Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens

He is the starting QB for a franchise in the NFL, therefore he already is a franchise QB. The question is will he be a top 10 QB in the coming years and I happen to believe he will be. In fact I think he will be one of the best QB’s in the entire league within the next two years.

I was a proponent of Tua not playing last year for several reasons...hip injury, no rookie mini camp, mini camp, or preseason games, 4 new starters on OL including several rookies. Riding the bench for a year did not derail the career of Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, or Aaron Rodgers (3 seasons) and those are three top 10 all-time QBs in view. Lastly, Fitz was leading Miami to the second most ppg offensively (26) in franchise history, only the1984 team averaged more offensively so I thought Fitz had earned the right to continue to start while he was simultaneously being an exceptional mentor to Tua.

But they didn't ask me :nah: and it is what it is.

What gives me optimism Tua will take a giant leap this year besides the normal maturation process from rookie to 2nd year in the NFL is how hard of a worker Tua is and how much work he was able to put in this off season. He is doing everything the right way, giving him the best chance to improve and succeed. The constant feedback from those that have worked or been around Tua are two consistent themes, leadership and hard work. Those are two of the necessary requirements for all elite QBs along with accuracy and Tua has that.

This is the another reason for optimism that Tua will make big strides this year which I have not seen discussed much. Tua will be compared with both Burrow and Herbert, particularly Herbert since Miami had that option. Both Burrow and Herbert had significantly more experience in college than Tua.

Burrow...5th year senior, 28 starts, 945 pass attempts.

Herbert...true senior, 42 starts, 1293 pass attempts.

Tua...true junior, 24 starts, 684 pass attempts.

Being real, many of Tua's pass attempts were to WRs that were wide open, referred to as Alabama open. The talent and depth at WR during Tua's time at Alabama was better than perhaps any QB during their college career. Obviously could add Jalen Hurts into that conversation.

Point being, many of Tua's attempts in college were not throws under stress like there consistently is in the NFL. As Tua continues to get reps, reads defenses, trust his receivers, throws into tight windows, his confidence and game will grow. Obviously, adding Waddle and Fuller should help along with the maturity of the OL and hopefully upgrade at RT with Eichenberg.

What I really like about Tua is he is humble, clear on his values and principles, understands and focuses on what he has power over, and has a growth mindset which leads him to work diligently to improve.

He is the starting QB for a franchise in the NFL, therefore he already is a franchise QB. The question is will he be a top 10 QB in the coming years and I happen to believe he will be. In fact I think he will be one of the best QB’s in the entire league within the next two years.

I can appreciate what you're trying to say but by no means is the definition of "Franchise QB" equal to "Starting Quarterback"

In NFL, when speak of 'franchise QB', it doesn't mean a starting QB for a franchise. You know better.

Tua got long way go in nfl.. they got Tua rank tier 7 qb in 2021..Tua deserve start and make case to be franchise qb for dolphins..TBD in 3to 4 yr.

Last edited:
Two things that are going to make Tua better right out of the box Fuller and Waddle. Even if he is a system QB, we will be open a lot more. Our O-line should be better I would pass on throwing to Grant as well even if it was the right call. We should have a decent o-line, 5 good wideouts, 3 good tight ends. If our defense becomes what we think it can be. along with our improvement on offense, we are a team that this as well balanced as any in the NFL. We already had beaten teams in a variety of different ways . Defense, special teams, offense. We enhanced and improved all of these units in the offseason. Tua can be just a good qb this yr and we will go far, if he becomes Elite. The last 20 yrs of suffering will be worth it,

lol. talking about the rams throw to preston but doesnt account for preston changing his stem to the inside shoulder from the outside shoulder after the double move.

lol billy.

I was a proponent of Tua not playing last year for several reasons...hip injury, no rookie mini camp, mini camp, or preseason games, 4 new starters on OL including several rookies. Riding the bench for a year did not derail the career of Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, or Aaron Rodgers (3 seasons) and those are three top 10 all-time QBs in view. Lastly, Fitz was leading Miami to the second most ppg offensively (26) in franchise history, only the1984 team averaged more offensively so I thought Fitz had earned the right to continue to start while he was simultaneously being an exceptional mentor to Tua.

But they didn't ask me :nah: and it is what it is.

What gives me optimism Tua will take a giant leap this year besides the normal maturation process from rookie to 2nd year in the NFL is how hard of a worker Tua is and how much work he was able to put in this off season. He is doing everything the right way, giving him the best chance to improve and succeed. The constant feedback from those that have worked or been around Tua are two consistent themes, leadership and hard work. Those are two of the necessary requirements for all elite QBs along with accuracy and Tua has that.

This is the another reason for optimism that Tua will make big strides this year which I have not seen discussed much. Tua will be compared with both Burrow and Herbert, particularly Herbert since Miami had that option. Both Burrow and Herbert had significantly more experience in college than Tua.

Burrow...5th year senior, 28 starts, 945 pass attempts.

Herbert...true senior, 42 starts, 1293 pass attempts.

Tua...true junior, 24 starts, 684 pass attempts.

Being real, many of Tua's pass attempts were to WRs that were wide open, referred to as Alabama open. The talent and depth at WR during Tua's time at Alabama was better than perhaps any QB during their college career. Obviously could add Jalen Hurts into that conversation.

Point being, many of Tua's attempts in college were not throws under stress like there consistently is in the NFL. As Tua continues to get reps, reads defenses, trust his receivers, throws into tight windows, his confidence and game will grow. Obviously, adding Waddle and Fuller should help along with the maturity of the OL and hopefully upgrade at RT with Eichenberg.

What I really like about Tua is he is humble, clear on his values and principles, understands and focuses on what he has power over, and has a growth mindset which leads him to work diligently to improve.
But many of his throws were under stress as he extended those plays. Also those open receivers still needed the football to be thrown accurately or in stride

Back
Top Bottom