for the following season to fail yet again.

Here's where it gets confusing; "It's the definition of insanity", Ross said yesterday . "To do the same thing over and over," and in the very next sentence announces that he will once again fire part of the front office and keep a portion of it in tact...... Am I missing something here? I guess Ross is insane because he clearly can not see he is doing the exact same thing once again.

After looking at the coaches were interviewing, it's clear were not in the running for a head coach with any experience like Bruce Ariens or Mike McCarthy. So it made me wonder, is Ross really this inept or is there a greater scheme being put it play here.

We currently have a big dead cap hit coming next season via Tannehills contract and we do not have a high draft choice or a deep roster to attract good coaches to come here today. Could Ross, maybe planning on hiring a one year, stop gap coach for 2019 with and eye on trading our older players and building for 2020, where inevitably we would have good draft capital, good cap space and be a more attractive destination for a great coach? Would this also mean Grier is also a one year stop gap GM?

Its confusing to say the least, I just want to have a team like Ross described yesterday. A team that's a contender, year in and year out. What do I know, maybe like Walter Freys daughters, theres a hot one in there somewhere, after all the lay over front office executives maybe Grier is the hot one.

Im sure these questions will be answered in the next few weeks. Let's not get all paranoid with possible theories that only a few people really have the answers to.
I am hopeful that in the long term this might be good but there is definitely gonna be some short term discomfort.

Are you missing something? I'm not sure, but my take on him definitely insanity was drafting some here, getting older version there. Meaning we are always plugging holes with older version to try to make a run.my belief is that he wants to stop doing this year after year and draft our teams. He also said this may take a few years.
With good coaching we can teach the draftees to succeed. And they are searching for that one HC to do it right now.

I think Ross is a good guy and the stadium looks absolutely amazing now. He’s made some big splash signings that were fun as fans but man he seems completely lost as an owner of a football team. It’s gonna be awhile before we are even somewhat relevant again imo

I think Ross is a good guy and the stadium looks absolutely amazing now. He’s made some big splash signings that were fun as fans but man he seems completely lost as an owner of a football team. It’s gonna be awhile before we are even somewhat relevant again imo
It's been almost 20 years now. What's a few more at this point? Low expectations while hoping for improvement is a lot better than the BS we've dealt with lately.

After sleeping on the news that Grier would be the new GM and looking at the list of coaches he's interviewing, I am very confused and the more I reflect on yesterday's press conference, the more I feel Ross may have lied straight to our faces....

To start the press conference Ross said he was going to start fresh, with a new structure of the front office. This sounded great, as we have never really rebuilt the front office, for the last decade, one scapegoat after the next would be fired and blamed for the failure. Only to wake up on the day after black Friday to discover, like clockwork a portion of the front office would remain for the following season to fail yet again.

Here's where it gets confusing; "It's the definition of insanity", Ross said yesterday . "To do the same thing over and over," and in the very next sentence announces that he will once again fire part of the front office and keep a portion of it in tact...... Am I missing something here? I guess Ross is insane because he clearly can not see he is doing the exact same thing once again.

After looking at the coaches were interviewing, it's clear were not in the running for a head coach with any experience like Bruce Ariens or Mike McCarthy. So it made me wonder, is Ross really this inept or is there a greater scheme being put it play here.

We currently have a big dead cap hit coming next season via Tannehills contract and we do not have a high draft choice or a deep roster to attract good coaches to come here today. Could Ross, maybe planning on hiring a one year, stop gap coach for 2019 with and eye on trading our older players and building for 2020, where inevitably we would have good draft capital, good cap space and be a more attractive destination for a great coach? Would this also mean Grier is also a one year stop gap GM?

Its confusing to say the least, I just want to have a team like Ross described yesterday. A team that's a contender, year in and year out. What do I know, maybe like Walter Freys daughters, theres a hot one in there somewhere, after all the lay over front office executives maybe Grier is the hot one.

It's going to take time...we are going full rebuild here finally...so get ready for 1-2 full on losing seasons....as for team structure, Grier isn't just the GM anymore...he runs the football side of the Dolphins...he answers to Ross and no on else...He will hire a head coach who answers to himself...Grier has had a couple really decent drafts...which is what has bought him this promotion...

I read that in the past had Ross listened to Grier the Phins would have been in a better position from his perspective. Apparently that was a big motivation for hiring him.

Last edited:
What is it that makes a good owner? Honestly, from a fan’a perspective it’s winning. Everybody points to Robert Kraft as the model owner and to the New England Patriots as the model franchise because they’re winning. We all know their winning ways will come to an end when Brady and/or Belichick retire.

So how do you win consistently in the NFL? By hiring a good coach and acquiring a good QB. The GM doesn’t matter. How do you that? Honestly, I think it’s pure luck. Not a single soul on this planet can predict how a coach will perform at his next stop. You can probably identify some candidates which are not suited to be a head coach but that still leaves you with lots of other guys. Who would have thought that Doug Pederson wins the Super Bowl with Nick Foles and Chuck Pagano gets fired with Andrew Luck as his QB? When Arians was head coach in Arizona, their GM Steve Keim was considered one of the best in the business. Now they just fired their first year coach and will pick 1st in the draft? How is that?

As fans we just have to hope it works out this time but I think you can’t blame Ross for trying. He’s a good owner because he’s willing to spend to win. Everything else will have to fall into place but there’s very few things he can do about that.

I think Ross finally realizes or accepts that the team needs to start over from a roster perspective. That’s what he means by the definition of insanity remark.

Ross finally has come to terms that his “win now” push on the organization has been short sighted and is not and was not the answer.

As far as a coach with high NFL credentials, we’ll that is likely asking too much. He now needs a coach than can lead the franchise through the darkness that is to come, staying positive and staying the course. Good with young players. Developmental type and strong leader.

If said coach is still around in 2-3 years for the supposedly planned afterglow, then that’s merely a bonus.

Actually I think the real reason behind this rebuild strategy is Ross wants to save some money. Going young to me is code for cheap contracts. This is a Florida Marlins strategy. Lower your expenses and rely on your cut of the TV money

This year's playoffs are filled to the brim with head coaches who had or are having early success as first-timers. I'm not buying McCarthy or Arians as superior candidates.

How many times is a thread like this going to get started? You say McCarthy is experienced. How many teams has he coached? Arians? What’s he ever done? Pagano same.

It’s okay to be weary of hiring first time coaches but even the guys above started off somewhere before you knew them.

Actually I think the real reason behind this rebuild strategy is Ross wants to save some money. Going young to me is code for cheap contracts. This is a Florida Marlins strategy. Lower your expenses and rely on your cut of the TV money
I didn't get that at all from the presser.

Back
Top Bottom