Is The Most Recent Mel Kiper Mock Draft Plus The Palm Beach Post Worrisome? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is The Most Recent Mel Kiper Mock Draft Plus The Palm Beach Post Worrisome?

My preference at 21 would be to take a C. I do not agree that assumes that means that we walk away from Williams and Hunt. I also don't agree that we'd be walking away. If they leave it's b/c somebody offers them a ton of money. My understanding is that we're in negotiations with both. Williams will slow play it b/c he's coming off of an injury and believes he can get more if he can show he's healthy. So odds are we won't have any decision on Williams until close to the beginning of the season. I have C as one of the most critical positions on offense and the most critical position for the OL in this offense. I want Williams back, but I wouldn't gamble with the C position. I would draft a C (JPJ, preferably) and if we re-sign Williams use him at LG to start.

Hunt also made the decision to test FA. Reports are that we have a strong offer on the table. But from his POV it makes sense to see if he can get a one of those ridiculously large contracts that Gs have gotten recently, especially given the increased cap. Now those teams that have given those above market G contracts have generally regretted it. They aren't good financial decisions, but if I were Hunt's agent I would advise him to test FA regardless of what Miami offers.

So I don't agree that Miami is walking away from either of these players and I don't see anything troublesome about a mock that has Miami picking a C.

I totally agree.

I personally believe you develop an OL starting with the Center then the guards, then the tackles. You can always draft potential for guards and tackles, but you need to get a Center with brains and focus and leadership qualities that have been demonstrated.

Sometimes I'm soft but my wife assures me it happens to all men sometimes. I don't believe her!
I'm at a loss for words, but if I can still offer a few words of wisdom. - LOL
Get your shots updated. - LOL

Agreed. We should be able to trade back to the bottom of first/top second and get Barton. JPJ not so much. He might even be gone before 21.
I'm all for trading back and getting more draft picks.

We could take advantage of getting some good to very good offensive lineman all through this draft, and if we have more picks that would help a lot!

I'm all for trading back and getting more draft picks.

We could take advantage of getting some good to very good offensive lineman all through this draft, and if we have more picks that would help a lot!
100%. This draft is rich in quality OL so we would should take advantage of it. Trade down and pick up a 3rd or more. I’m ok even with multiple trade downs. This draft class has a lot to offer.

Kiper has the Dolphins taking a center, from Duke. Palm Beach Post is now out with an article pumping the same guy (2nd link below), although they position him as a guy that can play all 3 spots on the OL (the swiss army knife thing worries me I like knowing what a player is really good at as opposed to taking the risk of moving them around like Eichenberg who was the same type of thing).

Which means we don't resign Connor Williams. At the same time, we are hearing they won't be able to pay up to retain Rob Hunt. This would mean we roll into the season relying on a rookie at center, who may or may not turn out good, and a somewhat on the cheap replacement for Rob Hunt (or Eichenberg) at guard, and likely Terron Armstead at LT, who will of course be hurt all of the time. This, with the way our offense runs and what it needs to be successful, is a recipe for disaster (and getting Tua hurt again). I hope this situation does not come to pass. I think it is nuts to walk from both Williams and Rob Hunt, who are probably our two best OL (availability counts). The other thing I find scary is sometimes these mock drafts are based on what the pundit is hearing from sources. So maybe Kiper knows something? Or the Palm Beach Post reporter is hearing something? Where there is smoke there is fire, clearly the Dolphins are poking around this kid. On the other hand, pundits just need to get these things out in print, and they don't really think through each teams specific issues, and can be wildly off base. Or maybe I am nuts, and it is fine to let both Williams and Rob Hunt go, and spend the money elsewhere? I guess we will get some clues leading into the draft based on what the Dolphins decide to do with Hunt and Williams?

21. Miami Dolphins

Graham Barton, C, Duke

I noted in my debut mock that the Dolphins have decisions to make with free agent offensive linemen Connor Williams and Robert Hunt. The organization might get priced out of bringing them back. Miami cleared some cap space when it released edge rusher Emmanuel Ogbah and cornerback Xavien Howard, but it has other holes to fill, too.

With Barton, the Dolphins would get a veteran lineman who spent the past three seasons as the Blue Devils' starting left tackle. He started five games at center as a true freshman in 2020, though, and that's where I think he could be a rookie starter. At 6-5, Barton is extremely consistent on a snap-to-snap basis. He's technically sound as a run- and pass- blocker. I debated between Barton and Jackson Powers-Johnson (Oregon), my other top-ranked center, but Barton would be getting more first-round buzz if he hadn't missed a few games to lower-body injuries.

I wouldn’t worry too much. The pundits once outside of the top 5-10 pick have a remarkably low hit rate in terms of success if their predictions.i say this based on me following this in great detail for the past 24 years or so, they get it wrong all the time outside of the obvious top 6 or 7 picks.

Having said that, Barton would be a tremendous selection for us. I would predict that the dolphins would use the first round pick on a premium position which on the offensive line would be a tackle, probably to take over for Terrin Armstead when he’s injured and when he retires probably next year if he’s not outright cut this year.

This also means, wr, and edge would also be in play here but probably not defensive back just because the rating of that class seems to not be very high this year.

Center could be possible too based on player rating and what happens with Conner williams.

Trading back would be great too.

I wouldn’t worry too much. The pundits once outside of the top 5-10 pick have a remarkably low hit rate in terms of success if their predictions.i say this based on me following this in great detail for the past 24 years or so, they get it wrong all the time outside of the obvious top 6 or 7 picks.

Having said that, Barton would be a tremendous selection for us. I would predict that the dolphins would use the first round pick on a premium position which on the offensive line would be a tackle, probably to take over for Terrin Armstead when he’s injured and when he retires probably next year if he’s not outright cut this year.

This also means, wr, and edge would also be in play here but probably not defensive back just because the rating of that class seems to not be very high this year.

Center could be possible too based on player rating and what happens with Conner williams.

Trading back would be great too.
If JPJ isn’t available at 21 then trade back to the end of the 1st and pick up a 3rd +. Then take Frazier (center) or Barton and then Amedjie (OT) or Paul (OT) in the 3rd. That gives us a bit of flexibility with our 2nd rounder (55) to go Edge, WR, RB. And use a 6th on QB Milton or the QB from Notre Dame.

Kiper doesn't do well with predictions, but who does? Can you name me any analyst that gets half of his mock draft correct, even just for the first round?

100%. This draft is rich in quality OL so we would should take advantage of it. Trade down and pick up a 3rd or more. I’m ok even with multiple trade downs. This draft class has a lot to offer.

Just remember when you trade down you're going to give up the picks in between if you get what I'm saying...too many trade downs and your going to lose out....forcing you to have to scramble and trade back up ....which has happened before to Grier

Just remember when you trade down you're going to give up the picks in between if you get what I'm saying...too many trade downs and your going to lose out....forcing you to have to scramble and trade back up ....which has happened before to Grier
I’m usually against trading up, unless it’s for a QB that is a can’t miss prospect.

Back
Top Bottom