Is The Most Recent Mel Kiper Mock Draft Plus The Palm Beach Post Worrisome? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is The Most Recent Mel Kiper Mock Draft Plus The Palm Beach Post Worrisome?

Almost no one runs this in the NFL any longer.

It's 'old technology'.
Well, then how about an o-line that can run the ball down an opponent's throat when they know you're going to run, and an o-line that can give a QB all day to throw the ball? Why is it that we see other QBs with lots of time to look for an open WR? Why is it that most teams can convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, but Miami struggles?

When Miami's Front Office was looking for "old-school" o-linemen, they did fine. But after Philbin came in and the linemen had to be good at zone-blocking, now the o-line has become a problem. Personally, I'd prefer smashmouth over finesse since football is a physical game. However, since ZB is so prevalent these days, it appears that the problem lies in Miami's Front Office when it comes to o-line issues.

I hate to disagree with you regarding your comment that Kiper is a “National treasure”. Your view of what a national treasure is must be very low if you believe Kiper is a national treasure. Because the vast percentage of the American population have no idea who Mel Kiper is.

He has been able to make a decent living being wrong more than right in regards to players in the draft but that certainly doesn’t make him a, “National treasure”.
Nothing wrong with a civil disagreement 72.

Huge fan of the draft. Very unique to the NFL.

My high school days were shaped by the launch of the ESPN/MTV generation. Kiper created his own opportunity and successfully ran with it. I don't get too caught up in his accuracy over the years. I do appreciate his entertainment and sports media contribution.

True, in today's instant click environment, my standards have been lowered to accommodate.

As for the Miami draft, be bold not predictable, do damage...

Well, then how about an o-line that can run the ball down an opponent's throat when they know you're going to run, and an o-line that can give a QB all day to throw the ball? Why is it that we see other QBs with lots of time to look for an open WR? Why is it that most teams can convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, but Miami struggles?

When Miami's Front Office was looking for "old-school" o-linemen, they did fine. But after Philbin came in and the linemen had to be good at zone-blocking, now the o-line has become a problem. Personally, I'd prefer smashmouth over finesse since football is a physical game. However, since ZB is so prevalent these days, it appears that the problem lies in Miami's Front Office when it comes to o-line issues.

The days of smashmouth football are over. Most winning offenses tend to run more shotgun than direct snaps... the game is wider and faster... lots of motion.
These power blocking linemen don't have the feet for modern ball.
Down in the college ranks, a slower lineman can survive in a ZB scheme because his opponents are slow too. The NFL is a major step up and a lot of these phone booth players do not translate.

For an example, do you remember Uluave from last year. Several old school fans just got lit up because he 'won those one on ones, and EVERYBODY KNOWS that's what's important'!!!

Except... it isn't. Uluave was slow... and cut... and I dont think any other team picked him up either. In the 50s or 60s, he would have been good... now, not so much.

Fast spread teams with lots of motion... won't run well in short yardage. That's baked in.

Kiper has about the same percent of being correct as an intern on the weather channel.

I'd go w/ the intern over mkj ... they are working with actual data.

Anyone who thinks straight line speed in minimal clothing correlates to anything is worse than a lemming.

I like this Barton kid from what I have read. He is described as an "athelete", but most important, most important, is I am reading he plays with an attitude. All the mock pundits describe him as a brawler. Last good Oline we had was when we had a brawler on the line, that one being Richie Incognito. If this Barton kid can play 3 positions on the Oline (even LT!) and he plays nasty as described, how do you not pick him? This does not mean Connor Williams, or Robert hunt has to go anywhere if we can reach a deal with them. If this kid is "good" at more than one position on the OLine, seems a no-brainer pick to me.

Remember, "Analysis can lead to Paralysis!"

There is so much talent in this draft, if the Dolphins seriously take a center at 21 they better project him to be an all decades team type selection.

Do you remember the year like 10 years ago or so where Mayock had like 11 of the first 12 picks correct. That was the most accurate I remember a mock being from a TV guy.
Then he went to the raiders to become the GM and missed on nearly all of his picks in real life! LOL

Kiper has the Dolphins taking a center, from Duke. Palm Beach Post is now out with an article pumping the same guy (2nd link below), although they position him as a guy that can play all 3 spots on the OL (the swiss army knife thing worries me I like knowing what a player is really good at as opposed to taking the risk of moving them around like Eichenberg who was the same type of thing).

Which means we don't resign Connor Williams. At the same time, we are hearing they won't be able to pay up to retain Rob Hunt. This would mean we roll into the season relying on a rookie at center, who may or may not turn out good, and a somewhat on the cheap replacement for Rob Hunt (or Eichenberg) at guard, and likely Terron Armstead at LT, who will of course be hurt all of the time. This, with the way our offense runs and what it needs to be successful, is a recipe for disaster (and getting Tua hurt again). I hope this situation does not come to pass. I think it is nuts to walk from both Williams and Rob Hunt, who are probably our two best OL (availability counts). The other thing I find scary is sometimes these mock drafts are based on what the pundit is hearing from sources. So maybe Kiper knows something? Or the Palm Beach Post reporter is hearing something? Where there is smoke there is fire, clearly the Dolphins are poking around this kid. On the other hand, pundits just need to get these things out in print, and they don't really think through each teams specific issues, and can be wildly off base. Or maybe I am nuts, and it is fine to let both Williams and Rob Hunt go, and spend the money elsewhere? I guess we will get some clues leading into the draft based on what the Dolphins decide to do with Hunt and Williams?

21. Miami Dolphins

Graham Barton, C, Duke

I noted in my debut mock that the Dolphins have decisions to make with free agent offensive linemen Connor Williams and Robert Hunt. The organization might get priced out of bringing them back. Miami cleared some cap space when it released edge rusher Emmanuel Ogbah and cornerback Xavien Howard, but it has other holes to fill, too.

With Barton, the Dolphins would get a veteran lineman who spent the past three seasons as the Blue Devils' starting left tackle. He started five games at center as a true freshman in 2020, though, and that's where I think he could be a rookie starter. At 6-5, Barton is extremely consistent on a snap-to-snap basis. He's technically sound as a run- and pass- blocker. I debated between Barton and Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon), my other top-ranked center, but Barton would be getting more first-round buzz if he hadn't missed a few games to lower-body injuries.

I've learned after these years is the team more often than not, drafts a player I don't want or didn't even consider.

Sometimes it works out, Jaelen Phillips, Wilkens, Odrick and Tim Bowens come to mind. Other times not so much like an Iggy, Billy Milner or my all time "who the hell is that" Eric Kumerow.

I've learned after these years is the team more often than not, drafts a player I don't want or didn't even consider.

Sometimes it works out, Jaelen Phillips, Wilkens, Odrick and Tim Bowens come to mind. Other times not so much like an Iggy, Billy Milner or my all time "who the hell is that" Eric Kumerow.
I unfortunately remember Milner and Kumerow. 🙄

If the contract projections I've seen on other sites are accurate, I think we trade down from #21 to add a mid-round pick or two this year, and let Wilkins, Hunt, and Williams all walk for high compensatory picks in 2025. If we were going to make a big splash in free agency, we'd have been more aggressive in clearing cap room.

Back
Top Bottom